The 2024 Trade Deadline

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, interloper said:

If in some wild timeline we actually trade for Mason Miller, that trade almost by definition would include Basallo or Mayo. 

But highly doubtful he even is traded much less Elias agrees to what it would take. 

Yeah, I'd be absolutely shocked if we included either Mayo or Basallo for Mason Miller, as he is (IMHO) far too risky with his injury history to give up a top 10/top 20 talent.  But as you said, some wild timeline :P

Edited by Greg Pappas

Just say no to overpaying for Mason Miller.

First, unproven. Hasn't really pitched more than 30ish innings in the minors or majors.

And he's been really lackluster over his last 7 appearances: 4.82 ERA, 4.87 FIP.

We'd be overpaying for a reliever which is rarely, ever a good idea. 

23 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

We have the 2nd best OPS (.805) in the league vs LHP and it's a pretty big gap to 3rd.

What’s our numbers versus Ragans this year?  The reality is that we’re facing him Game One of a WC series versus KC at OPACY as of now. The Royals could go out and get Jordan Montgomery for Game Two. Why wouldn’t they make a move for a LH SP to throw vs us?

Edited by sportsfan8703

I think the Royals are scarier than the Guardians, but Central 2nd place it wouldn't be surprising if it became any of CLE-KCR-MIN.

Hopefully the Yankees bullet to dodge before the AL's #1 seed faces the 4 v. 5 winner.

David Fry and Ben Lively as two of Cleveland's YTD rWAR top six probably don't put much fear into Cashman or Elias.

Rosenthal reporting today a "wipeout lefty" a NYY top of wish list - maybe nice situation for Peter Bendix if Cashman and Elias both in on his guys.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What’s our numbers versus Ragans this year?  The reality is that we’re facing him Game One of a WC series versus KC at OPACY as of now. The Royals could go out and get Jordan Montgomery for Game Two. Why wouldn’t they make a move for a LH SP to throw vs us?

He allowed one hit over 6 the first time and allowed 7 runs and couldn’t get out of the second in the next appearance.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We scored 7 off Ragans and knocked him out in the 2nd inning the second time we faced him.

We scored 5 off Montgomery in 4 innings in the playoffs last season

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

What about a Scherzer type deal for Edwin Diaz? Where Mets pay majority contract and we give up better pieces.

You have that much faith in Diaz? He's allowed runs in 6 of his last 10 appearances. Yeah, the strikeouts are there, but man...I worry about the injury still being an issue going forward. 

44 minutes ago, interloper said:

While I understand this view of Scott completely, the numbers he's got right now are anything but a crapshoot. No comparison to Fuji whatsoever. 

If we are going non-Miller relievers. 

I would much rather go with Helsley than Scott.

• Upvote 1

Yimi Garcia and JD Martinez/Adam Ottavino are probably two trades that make the most sense for us. 

Andrew Miller 2.0 Garcia for DeLeon

Martinez/Ottavino for 1 of Stowers/Norby and top 30 pitching prospect. Hopefully not Povich or McDermott. 

It really sucks to give prospects up, but we all want a WS ring. 

43 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He hasn't allowed a run in his last 12 appearances. He hasn't allowed an earned run in his past 18 appearances.

I get that he’s hot right now. But I don’t trust that some of the command and control issues that he has had historically won’t return when we get to the biggest spots of the season.

IMO there are better/more reliable relievers that we can acquire and I would prefer one of them. Now if we were to acquire one of them AND Tanner Scott, I would be fine with that. But not Scott if he is our one magic bullet, seems to risky (unnecessarily) to me.