The 2024 Trade Deadline

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

if Ortiz and Hall gets Burnes, does Norby, McDermott and Horvath get the O's a year and a half of Helsley?

I really don't understand why we would do that? McDermott is in AAA w/ a 35% K rate and has great potential to be a Helsey type reliever.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DirtyBird said:

I really don't understand why we would do that? McDermott is in AAA w/ a 35% K rate and has great potential to be a Helsey type reliever.

Elias probably traded Hall because he didn't think Hall would become as good starter.   Does Elias believe that McDermott will be a good starter or a reliever?    

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias probably traded Hall because he didn't think Hall would become as good starter.   Does Elias believe that McDermott will be a good starter or a reliever?    

He probably traded Hall because he wanted to add Burnes to the rotation.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

I wouldn't assume STL is selling anything. They are playing fairly well and are positioned for a WC with so many bad teams in the NL.

You have a point.   Should be an interesting 7 weeks.

Just now, wildcard said:

You have a point.   Should be an interesting 7 weeks.

The problem with half the league making the playoffs (yes, yes, I know) is that teams that would normally figure they are out of it really aren't, for a long time. Hell, the 2022 O's were in until the last few games of the season and they were a .500'ish team.

3 hours ago, interloper said:

If in some wild timeline we actually trade for Mason Miller, that trade almost by definition would include Basallo or Mayo. 

But highly doubtful he even is traded much less Elias agrees to what it would take. 

And Miller is not unhittable like he was early in the season.  He’s been quite human the last 2 weeks or so.  Now I’m seeing 100 mph but no 102 or 103 and the slider isn’t as wicked.   

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

The problem with half the league making the playoffs (yes, yes, I know) is that teams that would normally figure they are out of it really aren't, for a long time. Hell, the 2022 O's were in until the last few games of the season and they were a .500'ish team.

But Elias traded Mancini and closer Lopez at the 2022 deadline.   And Elias said his team was not good enough to make the playoffs.   Then had to fly to Texas to smooth things over with his team.

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

His baseball savant page is all red. His expected ERA is 2 runs less. I think he’s a good buy low guy. Best case you have one of the best closers in baseball. Worst case you stash him in the 6th and 7th inning until he gets hot again.

What about his contract and what if he doesn’t get good again?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

But Elias traded Mancini and closer Lopez at the 2022 deadline.   And Elias said his team was not good enough to make the playoffs.   Then had to fly to Texas to smooth things over with his team.

That's what a good GM does. McDermott, Seth Johnson, Cano, Povich all came from those trades from guys that seemingly expired the moment they were traded.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

And Miller is not unhittable like he was early in the season.  He’s been quite human the last 2 weeks or so.  Now I’m seeing 100 mph but no 102 or 103 and the slider isn’t as wicked.   

I think the biggest concern with Miller is that the Athletics are going to ask for SP prices for him because he's got 5 years of team control left, even though he's been injured a lot.  I'd give up a lot for him but if their asking price isn't moving off of Holliday or Basallo/Kjerstad there isn't a snowball's chance in hell we accept that.

And I can't necessarily fault the A's for that approach because he's got a ton of control left, and because he did have a decent show as a starter last year.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He’s also got a .745 OPS against and a 5.74 BB/9.

I like the guy but have absolutely no appetite to see him pitch in a pressure situation down the stretch or in the playoffs.  I’d be happy to see him in a very low leverage situation, but he is not the answer to our bullpen issues.