The 2024 Trade Deadline

8 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Just to put Colorado Rockies player's stats into perspective... 

Thus, pitchers are 15% worse there than league average.  The 2nd rated park factor is Fenway, 8% lower at 106. 

It is for this reason mainly, I think they should check on his availability for trade here .  Despite hearing about weird Rockies FO , it can’t hurt to ask. Cal Quantril is better than Suárez, Irvin & Kremer as our # three starter. JMO 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He's a 30 year old UIF with a sub-100 OPS+ since opening day last year who is already in his arbitration years. Why would a rebuilding team trade anything of value that they have to market to contenders for that instead of prospects?

Dumping a high salary relief pitcher is a reason.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Pittsburgh needs to score some runs. Since it’s been the good Mitch Keller lately how about a block buster. Keller and Bednar for Mountcastle, Stowers, Norby and McDermott. Add a DSL or FCL player if needed. Pittsburgh gets 3 guys to plug in there offense today.

The Pirates are 2-3 games out of a playoff spot.   If they are going for it they’re not trading Bednar and Keller.  If they’re not going for it they don’t trade those guys for a package that includes Mountcastle.

13 hours ago, Warehouse said:

Below is the average rest-of-season FIP projection from Steamer, ZIPS, ATC, and The Bat:

Player

Avg

Garrett Crochet

Zach Eflin

Alex Cobb

Jack Flaherty

David Peterson

Braxton Garrett

Jesus Luzardo

Lance McCullers Jr

Nathan Eovaldi

Max Scherzer

Yusei Kikuchi

Chris Bassitt

Jordan Montgomery

Jon Gray

Sean Manaea

Reid Detmers

Paul Blackburn

Edward Cabrera

Jose Quintana

Erick Fedde

Luis Severino

Justin Verlander

Ross Stripling

Lance Lynn

Kyle Gibson

Miles Mikolas

Andrew Heaney

Frankie Montas

Ryan Weathers

Michael Lorenzen

Yonny Chirinos

Trevor Williams

Tyler Anderson

Rich Hill

Cal Quantrill

What is the purpose of "projecting" a stat that is supposed to be a predictive stat only? I can think of nothing more useless.

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The Pirates are 2-3 games out of a playoff spot.   If they are going for it they’re not trading Bednar and Keller.  If they’re not going for it they don’t trade those guys for a package that includes Mountcastle.

There offense is horrible. Mountcastle would go in as best hitter on the team and Stowers, Norby starters. I am not saying for them to tank but they need hitting.

3 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

There offense is horrible. Mountcastle would go in as best hitter on the team and Stowers, Norby starters. I am not saying for them to tank but they need hitting.

So, if your the Pirates you think trading your #1 or #2 starter and your closer for those 3 makes you a better team for the rest of THIS season?

6 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I worry about Keller ….pitching well then goes to a new team and pitches at the 4 ERA he was last season. 

8 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Pittsburgh signed Keller thru 2028.  As much as I would like to trade for him, I think they plan to build their rotation around Keller and Skenes.  Keller is a #2/3 with ace upside.  If their GM would think to move him, they would no doubt want a package starting w/ Mayo/Basallo or Holliday, fair or unfair. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, dystopia said:

What is the purpose of "projecting" a stat that is supposed to be a predictive stat only? I can think of nothing more useless.

Because I believe how it works is they project FIP and then adjust based on team defense and park factors to project ERA. Since we’re talking about a trade, the context-specific elements of defense and park factors are less relevant.

The projections have been shown to be more highly correlated with future performance than ERA or ERA estimators such as FIP.

VbryOoJ_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

t338FkQ_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Because I believe how it works is they project FIP and then adjust based on team defense and park factors to project ERA. Since we’re talking about a trade, the context-specific elements of defense and park factors are less relevant.

The projections have been shown to be more highly correlated with future performance than ERA or ERA estimators such as FIP.

VbryOoJ_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

t338FkQ_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

Mental masturbation for nerds… that’s all this will ever be. 

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I tend to doubt Pitt trades Keller but I think Bednar could be on the board. He hasn’t even the lights out guy so far that he has been in the past. Mountcastle and other make them a better offense and perhaps team right now.

Reading between the lines, one way of “figuring out ways to work him in” is by trading Urias or Mountcastle. It sounds like Elias is with everyone else wanting Mayo on the big league club ASAP. I think he’s probably working the phones trying to find an early deal ahead of the deadline to accommodate calling Mayo up. 

IMO I’d rather trade Urias than Mountcastle, but it’s hard finding a trade partner. The Royals have a pretty bad 2B/3B situation, that may be the best fit? Even if you’re only getting minor league players back for Urias it’s probably worth it to bring Mayo up, so long as it’s decent enough value for Urias. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Reading between the lines, one way of “figuring out ways to work him in” is by trading Urias or Mountcastle. It sounds like Elias is with everyone else wanting Mayo on the big league club ASAP. I think he’s probably working the phones trying to find an early deal ahead of the deadline to accommodate calling Mayo up. 

IMO I’d rather trade Urias than Mountcastle, but it’s hard finding a trade partner. The Royals have a pretty bad 2B/3B situation, that may be the best fit? Even if you’re only getting minor league players back for Urias it’s probably worth it to bring Mayo up, so long as it’s decent enough value for Urias. 

Urias going helps now but when Holliday is ready to come back up, someone else needs to go anyway. 

But I hope you are right.  A deal now makes sense for so many reasons but the other side has to play ball too.

The Rangers got Chapman “early” last year, so hopefully Elias is able to pull off something similar.