The 2024 Trade Deadline

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

Agreed. I still think it's more likely that Westburg will be traded before they try him in the OF. (I don't think either scenario will happen, realistically.) I think Westburg to 2B and Mayo to 3B will get a trial run at some point in the very near future.

The fact that Mateo is showing signs of going into his annual long funk supports your theory.  

21 minutes ago, Malike said:

You're probably right, but I'd maintain he wouldn't have a significantly better arm than Mullins.

You’re making progress.  You went from Westburg’s arm being “even worse” than Cedric’s to not significantly better.   

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

He doesn't have a strong arm. Even a professional scout like you should be able to see that.

I never said he had a strong arm.   It’s good enough for CF if he should ever move there which is highly doubtful.    Same goes for Holliday.

15 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

But why move Westburg to the outfield when he's a much better defensive infielder than Holliday, and when Holliday could just as easily convert to an OF? Holliday is around as fast as Westburg, so he'd have a better chance of converting to CF, as well as all 3 OF in general positions, without sacrificing infield defense.

Holliday is a mediocre defensive 2B at best, even worse at SS. I don't think a lot of casual fans realize that yet. 

Holliday is also 20years old.  When I hear people criticize his defense it seems like nobody is taking that into account.  If I remember correctly Westburg was considered average to slightly below average defender when he was coming up through the minors.  He was several years older than Holliday at the time, yet everyone seems pretty content with his play in the field.

I'm not saying Holliday is going to be a future gold glove winner, but he is far from being a finished product.

Just now, Malike said:

It means they got Civale without giving up much of anything but a lotto ticket.

Well, that’s not necessarily true.

They may have been able to get more of a  “sure thing” prospect but wanted the higher upside instead.

TB isn’t stupid. They wanted this kid for a reason.

Peospect rankings are overrated. MLB (which isn’t good) has him 21st..same spot they have Liranzo for us and no way Liranzo is our 21st best prospect..just like Fabian isn’t our 12th best prospect.