The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

A Friedman edge on Elias is a hot race is he can make Javier Baez obligations go away David Price style to get a coveted superstar.

The Tigers need young offensive talent. Jettisoning Baez doesn't solve that IMO.

Their problem isn't payroll right now (it's relatively low). Their problem is talent. Their offense is terrible and they don't nearly enough position player prospects (who are Major League ready or close) or enough young Major League players who can hit.

The Tigers don't have enough offensive talent to compete for anything anytime soon. Luckily for us, almost all of our "excess" resources are bats and not pitchers. Seems like a match. We'd have to give up one of the big three, but hey you got to spend money to make money right. Maybe Elias drafted a bunch of catchers early after determining Basallo is the guy that is being traded lol (not really). He's obviously the one that's the farthest away with the cloudiest path to a full time position. Would Basallo/Norby/Stowers/Bright get it done? That's a top 10 prospect, a top 100 prospect, a OF bat ready to play right now, and a decent pitching prospect. 

31 minutes ago, G54377 said:

The Tigers don't have enough offensive talent to compete for anything anytime soon. Luckily for us, almost all of our "excess" resources are bats and not pitchers. Seems like a match. We'd have to give up one of the big three, but hey you got to spend money to make money right. Maybe Elias drafted a bunch of catchers early after determining Basallo is the guy that is being traded lol (not really). He's obviously the one that's the farthest away with the cloudiest path to a full time position. Would Basallo/Norby/Stowers/Bright get it done? That's a top 10 prospect, a top 100 prospect, a OF bat ready to play right now, and a decent pitching prospect. 

I'm not opposed to this per say, though we need to probably use Stowers or Norby to get a bp arm.

Also, where is Norby listed as a top 100 prospect?

I think O's fans who think Basallo is blocked are off their rockers. The team is a foul tip away from having James McCann as its starting catcher. 

And Basallo isn't all that far away, either. I have no doubt he'd put up better numbers offensively right now than several guys on the major league roster, including McCann, Mateo, Urias, and Mullins. And if Adley or McCann go down with an injury, I'd rather see Basallo get called up to be the backup catcher over Hunt or Handley.

I think at this point if you're trading with Detroit, I'd also look into Reese Olson as well. He's been great and we get to keep him for longer. Detroit probably won't trade him, but I'd kick tires there and with Jamieson Tallion in Chicago too. Gotta wonder if Toronto will be sellers too, because Bassitt has value and it's a big sellers market this year. Granted, there's a snowballs chance in hell for the Orioles to trade with Toronto, but I think whoever misses out on Tarik Skubal has a realistic shot at those two. Texas could be in the mix too, I'd take Eovaldi and Scherzer if the price point prospect wise isn't bad. Hell, I'd look at Kirby Yates, Jose Urena and David Robertson would cost. 

Seattle will be looking for offense, Houston needs pitching too. Twins will go for pitching and they'll probably be creative in finding it. Does KC do anything? Who do the Yankees and Red Sox pursue? Padres, Mets, Diamondbacks and Braves will all buy. San Diego especially since Preller's seat is so hot I could make burritos on it. Will be an intensely fun deadline to watch, probably the most fun since 2016. 

Edited by MDtransplant757
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I think O's fans who think Basallo is blocked are off their rockers. The team is a foul tip away from having James McCann as its starting catcher. 

And Basallo isn't all that far away, either. I have no doubt he'd put up better numbers offensively right now than several guys on the major league roster, including McCann, Mateo, Urias, and Mullins. And if Adley or McCann go down with an injury, I'd rather see Basallo get called up to be the backup catcher over Hunt or Handley.

I don't doubt that he will be a very good hitter. But the issue is what is more valuable insurance for an Adley injury or an ace to help us pursue a World Series this season and potentially take the place of Burnes next year?

Our pitching isn't very good right now. The last 25 games we have allowed 5.6 runs a game. That's pretty terrible and certainly not sustainable for a successful second half and into the postseason. And if you allow Burnes to walk in the offseason, it gets that much worse next year.

I acknowledge that it is going to hurt to trade Basallo or Holliday or Mayo. But our pitching problem is a serious one that can't be ignored. And IMO "bandaid" additions are won't help make things better in the long run. We need to find a way to address/fix the problem both now and for next year.

8 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I think at this point if you're trading with Detroit, I'd also look into Reese Olson as well. He's been great and we get to keep him for longer. Detroit probably won't trade him, but I'd kick tires there and with Jamieson Tallion in Chicago too. Gotta wonder if Toronto will be sellers too, because Bassitt has value and it's a big sellers market this year. Granted, there's a snowballs chance in hell for the Orioles to trade with Toronto, but I think whoever misses out on Tarik Skubal has a realistic shot at those two. Texas could be in the mix too, I'd take Eovaldi and Scherzer if the price point prospect wise isn't bad. Hell, I'd look at George Kirby, Jose Urena and David Robertson would cost. 

Seattle will be looking for offense, Houston needs pitching too. Twins will go for pitching and they'll probably be creative in finding it. Does KC do anything? Who do the Yankees and Red Sox pursue? Padres, Mets, Diamondbacks and Braves will all buy. San Diego especially since Preller's seat is so hot I could make burritos on it. Will be an intensely fun deadline to watch, probably the most fun since 2016. 

IMO only Seattle has the type of higher end talent that could somewhat compete with our prospect stockpile.

I hear you on the need for a back up plan for Skubal and believe the front office has one. But Skubal solves a problem this season and next as he can serve as insurance against a possible Burnes loss as #1 starter. Bassitt, Tallion, Scherzer, etc do not. 

Again with the type of farm system that Seattle has, why would they deal Kirby and make their rotation (their only real strength) worse? 

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Let's look at it like this. They have one of the most valued commodities at the deadline, a Cy Young level SP. 

Why would they take back a return that includes ZERO top 100 players? Do you think no other contending team could easily beat that?

Not a chance 

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

IMO only Seattle has the type of higher end talent that could somewhat compete with our prospect stockpile.

I hear you on the need for a back up plan for Skubal and believe the front office has one. But Skubal solves a problem this season and next as he can serve as insurance against a possible Burnes loss as #1 starter. Bassitt, Tallion, Scherzer, etc do not. 

Again with the type of farm system that Seattle has, why would they deal Kirby and make their rotation (their only real strength) worse? 

Sure …but what we have and make available are two different things. 

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Kirby Yates is in Texas and who I was referenceing. My bad. 

Edited by MDtransplant757

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Sure …but what we have and make available are two different things. 

If we want top end, difference making talent then we are going to have to be willing to deal some away.

Usually it doesn't work where you can do a treasure for trash swap.