The 2024 Trade Deadline

16 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Dumpster diving.. surprise surprise 

Montas is very meh.

Martinez has some intriguing statcast numbers.

I don’t like the lack of Ks or missed bats but lots of other things are very good. Still, I’m not sure he’s a guy you want starting game 3.

26 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Dumpster diving.. surprise surprise 

Yuck.  Don't want Montas.  Martinez isn't bad but we need late inning relievers and starters, not swingment.   If the Reds are sellers, then the guy to target is Sam Moll.  He would immediately be the best lefty in our bullpen.  

I remember Cashman giving some pretty sharp comments during 2023 spring training after Montas played out mostly as damaged goods when the Yankees traded for him in 2022.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman was very frank with reporters when discussing the trade on Feb. 15 in Tampa, per Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

“We haven’t gotten access to the pitcher that we know what he is capable of when he is right,” Cashman said. “Clearly it hasn’t worked out at all. You know we didn’t really get anything out of it. I’m not looking for a headline of I regret the trade and then they run Montas down. This is part of doing business when you’re dealing with pitchers and there’s no guarantees and he came over with a clean bill of health. And obviously he wasn’t healthy, so the trade goes into a bad category. We gave up assets and we didn’t get anything for it. That’s also part of the business. I’ve traded players that have gone on and gotten hurt elsewhere and I’ve acquired players who [have gotten hurt]. You just don’t want to be a part of it, but it happens.”

6 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:
35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There not much in Delmarva besides Estrada I wouldn’t miss.  A few international guys with some upside but most haven’t done much this season.  

It’s more about the idea of giving up assets for someone who may not help you at all when you need it the most.

27 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Martinez has a 3.05 ERA in relief the last 3 seasons. He’d be a perfectly fine pickup but they still need another reliever that misses more bats. 

I don’t think he would be picked up to relieve. 

10 hours ago, Malike said:

They are 5 games back in the division. If the O's were 5 games back in the division on July 21st would you want them to sell?

Oh to be 5 games back in the division with a 47-52 record 🥴

But yeah, all you have to do is get in, win the small sample size game and voila, back-to-back titles.  The teams know how much of a crap shoot the MLB post season is that that's why it's hard to find sellers.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think he would be picked up to relieve. 

Don’t love that then. 4.83 career starter ERA to 2.95 career relief ERA. Might as well stick with Irvin/Povich in the 5 spot if they’re planning on starting him. 

Edited by LGOrioles

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Another thing I should say is that my chart doesn't speak to pitch efficiency or how may pitches teams allow their pitchers to throw.   That data isn't easily collected.   But it could be that O's pitchers don't throw a ton of innings because they walk a lot of guys and reach their pitch count limits sooner than a typical team's pitchers do.
    • On the specific question of whether the O's push their starting pitching prospects' workloads far enough, I had a look at all MiL pitchers in the AL who had thrown at least 90 innings, by team, and broke them into groups of 90-99, 100-109, 110-119, and 120+ innings.   This chart summarizes my findings: Team 120+ 110-119 100-109 90-99 Total 90+ Total 110+ BAL 0 1 4 9 14 1 NYY 4 4 2 6 16 8 BOS 0 3 1 5 9 3 TBR 5 4 4 1 14 9 TOR 1 0 5 2 8 1 CLE 7 3 3 2 15 10 MIN 1 3 3 3 10 4 KCR 3 4 4 7 18 7 DET 0 2 4 7 13 2 CWS 2 3 5 4 14 5 HOU 1 4 6 6 17 5 SEA 4 6 3 4 17 10 TEX 1 1 4 8 14 2 OAK 2 1 2 5 10 3 LAA 4 1 4 4 13 5 AL Ave. 2.33 2.67 3.60 4.87 13.47 5.00 Now, there is some incomplete information here.   It won't pick up a pitcher who had 70 innings with one organization and 20 with another, for example.  It obviously can't tell you which organizations lost pitchers to injuries.  And, it doesn't account for the age and experience of pitchers, which can matter a lot with regard to how much workload a team is comfortable with for a pitcher.    All that said, you can see that the Orioles are at the very bottom of the number of pitchers who have thrown 110+ innings.   They only have one, Alex Pham, who is at 115.   The average team has 5, and two teams have as many as 10.  The O's also are one of only three AL teams that have no pitcher who has thrown 120 innings.  The average team has 2.33, and Cleveland has 7.    I might also add that there are a good number of pitchers on the list who have thrown 130+ innings or more.    On the other hand, the O's have a pretty normal number of pitchers (14) who have thrown at least 90 innings (average was 13.47 and the median was 14).  There are some teams like Boston and Toronto who have a lot fewer than that. All in all, I wouldn't say the Orioles are at the very top of the "baby the pitchers" list, but they are certainly leaning heavily in that direction, based on this data (with the caveats I gave above).
    • Some might call it arrogance, others might call it resolve. I think it's as simple as identifying a problem/situation, analyzing it to the best of your ability and that of the resources at your disposal, reaching a conclusion, and sticking to that decision based on the analysis that brought you to that decision. Beyond that, Elias will learn when and how to adjust as he gains experience in the #1 chair.  Honestly, I don't even have any gripes with him at the moment. We all wanted Holliday up, then he stunk. Then we all wanted Mayo up, then he stunk. So who are we complaining about now? I can't even keep up. Not to derail, but it's the same unfair criticism that Hyde is facing on this board. Manager and GM sure have become thankless responsibilities around here. And I know how you all talk about Harbaugh on the football board, too. I'm not apologist for any of them, but I do admire the fact that they've been able to build a championship-caliber club and maintain it through all of the injury adversity we've faced. This board is quick to point out mistakes, but is terrible at giving credit where credit is due, and having the most wins in the American League as we sit here on September 6 deserves a bunch of credit. 
    • Great example, even if we only kept him for part of the season.  Holzman was one of those guys whose success defined explanation, especially by current standards.  He went 5 - 4 for us with a tidy 2.86 ERA... but he allowed 100 hits in 97 innings and allowed more walks (35) than KOs (25).  
    • Is it really more difficult? Much more?    To this O’s fan, the 1970s were a lot “easier” than the 2000s. 
    • That seems to require that Dominguez would be the better contributor. 
    • I live in California and prices for games in SF and Oakland change day-to-day. That is just normal in 2024, any price is only the price at the moment.
  • Popular Contributors