The 2024 Trade Deadline

20 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Don’t love that then. 4.83 career starter ERA to 2.95 career relief ERA. Might as well stick with Irvin/Povich in the 5 spot if they’re planning on starting him. 

Maybe they could get 2 starters and eventually put him in the pen.

I still think Luzardo is very much in play for the Os. I could see a scenario where they get a guy like Martinez to start for a while.  Luzardo isn’t back until mid to the end of August. Eventually he gets the rotation spot and Martinez ends up in the pen.

Montas is at least another pure rental option on the market. I don’t think they’ll do Flaherty, and there’s the in-division hurdle for Kikuchi, and there wasn’t anybody else after them. The 1.5 year pitchers will be much more expensive and other than Fedde their teams may not even be motivated to deal them.

Montas is clearly not the pitcher he once was, and his results this year have been bad, but he’s been healthy all season and his pitch modeling is decent. He’s bounced back closer to his pre-injury form in Stuff+ and Pitching Bot. He’s also on a pretty sizable salary and won’t get a QO, so he should be cheap. Decent chance he pitches better in the second half as he gets further removed from the injuries. Definitely not Option A or even Option B, but better than nothing as Option C. 

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Maybe they could get 2 starters and eventually put him in the pen.

I still think Luzardo is very much in play for the Os. I could see a scenario where they get a guy like Martinez to start for a while.  Luzardo isn’t back until mid to the end of August. Eventually he gets the rotation spot and Martinez ends up in the pen.

I think Luzardo is exactly the type of guy we should target for beyond this year. I think we may want another starter if we acquired him, especially since he’s injured, but trying to buy low on his talent would be 👌

25 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I think Luzardo is exactly the type of guy we should target for beyond this year. I think we may want another starter if we acquired him, especially since he’s injured, but trying to buy low on his talent would be 👌

Who would you rather have for this postseason?  Luzardo or Kikuchi?  Give me Kikuchi for this year. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think many on here are really overrating Kukuchi. 

Who else is a better fit and available than Kikuchi is?  We need a LH SP.  If not then I prefer Fedde.

Skubal - Gonna cost way too much

Crochet - See above

Snell - is he even available?

Tyler Anderson - is he better than Kikuchi?

Heaney - that’s an interesting name 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Who else is a better fit and available than Kikuchi is?  We need a LH SP.  If not then I prefer Fedde.

Crochet - See above

We have no idea if an in division trade is even feasible.

I feel like trading for Kikuchi is doing a deal just to make a deal.   I actually feel like he’s better suited to be a guy to put in the pen.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We have no idea if an in division trade is even feasible.

I feel like trading for Kikuchi is doing a deal just to make a deal.   I actually feel like he’s better suited to be a guy to put in the pen.

I hear you there. I think Fedde is realistic and good. He shouldn’t cost any of the big 3 or Cowser. Maybe EBJ. Their GM knows our system well. 

On 7/20/2024 at 5:41 AM, Roll Tide said:

Has he really been given an opportunity? Hard to prove anything stuck at AAA or on the bench up here. Stowers has 36 ABs this year and the same amount last. He’s appeared 19 games …so 2 per game. And was recalled May 13 to June 19th (optioned to AAA). Plus the last two games before the ASB. 

You can’t say he hasn’t performed because he has an .800 OPS. Yet has only played in half the games and only enough to average 2 ABs.

Agreed. Stowers has been stuck in AAA due to the Orioles outfield depth and I think he's still going to end up an everyday guy for someone. He's not going to hit for a high average, but he's going to hit bombs, and he's going to be solid defensively with his new found speed. 

Stowers has holes in his swing, but he also is a guy who can look totally lost 2 or 3 at bats in a game, and then hit that bomb in the 9th to win it. I'm still a Stowers believer and to be honest, if he was eligible, he might be the #4 prospect behind the big 3. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Crochet - See above

Other than Kikuchi's K numbers and his low walk numbers what is there to really like about him?

He's being barreled up a lot. And while the change up has been good for him this year, the fastball has been getting hammered. Look at the WHIP and ERA numbers. They are worse than Kremer's.

Just because he's left handed doesn't make him an upgrade. His numbers are okay vs lefties. But IMO he's not good enough to neutralize elite LHBs like Soto (who has homered off of him this year) or Devers (who has homered off of him this season and last). He did get the better of Harper in 3 ABs last season though.

I don't think it is ever wise to make a decision with the rationale, "well at least this is the best of bad options". 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, eddie83 said:

The Giants love ex-Orioles. lol

Good 'ol cash considerations gets another 26th man on a major league roster. Good for Baumann though. He gets to stay in the big leagues.

• Upvote 1

Would Shohei Ohtani rather have Yusei Kikuchi or Garrett Crochet?

If Skubal were not in rumors, I'd guess higher probability Crochet would move before the last hours.    When one individual is clearly the best guy, the selling GM can ask for best offers a week in advance and probably get them.     Almost all the players want that clarity.      That changes once a 2nd similar option emerges.

I do think Tanner Scott has separated himself from the field in BJ Ryan/Andrew Miller kinds of ways, and tomorrow night is an interesting mini-deadline with BAL and MIA opening a series.    Would Elias give EBJ for Scott?     (Sorry, Jud Fabian..)

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The only players they should be acquiring are those they want to pitch in the postseason in big situations.  

Any acquisition that doesn’t accomplish that is a waste of time and resources. 

Montas is an example of a waste of time and resources.

I agree for the most part. I do think the impact arms are the guy they should target and are the guys they need. Saying that, if they can improve the team without giving up the big-3 I'm not against that either. Will I be disappointed if they don't get impact arms, yes I will, but I don't think you necessarily give up on improving team if you can't swing those deals.  

I do agree that Montas doesn't do much for us unless they plan to put him in the pen as a fastball, split-finger guy and hope his stuff plays up in relief. That's really risky though. 

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Would Shohei Ohtani rather have Yusei Kikuchi or Garrett Crochet?

If Skubal were not in rumors, I'd guess higher probability Crochet would move before the last hours.    When one individual is clearly the best guy, the selling GM can ask for best offers a week in advance and probably get them.     Almost all the players want that clarity.      That changes once a 2nd similar option emerges.

I do think Tanner Scott has separated himself from the field in BJ Ryan/Andrew Miller kinds of ways, and tomorrow night is an interesting mini-deadline with BAL and MIA opening a series.    Would Elias give EBJ for Scott?     (Sorry, Jud Fabian..)

I'll be honest, I'm going to be disappointed if we leave Miami without Scott. The Marlins owe us anyway for giving us crap for him in the first place. lol

Scott would upgrade our 8th inning situation.