The 2024 Trade Deadline

28 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d imagine each is waiting for the other to blink 

Tigers don't need to trade Skubal, but if they get the Orioles to blink by trading one of their top three prospects the Tigers will (likely) deal. I can't see a trade for Skubal happening because neither side is going to cave to the other's demands.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

29 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree … not sure Mountcastle is a non difference making player. Mountcastle has OPS of .762 …. France is .662 and Locklear is .547. He’d be a significant upgrade to an offense that needs to score runs. 

That’s said … I doubt Dipoto would deal a pitcher at this point. So again we agree. 

It's not that he is not better than what they have. But he is not good enough (not an .800 OPS+) to demand the type of return (young controllable starter) that some were suggesting.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Bednar for Mounty would be so great.

And then go get a stud lefty reliever.

And you will have plenty left for another starter.

I've been pining after Bednar for years. Looks like he's been great other than his rough April. Sign me up.

27 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Very interesting.

Perhaps Detroit's ask is too high for Elias at the moment since there are still a decent amount of other options out there but not high enough that he's ready to give Harris a hard "no" in case the rest of the market does not go his way in the next 24-30 hours.

20 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Seems to be some conflicting reports on Skubal’s availability but nonetheless it’s encouraging if Elias is looking to add another good starter versus a #5 type. Bullpen is almost even more of a need at this point but if he can walk away with a backend BP option to go along with a TOR starter, that would be pretty great.

I think bullpen is the bigger need at this point, but if Elias adds another starter and high leverage bullpen arm I will be satisfied. I'm hoping for two more bullpen arms, but that might not happen with Dominguez already being added.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And then go get a stud lefty reliever.

Sam Moll from Cincinnati is an interesting under-the-radar guy who isn't going to be part of the long-term picture there and thus should be available. Probably wouldn't cost a ton too.

26 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

In the AL at least who has a better starting 3 right now? SEA for sure. KC maybe? You put way too much stock in starting pitching for the playoffs when all available evidence says the bullpen matters significantly more.

Right now our starting staff nor our bullpen has been good for over a month. We are surrendering about 6 runs a game since Bradish went down.

Who is better in that span? About 27 other teams. Every AL contender except maybe the Red Sox.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Very interesting.

Perhaps Detroit's ask is too high for Elias at the moment since there are still a decent amount of other options out there but not high enough that he's ready to give Harris a hard "no" in case the rest of the market does not go his way in the next 24-30 hours.

The market has shown that people are not overpaying. Tigers will have to take price down.

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It's not that he is not better than what they have. But he is not good enough (not an .800 OPS+) to demand the type of return (young controllable starter) that some were suggesting.

Mounty's OPS would likely be higher in SEA.  It's currently higher away from OPACY.  And his expected HR total in SEA is 15.  An .800 l+ OPS is in the realm of possible.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/ryan-mountcastle-663624?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

None of that trumps GM and budgetary approach.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I like Kjerstad, but if he can headline a trade package for Skubal then I think the Orioles have to make the deal.

I think they would hold before accepting Kjerstad as the headliner. I certainly would.

But if they would?

BRB, gotta go start the "Kjerstad Appreciation Thread."