The 2024 Trade Deadline

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Good for him 

Oh, I forgot how little you know.

OPS+ is what they call an "advanced statistic"  I won't go into a lot of detail about it since I don't you stressing out trying to read a bunch this early in the day, but 100 is "average"  118 is not "league average or so".

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Except for a team like the Tigers. I’m guessing they want a MLB ready bat for Flaherty. The problem with Norby though is that they already have Colt Keith and he’s a bad defender at 2B, neither of them play 3B. 

I just doubt Flaherty is really on our radar although it’s possible but sure if a Skubal trade can be worked out, Detroit is perhaps interested in players close to or at the ML level.

15 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I agree with some of this post, but essentially saying that Ward and Pillar are the two remaining RHH OF on the board is unlikely to be true.  Those two have been talked about most often as trade candidates, but just because players are featured in articles/tweets, etc. doesn't mean there aren't several others available.  No one saw Soler being dealt to Atlanta, for instance.  But back to your point about the Angels... there are fits there that may fill needs, so a package deal remains a possibility.

Sure, there could always be a trade for someone not rumored. But with Thomas and Pham traded (and Rooker and Andujar not really viable LF defenders), the only rumored available righty OF are the pair of Angels. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh, I forgot how little you know.

OPS+ is what they call an "advanced statistic"  I won't go into a lot of detail about it since I don't you stressing out trying to read a bunch this early in the day, but 100 is "average"  118 is not "league average or so".

If you know it, everyone knows it. Your knowledge of the game can be fit into a thimble.

But thanks for being that little engine that could that tries so hard to show us what little you know.  It’s always good for entertainment.  Now, we will give you a virtual pat on the head and send you back to bed with some warm milk.

• Haha 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I just doubt Flaherty is really on our radar although it’s possible but sure if a Skubal trade can be worked out, Detroit is perhaps interested in players close to or at the ML level.

At this point, Flaherty is by far the best starter definitely available behind Snell and Crochet. I sure hope he’s on their radar. 

On the high level last night, it was notable Morosi kind of people's notes was the Orioles were in on all the top rotation guys.    There is a non-zero chance Elias is arbitraging Snell, Skubal and Crochet today.

Tier 1 - Holliday, Mayo, Basallo, Cowser

Tier 2 - Kjerstad, Bradfield, McDermott, Forret

Which tier anchors if anything big happens?

2 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Nightengale reporting that the Giants plan to keep Snell. Pretty much only leaves Crochet and Flaherty as impact guys widely known to be available. 

Just saw that. Could be true, could be a smokescreen or could be bad info.

Personally, I’m still more concerned about them finding more high leverage relievers than another starter.

That said, if they wanted another starter, they should have traded for Fedde..Os should have been able to beat that offer although I guess you never know how much a team falls in love with a particular prospect.

Edited by Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Except for a team like the Tigers. I’m guessing they want a MLB ready bat for Flaherty. The problem with Norby though is that they already have Colt Keith and he’s a bad defender at 2B, neither of them play 3B. 

Colt Keith was primarily a 3B in the minors.   He started more games (129) there than at 2B.   I believe part of the reason they moved him to 2B was because they also have Jace Jung in the system and wanted to figure a way to have them both fit onto their future roster.    Norby might not be a Tigers fit for that reason.

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

On the high level last night, it was notable Morosi kind of people's notes was the Orioles were in on all the top rotation guys.    There is a non-zero chance Elias is arbitraging Snell, Skubal and Crochet today.

Tier 1 - Holliday, Mayo, Basallo, Cowser

Tier 2 - Kjerstad, Bradfield, McDermott, Forret

Which tier anchors if anything big happens?

Has there been a prospect traded, as of yet, that would be in tier 2?  Maybe what the Astros traded?  I’m sure I’m missing someone off the top of my head but the reality is that teams aren’t getting a ton, which is exactly what happens most trade deadlines and why most trade deadline deals don’t work out for either side.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Personally, I’m still more concerned about them finding more high leverage relievers than another starter.

That said, if they wanted another starter, they should have traded for Fedde..Os should have been able to beat that offer although I guess you never know how much a team falls in love with a particular prospect.

I definitely think a reliever is higher priority than a starter at this point, but it also seems like every game that Burnes/Rodgriguez/Eflin hasn’t started since the break has been a shit show. I have very little faith in Suarez or any of those other options at this point, even it’s just as a number 5 for the next 2 months. Ideally they can nab both a starter and a reliever today.

Just now, LGOrioles said:

I definitely think a reliever is higher priority than a starter at this point, but it also seems like every game that Burnes/Rodgriguez/Eflin hasn’t started since the break has been a shit show. I have very little faith in Suarez or any of those other options at this point, even it’s just as a number 5 for the next 2 months. Ideally they can nab both a starter and a reliever today.

I think Kremer can be fine. He has been for 2 years.

In still in favor of a guy like Detmers and don’t sleep on Luzardo as an under the radar trade target today. I still think something could happen there.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m guessing we were in talks about Snell but didn’t want to meet Giants requested price in prospects for a rental with “player option” financial risk.  It sounds like Skubal isn’t moving (asking for 2 of big three?) and I’d guess Crochet innings restrictions would scare us off that deal.

I still expect another starter, even if only a pure depth/insurance play.  

I anticipate a trade with Miami (Scott, Bender, Nardi) or CWS (Brebbia, Banks) for a reliever today. Plus Pillar.

With NYY in on Yandy Diaz, Jack Flaherty, and Tanner Scott, we’ll likely need a meaningful move to keep pace.

If we're hypothetically trading with the Angels, doesn't Rengifo make more sense than Ward, especially with Matteo out? He can play 2nd, 3rd,  and SS, and hits at a slightly higher than league average. Especially if they think Holliday isn't ready and are concerned about Mayo's defense.