The 2024 Trade Deadline

15 hours ago, Malike said:

Even by that metric, there are 24 3B with better arms. He doesn't have a strong arm, it's obvious, he was 21st percentile last year at 2B.

I think you’re probably right that Westburg would have a below average arm in the OF.  I think you’re wrong that his arm is weaker than Cedric’s, due to the difference between IF and OF throws.   Just for example, last year Mookie Betts averaged 88.1 as a RF but 79.3 as a 2B, and this year he’s averaging 78.3 as a SS.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think you’re probably right that Westburg would have a below average arm in the OF.  I think you’re wrong that his arm is weaker than Cedric’s, due to the difference between IF and OF throws.   Just for example, last year Mookie Betts averaged 88.1 as a RF but 79.3 as a 2B, and this year he’s averaging 78.3 as a SS.

You're probably right, but I'd maintain he wouldn't have a significantly better arm than Mullins.

20 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Exactly. Just three back, so it's interesting that they'd send Civale off.  Maybe they decided to move on from him but keep their team together otherwise? Dunno.

TB probably feels what they have coming back replaces Civale, so might as well trade him and get value.

Same thought process I have with dealing Mounty.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know, Cedric sets the bar pretty low (41st of 50 CF).  I guess there’s only one way to find out, and I doubt we’ll find out.  

Agreed. I still think it's more likely that Westburg will be traded before they try him in the OF. (I don't think either scenario will happen, realistically.) I think Westburg to 2B and Mayo to 3B will get a trial run at some point in the very near future.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

TB probably feels what they have coming back replaces Civale, so might as well trade him and get value.

Same thought process I have with dealing Mounty.

The Rays traded a highly rated prospect for exactly 1 year of Civale. It will be interesting to see what they get back from MIL.

27 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

What ??  They waving the white flag 🏳️ already ?  They’re only 3 games behind the last WC spot 

Civale has a 5.01 ERA.  He’s going to get replaced by Shane Baz who’s twice as talented.  Not only is it not a white flag, it’s probably a move that makes them better right away.

26 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Exactly. Just three back, so it's interesting that they'd send Civale off.  Maybe they decided to move on from him but keep their team together otherwise? Dunno.

If you could get better production for less cost and pick up a talented player in return, wouldn’t you do that?