The 2024 Trade Deadline

45 minutes ago, justD said:

I haven't read enough of the thread to know if this has already been discussed and panned, but why not consider trading for Crochet to use as a middle relief/setup guy this season, then keep him for next year as a starter? Solves the innings issue and shores up next year's rotation should we lose Burnes. 

Don't flame me too badly.  Simply getting someone like Tanner Scott to fill that void will make me pull my hair out, and in my opinion, bullpen woes are at least an equal (if not greater?) concern to starting pitching right now.

If we are going to give up a serious prospect haul, I would rather try to acquire Skubal who probably doesn’t have any inning restriction and can help beyond middle relief and bullpen.

Don’t get me wrong we need a backend bullpen guy. But we also need a starter too.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Your points are mostly fair, but I’m not proposing you trade six years of Mayo or Basallo for an expensive old vet.  You should be offering one of them up for someone like Skubal.  And yes, Basallo & Mayo have elite offensive profiles, but both could end up at 1B / DH so let’s not compare them to Gunnar.  It’s not like I’m here telling you to trade Holliday.

If you don’t go that route, your options are either less impactful SP additions or using Kjerstad in a similar manner as Ortiz and buying a high end guy with limited control.  Personally, I thing you’re better off cashing in on Basallo or Mayo and better balancing your major league roster for the next handful of years than the other options.  I mean, it seems like you are gong to need to add multiple arms for 2025 and burning through a lot of prospect capital on rentals is going to make that even harder to pull off.

This makes a lot of sense.

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And that’s totally fair.  Skubal is a much safer pitcher and he’s a guy I’d make a big offer for.  He potentially gets you three bites at the apple, which is the window you guys should be focused on.

I don’t know if we only have a “3 year window”. But I do accept that things can change quickly and it really isn’t wise when trying to project beyond 3 years. Too many variables.

2 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

The article takes a comment by Elias, makes up a hypothetical, the ChiSox board runs with it and then bashes the guy that quotes Elias as "making stuff up" and calls Elias a liar.

This is how today's culture works and it's dangerous.

Yea and somehow that guy is the idiot. It’s truly hilarious. 

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

This makes a lot of sense.

It doesn’t make sense. Especially the pitching part. Right now we have 27 million committed to next year’s contracts. Yes with Arbitration and other variables it’s between 50-75 million. That leaves you at least 50 million to fill pitching needs. We do not need one position player filled. There is plenty of room on the roster for Mayo and Basallo. James McCann and Mountcastle will be replaced.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea and somehow that guy is the idiot. It’s truly hilarious. 

Side note, I learned one thing reading that thread - Sports Illustrated is faking a writer using AI, its name is "Sean O'Leary".  I wonder if it has a fake birth certificate and social security number?

9 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

It doesn’t make sense. Especially the pitching part. Right now we have 27 million committed to next year’s contracts. Yes with Arbitration and other variables it’s between 50-75 million. That leaves you at least 50 million to fill pitching needs. We do not need one position player filled. There is plenty of room on the roster for Mayo and Basallo. James McCann and Mountcastle will be replaced.

You are going to outbid the competition for a Skubal caliber SP with money?  You think that is easier than signing a 1B who can replace Mountcastle and an average backup catcher?

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You are going to outbid the competition for a Skubal caliber SP with money?  You think that is easier than signing a 1B who can replace Mountcastle and an average backup catcher?

You don’t need to outbid them because that’s a dumb way of doing business and this team just isn’t going to do that.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You don’t need to outbid them because that’s a dumb way of doing business and this team just isn’t going to do that.

Not sure what you’re arguing here.  That dude just said you’ll have $50M to spend in free agency on pitching and seemed to imply there was no need to trade for a high end starter like Skubal when you can sign one in free agency.  Obviously I don’t there is any chance in hell you sign a pitcher of that caliber, hence the purpose of my post.

6 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Why can't we trade for Scherzer and Crochet? Put Crochet in the bullpen for the stretch run and you still got your Burnes replacement for next year.

You could definitely do that.  However, I’d use Crochet as an opener until the playoffs (keep him on a regular regimen) and then unleash him in October.  Two NL GMs with interest in him seemed to imply they’d do the same thing.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not sure what you’re arguing here.  That dude just said you’ll have $50M to spend in free agency on pitching and seemed to imply there was no need to trade for a high end starter like Skubal when you can sign one in free agency.  Obviously I don’t there is any chance in hell you sign a pitcher of that caliber, hence the purpose of my post.

You can sign a Chris Bassitt/Eovaldi/Gray type guy and trade for someone else. 

If I were the Os, I would be trying to acquire a pitcher like Detmers, Cabrera, etc…someone with a great arm that we can take away from a garbage org and “fix them”.

I also think a Luzardo deal could happen as I could see the Os trying to pry him away for 70 cents on the dollar and I could see Miami saying, we need to do something with him.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why do we need to outbid someone for Skubal? We still have Bradish and Grayson for years to come. Also a punchers chance at resigning Corbin Burnes. You know what our record was before we signed Burnes? Best record in the AL. You know what our record has been since Bradish got hurt? Tracked down Yankees and took 3 game lead. We have resources to sign players next year. Elias is a value vs risk guy. He got Burnes with Joey Ortiz which is a top 50-60 prospect. He’s not giving up top 10 prospect for a player with 178 innings pitched. I like Crochet a lot but his track record isn’t long enough.