The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

A trade idea with the LAA Angels:
O's receive RH Closer Carlos Estevez (31) FA after this season
Angels receive RH Starter Jackson Baumeister & RH Reliever Trace Bright

This seems about right, though I might be convinced that we're not giving up enough.

Why do Angels need our pitchers ?  What’s wrong with our position players ?  Smh 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Os should try to deal from their strength…position players.

What’s the point of drafting more position players if no teams want them ?  Why don’t we  draft more pitchers if that’s what other teams want  from Orioles ?   (Perplexed)

9 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

Why do Angels need our pitchers ?  What’s wrong with our position players ?  Smh 

I covered this with @Sports Guy.  The Angels need everything.  When looking at our system, the natural inclination is to deal from our strength, which is position players.  But in looking at what seemed fair, in exchange for Estevez, I couldn't find a positional player(s) match that felt right.  I hope one day you might forgive my insolence. 😁

What position player(s) would you prefer?

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

I covered this with @Sports Guy.  The Angels need everything.  When looking at our system, the natural inclination is to deal from our strength, which is position players.  But in looking at what seemed fair, in exchange for Estevez, I couldn't find a positional player(s) match that felt right.  I hope one day you might forgive my insolence. 😁

Maybe they’d have an interest in Norby or Stowers. I believe Norby is going to be a plus bat first hitter. The question has to be if they have a place for him to play.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Maybe they’d have an interest in Norby or Stowers. I believe Norby is going to be a plus bat first hitter. The question has to be if they have a place for him to play.

Norby or Stowers feels like too much to give for a half a season of Estevez.  I considered Fabian.  It's never easy trying to figure out what makes sense. :)

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Question: What would you be willing to trade for Detroit's ace Tarik Skubal? Skubal (27) has 2.5 years of control remaining, and while an excellent starter, has never thrown more than 149.1 innings in his career.  That was in 2021. Since then, he's thrown 117.2 and 80.1 in '22 & '23 and 86 IP thus far this season. The flexor tendon injury was the cause of the drop in IP in '22 & '23. He looks great this season and will likely exceed his prior high of 149.1 IP if he remains healthy.

Detroit is 6.5 GB in the wild card race and has very little hope of making the playoffs.  They need a lot, especially offensively. 

What sort of offer do you think you'd make that could get the Tigers to bite?  Would you rather look elsewhere and pay less?

Edited by Greg Pappas

20 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Question: What would you be willing to trade for Detroit's ace Tarik Skubal? Skubal (27), while an excellent starter, has never thrown more than 149.1 innings in his career, doing it just once in 2021. Since then, he's thrown 117.2 and 80.1 in '22 & '23 and 86 IP thus far this season. The flexor tendon injury was the cause of the drop in IP in '22 & '23. He looks great this season and will likely exceed his prior high of 149.1 IP if he remains healthy.  He has 2.5 years of control remaining.

Detroit is 6.5 GB in the wild card race and has very little hope of making the playoffs.  They need a lot, especially offensively. 

What sort of offer do you think you'd make that could get the Tigers to bite?  Would you rather look elsewhere and pay less?

Any one of these trades I would like to trade big league talent as well as prospects. I think what we are not realizing is the lower minors has a ton of talented hitters right now. I would propose Mayo/Basallo, Norby, Kremer, Stowers and a low level hitter.

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

You’re forgiven buddy 😎,all good . You mentioned that Angels need everything so……with that in mind I glanced at Orioles Top 30 list .  I took off Holiday, Basallo & Mayo because they’re untouchables , right ?

What’s left is Kjerstad, Norby , Bradfield , Fabian , Wagner , Beavers , etc . The Angels can’t use these position players ?   But I won’t worry because that’s Elias job 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

You’re forgiven buddy 😎,all good . You mentioned that Angels need everything so……with that in mind I glanced at Orioles Top 30 list .  I took off Holiday, Basallo & Mayo because they’re untouchables , right ?

What’s left is Kjerstad, Norby , Bradfield , Fabian , Wagner , Beavers , etc . The Angels can’t use these position players ?   But I won’t worry because that’s Elias job 

They could use them, yes.  I don't believe, at all, that we'd have to give up Kjerstad or Bradfield or Beavers. But I could be underestimating what we'd need to send back.  In that light, perhaps Norby could be in play?  Even he seems too high a price to pay.  Fabian, yes. Wagner, yes.

Edited by Greg Pappas

32 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Question: What would you be willing to trade for Detroit's ace Tarik Skubal? Skubal (27) has 2.5 years of control remaining, and while an excellent starter, has never thrown more than 149.1 innings in his career.  That was in 2021. Since then, he's thrown 117.2 and 80.1 in '22 & '23 and 86 IP thus far this season. The flexor tendon injury was the cause of the drop in IP in '22 & '23. He looks great this season and will likely exceed his prior high of 149.1 IP if he remains healthy.

I would think Elias would contact Tigers GM to inquire about Skubal  . And see what players we have that Tigers are interested in .