How much longer for Mullins

It's hard to see your favorite player struggle at the plate. One I watched get sent from the majors all the way down to Bowie and make it all the way back and then some. Have enjoyed the highs and now root like hell he can get through this and be an all-around contributer again. Baseball is the rise an fall of idols. Want to see Mullins get that smile back on his face!!!!!

• Upvote 3

Maybe middle/end of June at the latest.

Never start him against lefties.

Bat him 9th. 

But his Statcast numbers are abysmal. Might just need to be a defensive replacement, PR type and have him work on things in the background. Basically a LHH Ryan McKenna at this point.

image.png.cb41b8e3b27b57a99e168d46eb782720.png

• Upvote 2

Mullins will be on the roster the entire season absent an injury to remove him from it. That’s as close to a fact as you can get. They simply are not going to demote a veteran like Mullins, as long as he can contribute something off the bench - and his speed and defense alone accomplish that. 

Ced Mullins as a #8 or 9 hitter is not killing this team anny more than the Pache/Rojas  combo in Philly is killing that team (who has the best record in the NL). Any narrative that it is, is simply false, and is the result of impatience and a lack of understanding of how roster management works, and frankly how baseball works. Guys slump, and sometimes those slumps really drag out. Ced has not forgotten how to hit. 

Not to mention he hit two balls on the nose yesterday that were right at fielders. If those are both hits last night does this thread exist?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Mullins will be on the roster the entire season absent an injury to remove him from it. That’s as close to a fact as you can get. They simply are not going to demote a veteran like Mullins, as long as he can contribute something off the bench - and his speed and defense alone accomplish that. 

Ced Mullins as a #8 or 9 hitter is not killing this team anny more than the Pache/Rojas  combo in Philly is killing that team (who has the best record in the NL). Any narrative that it is, is simply false, and is the result of impatience and a lack of understanding of how roster management works, and frankly how baseball works. Guys slump, and sometimes those slumps really drag out. Ced has not forgotten how to hit. 

Not to mention he hit two balls on the nose yesterday that were right at fielders. If those are both hits last night does this thread exist?

Plus even if he doesn't start hitting, he provides a lot of value as a bench piece. He's the only true CFer on the roster. We're not going to roll into the playoffs with Cowser playing CF and ... Mateo (?) backing him up. Mullins is not going anywhere. 

If Hays is healthy enough to play the field, I think Mullins needs to be optioned to Norfolk.  I don't think he can break out of this funk without getting regular at bats, but his bat is unplayable at the major league level now.  Let him get straightened out in Norfolk, and then call him back up for a reset.  

• Upvote 3

I just don't see Mullins getting optioned. He's the longest tenured Oriole apart from Santander and his defense still is rock solid... I know vet status shouldn't matter technically but it does and we all know it does.

I think he continues to get a very long leash... as long as he is continuing to play excellent defense in CF and our offense continues to be the highest scoring in all of MLB, or at least stays near the very top.

25 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If Hays is healthy enough to play the field, I think Mullins needs to be optioned to Norfolk.  I don't think he can break out of this funk without getting regular at bats, but his bat is unplayable at the major league level now.  Let him get straightened out in Norfolk, and then call him back up for a reset.  

This is where I’m at with Mullins. He needs to get daily at bats to reset his swing, but the Orioles cannot afford to play Mullins every game he’s a black hole on offense. 

I don’t see a decision being made until the end of June, but you can make the case now it’s time to option him to Norfolk. During the last 365 days in 383 at bats Mullins has put up a .191/.240/.334 slash line. 

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is where I’m at with Mullins. He needs to get daily at bats to reset his swing, but the Orioles cannot afford to play Mullins every game he’s a black hole on offense. 

I don’t see a decision being made until the end of June, but you can make the case now it’s time to option him to Norfolk. During the last 365 days in 383 at bats Mullins has put up a .191/.240/.334 slash line. 

What does "cannot afford" mean?   If we are the highest scoring team in the majors, despite how much he has played, doesn't that mean we CAN afford to have him in the lineup vs righties and playing defense in CF?

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

What does "cannot afford" mean?   If we are the highest scoring team in the majors, despite how much he has played, doesn't that mean we CAN afford to have him in the lineup vs righties and playing defense in CF?

Yeah Mullins biggest saving grace right now is all the other hitters in the lineup.  As long as we are scoring a lot of runs on offense then we can carry a hole in the lineup.  If the offense starts to struggle the first person to be removed will most likely be Mullins unless he starts hitting.  

2 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

If we kept Mateo through all the OH angst, we are certainly throwing Mullins out there.

Mateo would've needed to be DFA'd whereas Cedric can be optioned. IF he could get himself right, our lineup is so much better. 

5 minutes ago, Dunk35 said:

Mateo would've needed to be DFA'd whereas Cedric can be optioned. IF he could get himself right, our lineup is so much better. 

But the idea of going down to AAA and “getting right” is so last decade. Stud prospects are coming up and flailing because it seems the gap in skills has grown. Folks ain’t translating the love of the  robo ump and mediocre pitching to the Show. Plus Mullins wasn’t claimed off waivers. He is an old school Oriole. You send Mullins down because you think he is done—and you ask his thoughts on the matter beforehand—not because he is going through a soft patch.