How much longer for Mullins

15 minutes ago, Bird Lady said:

Is Daniel Johnson passable in CF?

Passable?   Pretty sure he is.  He looked good there in ST.   He’s having a really nice season.    I know, you start to wonder.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bird Lady said:

Is Daniel Johnson passable in CF?

Another interesting thing about Johnson is that he has one minor league option left.  If they called him up and added him to the roster they’d be able to shuttle him.   On the other hand, if they really like him, they could add him to the 40 man after the season and maintain that option for next year.  Granted he turns 29 next month so he’s more journeyman than prospect but he looks good to me.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I believe Mullins should be sent down but I think we can look no further than Mateo last season.

Starting on May 1, Mateo got 267 PA. He had a 472 OPS and a wRC+ of 30.  They kept Mateo on the roster because of his speed and defense.

Now, Mullins doesn’t have the same speed but he does have good speed and the defense is still very good in a premium position that we only have 1 other real option for.

I believe is one difference between Mateo and Mullins. I actually like Mateo swing but his swing decisions were poor. Mullins is getting blow away by strikes. Also, Mateo had a groin injury and I personally believe he played through it do to pressure from Ortiz and Westburg.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Another interesting thing about Johnson is that he has one minor league option left.  If they called him up and added him to the roster they’d be able to shuttle him.   On the other hand, if they really like him, they could add him to the 40 man after the season and maintain that option for next year.  Granted he turns 29 next month so he’s more journeyman than prospect but he looks good to me.

I looked at his career last night. Could be plausible for a few weeks or months. He seems like the Elias type with tools that needed refinement.

This may be silly to consider, but people, including ballplayers, need glasses as their sight degrades.  I imagine that the club monitors this with the money invested, but I have no idea.  What if it's that simple?  Could it be that Cedric needs glasses?  Can anyone inform me/us for certain whether the team performs an annual eye check, or is it left to each player to handle themselves?  I've always wondered about this.

Again, just throwing it out there.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

This may be silly to consider, but people, including ballplayers, need glasses as their sight degrades.  I imagine that the club monitors this with the money invested, but I have no idea.  What if it's that simple?  Could it be that Cedric needs glasses?  Can anyone inform me/us for certain whether the team performs an annual eye check, or is it left to each player to handle themselves?  I've always wondered about this.

These guys get an eye exam every spring, I believe.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Invite a few of them to one of our Game threads.  That would be interesting.

I'm a self admitted "emotional whiner". I can understand people who get annoyed with it. Hell, I get annoyed with me too sometimes. But I love the Orioles and this specific team, and it is my right to whine, and be exasperated and furious and happy and giddy, and whatever else in watching this team. I LOVE Cedric Mullins, and want him to deliver something great at the plate, but he just cant hit the baseball  well now and hasn't for some time. I  think its time for him to be a defensive replacement , try and find his swing in the minors, or be traded at the break.Maybe NONE of these things will happen...but I will "emotionally whine" when he continues to struggle. I am not a cheerleader for this team. I love it when they play well and I write it when they do. But I have the right to be pissed when they fail too.I think it may be in the "Bill of Orioles fan Rights".

5 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I'm a self admitted "emotional whiner". I can understand people who get annoyed with it. Hell, I get annoyed with me too sometimes. But I love the Orioles and this specific team, and it is my right to whine, and be exasperated and furious and happy and giddy, and whatever else in watching this team. I LOVE Cedric Mullins, and want him to deliver something great at the plate, but he just cant hit the baseball  well now and hasn't for some time. I  think its time for him to be a defensive replacement , try and find his swing in the minors, or be traded at the break.Maybe NONE of these things will happen...but I will "emotionally whine" when he continues to struggle. I am not a cheerleader for this team. I love it when they play well and I write it when they do. But I have the right to be pissed when they fail too.I think it may be in the "Bill of Orioles fan Rights".

There’s a bunch of things between “cheerleader” and “emotional whiner”.    A lot of us like to think we fall somewhere in the middle.

56 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

image.jpeg.b789cff443bc9375cf16a0a4cccbf678.jpeg

It worked for him!

• Haha 2

Mullins' swing looked broken yesterday. I feel like he looked great a couple games ago where he hit into some bad luck, but yesterday his swing looked unrecognizable to me. More open maybe? But then late as hell on everything and the swing itself looked awkward. I'm not sure if I'm right about this or I was just hyper focusing on his ABs. 

Anyway, he's fine as a defensive bench guy but if they want to try and get him on track, regular ABs in Norfolk is probably the way to go right now. 

I honestly think with Mullins it's become mental at this point. It's clear that this hitless streak of his is playing on his mind. He looks overmatched at the plate--- almost like Holliday did when he came up. We've tried playing him "to iron things out" but it's not working. I say send him down to AAA to both get work and get his head together. He looks like a Zombie at the plate right now. 

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Something to consider as well is that baseball players often have much better than normal population-average (20/20) vision.

The American Academy of Ophthalmology says this: Professional baseball players have some of the best visual acuity in the sporting world. A study in 2019 found that over 81% of the players in the Los Angeles Dodgers’ and New York Mets’ systems had a visual acuity of 20/15 or better. The average visual acuity for a professional baseball player is 20/13, or approximately 30% better than what is considered normal vision at distance. 

So if a player's vision has declined, it might not be possible to correct it back to the insane level it was at prior to the decline.  And I imagine that if your vision was in the 20/13 to 20/15 range when you were learning to hit baseballs, and it got worsened to 20/20, it would be a MASSIVE disadvantage.  You're going to be much later at seeing a baseball clearly enough to ID pitches. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1