Thursday 6/13 vs. Atlanta

86this

The Braves' lineup is hard to figure out.  It kinda reminds me of the Mariners, except no Cal Raliegh to hit walkoff grand slams from time to time. 

So many hits, so many strikeouts.  It's weird. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Perhaps, I don't really know. Since my press credentials were not renewed after COVID, I don't really know the new announcers besides Brett Hollander, due his WBAL days. I knew Arnold a little bit from his Frederick time.  Either way, I don't get the impression that Melanie talks out of turn or doesn't know what she can or can't say. Perhaps she was talking to Hyde and he said something offhand like, "Maybe even Bautistsa will be ready by the playoffs." Who knows?  I've been in a lot of situations talking with players and coaches and I knew what I could or could not say and when it was appropriate to report something, even if it was from an "unnamed source." I'm fairly certain Melanie would not still have a job with the Orioles if she did not know this by now too. 
    • It's a little surprising she would go "off-script", so to speak, on MASN when Elias has denied any chance of Bautista pitching this year. But perhaps MASN folks have a little more freedom under Rubenstein. 
    • Well, they got some good starts from Bradish so we'll see if that helps them win the AL East. If they win it by a game or two you can say he had an impact on this season. Bradish could still be back by the end of 2025 if everything goes smoothly.
    • Not to turn this into a Melanie Newman thread again, but she's actually not too bad when she's doing the color part of the broadcast. She'll drop some meaningful statistical information occasionally and the other day she said something (can't remember exactly what it was) and I was like, "Hmm, not bad Melanie" in my head. The issue is she just too slow in describing the action and does not paint a good enough picture of where the balls are hit or the likely outcome.  An example would be something like this.  "He hits a skyball into the deep blue sky....(second of pause) the outfielder is going out for it but he won't get it. And Henderson is on second for a double. We don't know where, how far, or what the action was other than the ball was a skyball and the outfielder misses it. She'll then go back and explain in more detail what happened. I better call would be "Henderson lines a ball into deep right center, the center fielder is going over quickly but it's going to fall in, Henderson is rounding first, heading for second as the CF throws the ball in to the cut off as Henderson walks into second with a standup double." Now we have a much better picture of what happened in our minds.  Arnold gets too wordy at times too and sometimes gets behind but he's still better overall and has the best radio voice. Brett Hollander is the best at PBP in my opinion despite my "dislike" for him calling the Orioles "Baltimore" like an away/national announcer.      
    • I feel as though they bungled Bautista and Bradish’s injuries by delaying the inevitable. Because of those delays, it could be no Bautista until 2025 and no Bradish until 2026. 
    • I think it’s fair to ask if he’s getting much to hit. With all the walks, it certainly seems like teams are staying away from him, even more so than Mayo. Would be nice to get some real reports about what is going on down there.
    • I take it more as this is the talk behind the scenes and she just didn’t read the room well enough to know she wasn’t supposed to say anything.
  • Popular Contributors