O's @ Yankees Series, June 18-20 (Tues-Thurs)

23 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

It's hard to wrap my head around the sheer stupidity of the players and fans going crazy over unintentional HBP's.  When they hit the most players in baseball and have hit many more of our own players, etc.  And the media tries to stir it up and the Orioles just play baseball and block all that out.  It was perfect that we didn't retaliate, didn't instigate... didn't play those games and just knocked their teeth in the baseball way. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

It's hard to wrap my head around the sheer stupidity of the players and fans going crazy over unintentional HBP's.  When they hit the most players in baseball and have hit many more of our own players, etc.  And the media tries to stir it up and the Orioles just play baseball and block all that out.  It was perfect that we didn't retaliate, didn't instigate... didn't play those games and just knocked their teeth in the baseball way. 

Yup.   Let's hope they use it for inspiration.   First off, Suarez had very little command on Tuesday AND Judge was moving into the pitch.  The second one on Torres was Akin...who definitely has command issues on occasion.    Yankees fans and media don't ever look in the mirror.  They've hit FAR more batters than the O's.

None of this should surprise. They sre The MFY and they are entitled. They do no wrong and my heavens you don't dare piss on or in their shrine. You should come in their house and curtsey. To hit The Judge - their idol - or pitch anywhere close is the height of irreverence. It's why total dislike isn't strong enough to convey my life long feeling about the Yankees and their fans. The Orioles not only beat them, they showed all who watched just who is the class of the American league in more ways than one. 

So far so good on a decade long question being posed to one of its great players this season....is the AL East a place Juan Soto should choose to be if he wants a lion's share of October success?

Or should he do the LeBron thing with the Nationals, or the ultimate easy path with the Dodgers, at which point the rest of his regular season career loses much of its meaning.     The Mets I figure will compete financially with anyone - Soto and Burnes remind me some of the winter the Red Sox got Manny and the Yankees got Mussina.

NYY does hang on to its wRC+ lead after yesterday, but the yearlong gap went from 4 to 1.

We'll see in the next 1-2 months if the Orioles choose to replace one of their relatively weaker bats with Coby Mayo on either the Manny Machado or Gunnar Henderson timeline.

He'll be at least a little green in a fall lineup, if he makes it at all.

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

As I've said before on this board, Joel Sherman is by far the best baseball writer in NY. (I probably should say "was," since there are probably newish writers I'm not aware of who are very good.) I once had a discussion with him about why writers ask managers and players such insipid questions ("How big was today's win?" "What did you feel as you ran home with the winning run?") and got a thoughtful answer that completely accepted the premise about baseball writers' interviewers.

It's hard to tell who asks questions at the postgame sessions with Boone, but yesterday Sherman was called on by name. He asked Boone whether Gil, whose highest workload was 96 pitches in 2019 may be fatigued after 81 innings (which would be 85-ish if he weren't hit so hard yesterday). I think he also asked whether Gil's innings should be limited. As Sherman says in the column, Boone said something about monitoring Gil's innings. But he didn't seem to take the fatigue issue seriously.

I think that to stay at or near their current pace, the NYYs need Judge and Soto remaining in the 1.000 OPS range and strong starting pitching that right now relies a lot on Gil starting regularly -- or a big infusion of talent via trades. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2024 at 8:27 AM, Rbiggs2525 said:

I’m not advocating hitting people but…hitting Soto today after the 5th inning today would be interesting. I’d like to see him make the same decision Gunnar had to last night. Retaliate and you are out a week or 2.

So, to be clear, you're not advocating intentionally hitting Soto, you're just saying if we did it would be "interesting?"   🤣

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I think that to stay at or near their current pace, the NYYs need Judge and Soto remaining in the 1.000 OPS range and strong starting pitching that right now relies a lot on Gil starting regularly -- or a big infusion of talent via trades. 

Cole returning should give them the opportunity to rest Gil more if they want.