Hmm… so about that qualifying offer to Santander?

Last month it seemed like we wouldn’t have offered him arbitration if that were a possibility. Now he’s gone absolutely ballistic and is on pace for 40+ HR, could be an all star, and he looks in that good FA walk year shape. The Switch Hitter aspect is huge. 

I’d say that if the season ended today that the QO is pretty close to a slam dunk. Maybe not a Lebron taking 5 steps dunk on a fast break, but a good Pat Connaughon dunk. 

What say you?

• Haha 1

I've been saying QO for two years now. Santander's hot month just confirms it. 

Possible outcomes are all good:

Santander says yes and he comes back on a Joc Pederson one year deal.

Santander says no but we have leverage to sign him to a team friendly extension.

Santander says no and walks, and we get draft pick comp.

I think he says no and goes for a Castellanos type 5/100 contract. He might settle for 4/80 but that is plenty for him to turn down the QO. 

Is he in the running for Player of the month? .300/1.090 in June and some big HR's against major market teams.  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Is he in the running for Player of the month? .300/1.090 in June and some big HR's against major market teams.  

I think he’d lose out on player of the month to the other guy in this photo if June ended today.

IMG_3650.thumb.jpeg.39e72048c85161f4f33d5df14f8c7629.jpeg

Edited by e16bball

31 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Last month it seemed like we wouldn’t have offered him arbitration if that were a possibility. Now he’s gone absolutely ballistic and is on pace for 40+ HR, could be an all star, and he looks in that good FA walk year shape. The Switch Hitter aspect is huge. 

I’d say that if the season ended today that the QO is pretty close to a slam dunk. Maybe not a Lebron taking 5 steps dunk on a fast break, but a good Pat Connaughon dunk. 

What say you?

Why does he have to be limited to a QO. He should be signed to a contract after the season. We are literally paying NO ONE. The 3/4 year deal that he will get probably will not exceed 50 million. 

He is showing no signs of decline and appears to be improving as a hitter (late bloomer). His retention also allows us to trade a prospect with a similar projectable skillset which IMO could bring back a difference making type player.

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think he gets a multi year extension for less AAV.

I agree with this. I wouldn't have been on board with it to begin the season, but with all of the uncertainty of next year's roster he very well may get an extension. 

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Why does he have to be limited to a QO. He should be signed to a contract after the season. We are literally paying NO ONE. The 3/4 year deal that he will get probably will not exceed 50 million. 

He is showing no signs of decline and appears to be improving as a hitter (late bloomer). His retention also allows us to trade a prospect with a similar projectable skillset which IMO could bring back a difference making type player.

Offering the QO doesn't mean he is limited. He can still be offered and say yes to a long term deal. The QO ensure if he says no you end up with a draft pick in the worst case scenario. 

• Upvote 1

I was really hoping he’d show out this year.  I’m glad to see him mashing.  Good for the team now and good for the team in ten future.  No such thing as a bad one year contract, give the man a QO and get pick or get one more year of Tony. Seems like a no brainer at this point.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

IMO keeping the team young is the way to keep it winning.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think he gets a multi year extension for less AAV.

This. And I think it will be a smart move to do so for both parties. Great teammate, switch hitter who actually hits from both sides, adequate defense at least, his hit streaks are quite long. Plus I think some of the logjam behind him gets traded - Kjerstad, Norby et al - making it seem less urgent to clear an OF spot. And he won’t cost a fortune. No brainer for me. 

And if an extension doesn’t happen then the QO is also an easy decision. $20m ish for his production given how low our payroll is would be no issue. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What say you?

I say, let’s see where he is by the end of the season.  I’m a Santander fan but we’re being asked this question while he’s at his best.  Some of the same people who want to extend will be saying to dump his worthless ass if he slumps in September and the playoffs.   

Right now, I definitely offer the QO.   I’m hedging on the 3 year type contract.

Can’t wait to see @DirtyBird ‘s opinion on this.   Will he even offer an opinion in this thread?

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I think they offer QO then a contract at 2-3 years 16 million AAV.

Unless they trade a couple guys, no way they are spending money on him. That money will go for pitching.

• Upvote 1