Maton DFA'd again, Kjerstad recalled

Tony-OH

Initially I was disturbed that Kjerstad isn't in the starting lineup today, but we're opting to give Adley a break behind the dish.  It's hard to argue that logic with the heat.  

I hope we get Kjerstad with a bit of a chip on his shoulder after his demotion and recent ejection after getting plunked 4 times yesterday.  

Edit - Kjerstad is in the lineup today.  Maybe sprinkle some on that HR prop.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Initially I was disturbed that Kjerstad isn't in the starting lineup today, but we're opting to give Adley a break behind the dish.  It's hard to argue that logic with the heat.  

I hope we get Kjerstad with a bit of a chip on his shoulder after his demotion and recent ejection after getting plunked 4 times yesterday.  

Kjerstad is in the starting lineup today.

https://www.rotowire.com/baseball/daily-lineups.php

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Guess we'll see if he makes through the second time. 

Maton DFA'd again, Kjerstad recalled and will start tonight in LF. Wonder what this means for Cowser?

I double-checked, cuz I knew Cowser had been scuffling a bit of late...........but i was surprised at what I saw.  He has really sucked since the calendar change from April into May.

He has had an OPS in the upper .500s since May 1.   I think it may just be as simple as they want to see if Kjerstad can do better.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hopefully this means Kjerstad will get regular playing time weekly and batting him fifth tonight is a good sign. Otherwise there's no point in bringing Kjerstad up if he's going to mostly sit on the bench like earlier this season.

Batting 5th is a statement.  Hope the big fella is fired up.  The ball will be carrying today.  

Cowser has also been iffy in the field. Throwing Kjerstad right into LF tells me they think his defensive liabilities aren't that much less than Cowser right now and he can maybe spark this inconsistent lineup vs CLE. Still think they should have brought Mayo up instead. They need another RH power bat.

18 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Cowser has also been iffy in the field. Throwing Kjerstad right into LF tells me they think his defensive liabilities aren't that much less than Cowser right now and he can maybe spark this inconsistent lineup vs CLE. Still think they should have brought Mayo up instead. They need another RH power bat.

Cowser's defense really improved to being a very good outfielder this season, with the only real issue being his poor throwing accuracy.  From all I've read, Cowser is a far better fielder than Kjerstad, but I hope to see Kjerstad at least look decent out there.  @Tony-OH or some others may be able to offer more insight, though.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I double-checked, cuz I knew Cowser had been scuffling a bit of late...........but i was surprised at what I saw.  He has really sucked since the calendar change from April into May.

He has had an OPS in the upper .500s since May 1.   I think it may just be as simple as they want to see if Kjerstad can do better.

I agree. While Cowser has run into some bad luck, at the end of the day, he has not performed well and it goes further than just since May 1st.

If you take out his extreme hot streak thru his first 18 games, he's slashed .179/.287/.316/.603 with 20 BB and 59 Ks over 195 PAs.

I think the fact that he can back up in center is the only reason he has not been sent back to AAA. He should feel happy they organization really doesn't have a back up right-handed center fielder available though I still think Mateo is ok out there as long as its just once in awhile. I guess Hays could play there in a pinch too, but I don't think he's a guy you want out there at this stage in his career.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Cowser's defense really improved to being a very good outfielder this season, with the only real issue being his poor throwing accuracy.  From all I've read, Cowser is a far better fielder than Kjerstad, but I hope to see Kjerstad at least look decent out there.  @Tony-OH or some others may be able to offer more insight, though.

Cowser is a better defender than Kjerstad range wise and has a much stronger arm, but Cowser's throwing accuracy has become an issue. Kjerstad is a little awkward out there and his arm is very inconsistent and doesn't have a ton of strength, but he's moving well enough to cover ground and catches everything he gest to. 

At this point though, Cowser's bat is putting him on the bench.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Cowser is a better defender than Kjerstad range wise and has a much stronger arm, but Cowser's throwing accuracy has become an issue. Kjerstad is a little awkward out there and his arm is very inconsistent and doesn't have a ton of strength, but he's moving well enough to cover ground and catches everything he gest to. 

At this point though, Cowser's bat is putting him on the bench.

I would agree with your earlier post.   Cowser just doesn't seem to have the ability to get to the offspeed stuff consistently enough.   I think he will be alright, but the strikeouts are very concerning.

Interesting thing to me isn't that Kjerstad is starting tonight. It's that they trust Kjerstad in LF at OPACY. That's some rather dubious defense at LF and RF between Kjerstad and Santander. But that's the plus side of Mullins, though. 

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree. While Cowser has run into some bad luck, at the end of the day, he has not performed well and it goes further than just since May 1st.

If you take out his extreme hot streak thru his first 18 games, he's slashed .179/.287/.316/.603 with 20 BB and 59 Ks over 195 PAs.

I think the fact that he can back up in center is the only reason he has not been sent back to AAA. He should feel happy they organization really doesn't have a back up right-handed center fielder available though I still think Mateo is ok out there as long as its just once in awhile. I guess Hays could play there in a pinch too, but I don't think he's a guy you want out there at this stage in his career.

"He's fine."

-SG