Bring up Mayo already!!

Bahama O's Fan

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

19th tonight (16 at Norfolk) and AAA OPS over 1.000.   He’s earned it.   Time to reward the kid and improve the team’s upside.  Two birds.  One stone.

The team needs to find room for Mayo on the roster. Walltimore is not going to stop this kid.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

You call him up then Kjerstad or Cowser have to go down. He fits like a glove as a RH DH. All about roster space. It’s that simple.  

4 man bench

McCann

Urias 

Hays

Kjerstad 

Hays isn’t going anywhere. Makes sense to have a RH bat with all the LH anyway.  

Agree.  And you need Cowser as your alternate CF so Kjerstad has to go.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You call him up then Kjerstad or Cowser have to go down. He fits like a glove as a RH DH. All about roster space. It’s that simple.  

4 man bench

McCann

Urias 

Hays

Kjerstad 

Hays isn’t going anywhere. Makes sense to have a RH bat with all the LH anyway.  

DH against LHP is fine but that shouldn’t be his only role.  He should be the primary 3B.  Against LHP, Mateo to 2B and Westburg to 3B.  Urias won’t have much of a role if that happens.  

9 minutes ago, connja said:

Agree.  And you need Cowser as your alternate CF so Kjerstad has to go.

A bold move that won’t happen but I’d be thinking about moving O’Hearn to a team like Cincy or Pitt for pitching help and open up the DH spot for Kjerstad.  O’Hearn has some of the best at bats on the team but, in the end, he’s good not great.  I think we could get some bullpen help from teams that are hurting for offense from 1B.

Edited by RZNJ

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

DH against LHP is fine but that shouldn’t be his only role.  He should be the primary 3B.  Against LHP, Mateo to 2B and Westburg to 3B.  Urias won’t have much of a role if that happens.  

Right, Mayo has not shown that he would have to be a platoon hitter. He hits everyone.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

A bold move that won’t happen but I’d be thinking about moving O’Hearn to a team like Cincy or Pitt for pitching help and open up the DH spot for Kjerstad.  O’Hearn has some of the best bats on the team but, in the end, he’s good not great.  

O'Hearn has been good the past two seasons so I don't know if the team is just going to trade him away to make room for Mayo despite his MILB resume. I'm hoping the team is comfortable enough with his defense that they trade Urias for whatever they can get instead.

• Upvote 1

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

O'Hearn has been good the past two seasons so I don't know if the team is just going to trade him away to make room for Mayo despite his MILB resume. I'm hoping the team is comfortable enough with his defense that they trade Urias for whatever they can get instead.

O’Hearn traded would be to make room for Kjerstad at DH.   Urias would go for Mayo.  Those are somewhat risky moves but I think it works.

• Upvote 1

Everything about this kid makes him so easy to root for.

I can’t wait until he is here and I have zero doubt he’s one of the best 9, much less 13, position players in the org right now.

Im actually looking more forward to him being up here than Holliday. That has zero  to do with Holliday, just that I’m that big of a fan of Mayo.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

O’Hearn traded would be to make room for Kjerstad at DH.   Urias would go for Mayo.  Those are somewhat risky moves but I think it works.

I'm with you  and I'm ready to make room so players like Mayo and Kjerstad can get a fair number of at bats. O'Hearn is a risk come playoff time if he comes late to bat against a southpaw with no good RHB option on the bench.

I just don't see Elias making a more risky move, but won't complain if he does it.

Also, check out Fangraph's Top 45 O's Prospects review of Mayo:

3. Coby Mayo, RF

Drafted: 4th Round, 2020 from Stoneman Douglas HS (FL) (BAL)
Age 22.6 Height 6′ 5″ Weight 230 Bat / Thr R / R FV 55
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
35/45 70/70 55/70 50/35 30/40 70

As of list publication, Mayo has posted the most impressive 2024 batted ball data of any Norfolk prospect, most significantly his .537 xSLG and .377 xwOBA. He’s a 22-year-old on a 30-homer pace at Triple-A and is poised to either threaten the playing time of Baltimore’s incumbent corner infielders or be the centerpiece of a monster trade within the next year. Mayo’s swing is weird and he’s a flawed defender who still hasn’t begun playing the position we think he might best be suited for, but he now has a five-year track record of mashing and is one of the higher-probability corner position prospects in the minors.

Mayo executes a pull-and-lift approach geared for crushing mistakes in the upper two thirds of the strike zone, and he has succeeded with this approach all the way up the minor league ladder despite his sometimes ugly looking cut, which has a strange, choppy stride. If most hitters’ strides back toward the pitcher are “outies,” Mayo’s is an “inny” — his front foot often lands closer to his rear foot than where it began in his batting stance. All of his swing’s components fire in a short period of time, and it’s an odd look, but it works for him. He does, however, swing inside a lot of sliders, even ones that don’t completely turn the corner. Mayo’s strikeouts will likely climb against big league pitchers who can exploit this, at least initially, but he’s going to get to such big power that it probably won’t matter.

There is still a lot of work to be done on defense here, as Mayo’s size makes it hard for him to move around at third base. Unless he improves at first base (where his playing time was increasing prior to a mid-May fractured rib) or in right field (where Mayo has been speculatively projected here at FanGraphs for a while because of his impressive max-effort arm strength) pretty quickly, he’s more likely going to debut because of injury or trade than Baltimore’s needs. He projects to be one of the 10 to 15 most productive first baseman or corner outfielders in the game.

Edited by Greg Pappas