Bring up Mayo already!!

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Is this a parody?

So not really … I assume KC is still in it. They have Melendez OF hitting .193, Loftin 3B hitting .198, Renfroe OF .207, Isbel .234, Garcia 2B .227. 5 players in their lineup yesterday that are pretty poor. 

We could offer upgrades with Mateo, Urias, Hays, and Mountcastle. Any two of those …. A starter to take over Ragans spot and a couple prospects for later. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the two prospects I mentioned. 

Id argue it upgrades their offense quite considerably. You lose Ragans but Irvin, Suarez, or Kremer would give them a capable replacement. Obviously won’t pitch like Ragans buy we know Kremer is capable of a low to mid 3 if he’s healthy again. 

perhaps they’d rather deal Lugo….do they want a stable of prospects or are they trying to win now? I’d say a mix of both makes sense.

Edited by Roll Tide

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So not really … I assume KC is still in it. They have Melendez OF hitting .193, Loftin 3B hitting .198, Renfroe OF .207, Isbel .234, Garcia 2B .227. 5 players in their lineup yesterday that are pretty poor. 

We could offer upgrades with Mateo, Urias, Hays, and Mountcastle. Any two of those …. A starter to take over Ragans spot and a couple prospects for later. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the two prospects I mentioned. 

Id argue it upgrades their offense quite considerably. You lose Ragans but Irvin, Suarez, or Kremer would give them a capable replacement. Obviously won’t pitch like Ragans buy we know Kremer is capable of a low to mid 3 if he’s healthy again. 

perhaps they’d rather deal Lugo….do they want a stable of prospects or are they trying to win now? I’d say a mix of both makes sense.

Maybe we could give them Hays, Horvath, Wagner and Stowers for Witt too. Or is that giving up too much?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Damn , I didn’t realize how weak some of KC position bats are 

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I don't see KC trading one of their ML starters. They have the top rotation in the majors by WAR but the 5th worst bullpen in the majors. They don't have any impact arms ready in the minors to even attempt to take a starting role. Their starting pitching is what has them in contention and I'd be shocked if they subtracted there.

The problem is they need to upgrade their relief pitching and lots of position in their lineup if they really want to try and compete for a playoff spot.

So maybe the O's could send KC average+ offensive players (Mountcastle?) in exchange for prospects and then flip those prospects along with our own in another deal for pitching? 

The real question is, what interesting prospects does KC have that they'd be willing to send to the O's for Urias, Mounty or Mateo? Seems like their farm system is pretty weak...

1 hour ago, bluedog said:

I don't see KC trading one of their ML starters. They have the top rotation in the majors by WAR but the 5th worst bullpen in the majors. They don't have any impact arms ready in the minors to even attempt to take a starting role. Their starting pitching is what has them in contention and I'd be shocked if they subtracted there.

The problem is they need to upgrade their relief pitching and lots of position in their lineup if they really want to try and compete for a playoff spot.

So maybe the O's could send KC average+ offensive players (Mountcastle?) in exchange for prospects and then flip those prospects along with our own in another deal for pitching? 

The real question is, what interesting prospects does KC have that they'd be willing to send to the O's for Urias, Mounty or Mateo? Seems like their farm system is pretty weak...

Interesting quandary for KC, if they don't want to trade starters, and don't have decent prospects to trade. Then how are they going to acquire hitters and relievers? We're basically opposite, except every team always needs relievers.

Edited by now

1 hour ago, now said:

Interesting quandary for KC, if they don't want to trade starters, and don't have decent prospects to trade. Then how are they going to acquire hitters and relievers? We're basically opposite, except every team always needs relievers.

I mean they have some mid-tier prospects that are similar in quality to maybe Beavers or McDermott. So its not like they have nothing - but they certainly don't have the goods to get a top tier hitter - which is why they might be interested in someone like Mountcastle.

Edited by bluedog

37 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I mean they have some mid-tier prospects that are similar in quality to maybe Beavers or McDermott. So its not like they have nothing - but they certainly don't have the goods to get a top tier hitter - which is why they might be interested in someone like Mountcastle.

... if we're interested in collecting more of Beavers/McDermott FV. One of each? Um, have to think about it. Once we get a taste of Mayo it would be easier to part with Mountcastle. As has been noted, sometimes he can carry the team.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

If we were to DFA (or put him on waivers) Urias and bring up Mayo, do you think the chances are strong that we get a trade partner before Urias is free completely?

That’s the idea, hopefully we recoup something for Urias . But hold on to him until Mayo is ready ( I’m assuming he is)

10 hours ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

I thought I saw posts on the board pointing to Westburg being limited defensively at 2nd whereas he was above average at 3rd.  If that’s the case I could see the O’s being worried they would not have great defense at 3rd or 2nd

i think the stretch run Mayo will be playing DH vs lefties, Kjerstad vs righties, Kjerstad play the field on the road sometimes, this is at the very least.