Heston Kjerstad 2024

OsFanSinceThe80s

Heston looks a bit different this time being recalled.  Maybe it's Hyde batting him in the middle of the order compared to batting him in the bottom of the order in his previous call-ups.  He just looks less timid.  Perhaps showing a bit of swagger.  Then again, perhaps I'm looking thru rose-colored glasses.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Very good chance a prospect or player on the team that is popular with the fans gets traded for a pitcher. Kjerstad is a player I really don't want to give up he has the potential to be a special hitter.

Is there any history to point to in a similar trade? Obviously most contenders are trading prospects for ML talent but I think highly unlikely we trade any of our 1-3 prospects and with Kjerstad looking ready to stay I’d be shocked if he were traded.

that leaves Bradfield, Beavers, Norby, Stowers, McDermott etc. I’d imagine that puts us in the rental market but probably not a top starter with multiple years of control

1 minute ago, casadeozo said:

Is there any history to point to in a similar trade? Obviously most contenders are trading prospects for ML talent but I think highly unlikely we trade any of our 1-3 prospects and with Kjerstad looking ready to stay I’d be shocked if he were traded.

that leaves Bradfield, Beavers, Norby, Stowers, McDermott etc. I’d imagine that puts us in the rental market but probably not a top starter with multiple years of control

It depends on who Elias trades for but you have to give up quality to get quality. The prospects you named above aren't getting you an elite bullpen arm if that's what Elias is focusing on at the trade deadline.

5 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Love his bat in this lineup!

this going to shape up to be a very consequential trade deadline for the orioles one way or the other.

we have a bounty of hitting and an dearth of pitching. Honestly not sure how best to deal with it.

Simple way to deal with it, keep the bats. -- can shore up the bullpen without dealing any of Kjerstad, Basallo, Mayo, Holliday etc. -- Kjerstad is a clear replacement to Santander whose contracts up and unknown if Elias has interest in extending. -- The top end starter people want wont be available without a massive overpay.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It depends on who Elias trades for but you have to give up quality to get quality. The prospects you named above aren't getting you an elite bullpen arm if that's what Elias is focusing on at the trade deadline.

I think they would certainly get a good to very good bullpen arm especially some9ne like Bradfield. However probably not the starter we need

10 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

I think you are 100% correct.  You are not going to get a controllable starter unless Kjersted, Mayo are part of a deal.  They are not going to entertain trading Holliday or Basello.  You are looking at picking back up a player like Kyle Gibson back for starting depth.  I think their first emphasis will be two good bullpen arms.  I believe when Kremer is back that Burnes. Grod, Kremer, Povich, Surarez, and Irvin will be a good enough starting staff for the second half of the season.

19 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Please do not trade Santander’s replacement.  

Agreed. This outfield logjam will clear itself after the season. It will be tricky if the Orioles trade for an elite bullpen arm because they will be forced to part with a better level prospect Norby isn't going to cut it.

Maybe the team goes for more Coulombe like relievers instead. But Mason Miller is tempting though it all depends on what the A's want in return.