Heston Kjerstad 2024

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Detroit is kind of caught in purgatory now.  Working on their 8th straight losing season after a poorly executed rebuild attempt.  I’m not sure they will or should trade Skubal, but I sure can’t say they shouldn’t.  Is it realistic to think they could contend in 2025 and 2026?  Their farm system is average.   Torkelson’s a flop.  They’ve basically got one above average player in their entire lineup.  Not a great situation.  Very similar to when Andy McPhail took over in 2007.  Is Skubal their Bedard?

I was being flippant.  Sorry.  

DET won the off-season a few years ago signing a few FAs.  They are closer now than they were then even saddled with their version of Chris Davis (Baez).  They will spend again as well.  The barrier for entry in the ALC is being mediocre with the last wildcard spot a consolation. 

Skubal was one I had suggested as a target last year and this off-season.  He's an SP1.

3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't know if he is or isn't (I have zero knowledge about his trade status). But I'm curious to why you believe that it is "ridiculous".

DET is not going anywhere and have not been in the playoffs with Skubal. They are 21st in runs scored, have one good offensive player (Riley Greene) and one young promising offensive player (Colt Keith) who has yet to put it together in his first season. They have no top position prospects who are close to MLB ready (matching Skubal's roster timeline). They best prospect, Max Clark, while very promising, is 19 at single A.

They have the 23rd ranked payroll for 2024 at about 107 million (which ironically is a little higher than ours this year), so maybe they could buy a bat or 2 in FA? But how willing are they going to be to do that given what happened/is happening with Javier Baez?

Having stated these things, and given the frequency of injuries of pitchers (and their value depreciation) I think it would be very prudent of them to consider moving Tarik Skubal now. They are not going anywhere with him (this season and probably for the duration of his years of control left).

I was being flippant.  Sorry.

I do think they'll spend enough to compete in the mediocre ALC.  A lot depends on Carpenter's back/neck.  Baez may get the Davis treatment next year.

• 3 weeks later...

Question about HK. I remember when Cowser came up at first, his defense looked pretty terrible. He just looked goofy and uncomfortable. Do we have hope that HK could settle in a bit? 

I imagine Cowser was always rated decently as a defender in MILB and it didn’t travel to the show right away, but what about Kjerstad? What is the scouts take on his defensive potential from his time in the minors, etc?

I hope that he could at least hold down RF if Tony is a goner. 

I’ll be honest, I’d almost rather keep Stowers if it feels like Kjerstad will never be average as a defender, especially with Mayo in the pipeline. For the balance of the team, Stowers could possibly be a more well rounded role player. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

Just now, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Question about HK. I remember when Cowser came up at first, his defense looked pretty terrible. He just looked goofy and uncomfortable. Do we have hope that HK could settle in a bit? 

I imagine Cowser was always rated decently as a defender in MILB and it didn’t travel to the show right away, but what about Kjerstad? What is the scouts take on his defensive potential from his time in the minors, etc. 

Anyone can settle in a bit.  But Cowser has always been a better defender than Kjerstad.  

Just now, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I imagine Cowser was always rated decently as a defender in MILB and it didn’t travel to the show right away, but what about Kjerstad? What is the scouts take on his defensive potential from his time in the minors, etc. 

I was thinking about this last night. Cowser mainly looked timid in the outfield at first. He didn’t take any aggressive routes on the ball and just seemed overly conscious about not making a mistake. Kjerstad just doesn’t look like he has the athleticism to play out there. At best, I think he could give you Soto’s level of defense in RF, which isn’t great. 

That dropped fly ball last night was one of the funniest and most unathletic bloopers I have ever seen watching sports. Drops a ball and then slams his face and body into the wall lol.

Also, when is he going to start hitting home runs?

17 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

That dropped fly ball last night was one of the funniest and most unathletic bloopers I have ever seen watching sports. Drops a ball and then slams his face and body into the wall lol.

Also, when is he going to start hitting home runs?

He's got a 153 OPS+.  Kinda silly to complain about the offense.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's got a 153 OPS+.  Kinda silly to complain about the offense.

True but When the team is playing this bad I’ll complain about anything. Especially anything Kimbrel related.

40 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I imagine Cowser was always rated decently as a defender in MILB and it didn’t travel to the show right away, but what about Kjerstad? What is the scouts take on his defensive potential from his time in the minors, etc?

I’ll be honest, I’d almost rather keep Stowers if it feels like Kjerstad will never be average as a defender, especially with Mayo in the pipeline. For the balance of the team, Stowers could possibly be a more well rounded role player. 

He’s got a. 28.4 sprint speed putting him in the 79th percentile.   

In 2021 prospects live have him a 60 D 50 arm.

https://www.prospectslive.com/scoutingreports/heston-kjerstad

Fa graphs gave him a 40 D CV & 45 D FV

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/heston-kjerstad/31166/stats?position=DH/OF

MLB.com gave him a 50D 55 Arm 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2023/top100/heston-kjerstad-677008

Maybe @RZNJ can chime in with the BA grades. 

To me, he has the tools to be an average MLB OF.  If he puts in the work he should be a solid defender. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He’s got a. 28.4 sprint speed putting him in the 79th percentile.   

In 2021 prospects live have him a 60 D 50 arm.

https://www.prospectslive.com/scoutingreports/heston-kjerstad

Fa graphs gave him a 40 D CV & 45 D FV

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/heston-kjerstad/31166/stats?position=DH/OF

MLB.com gave him a 50D 55 Arm 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2023/top100/heston-kjerstad-677008

Maybe @RZNJ can chime in with the BA grades. 

To me, he has the tools to be an average MLB OF.  If he puts in the work he should be a solid defender. 

He's had like 1400 innings in the OF in the MiL over 250 games. When would be the appropriate time to start working on his defense? Now?

1 minute ago, Malike said:

He's had like 1400 innings in the OF in the MiL over 250 games. When would be the appropriate time to start working on his defense? Now?

What gets you to the show doesn’t keep you there.  His bat got him here and was very obviously his focus.  If he wants to stay and thrive his D will need to be a focus moving forward.  There’s no reason he can’t improve. 

Just now, emmett16 said:

What gets you to the show doesn’t keep you there.  His bat got him here and was very obviously his focus.  If he wants to stay and thrive his D will need to be a focus moving forward.  There’s no reason he can’t improve. 

How many guys get better at defense after the age of 25?

Most of the time defense peaks first.