My 2024 Midseason Report Card

Frobby

Thanks for doing this. As soon as I realized we were at 81 games when I checked the standings I was waiting to see you post this. 

Adley would see that OBP he’s sacrificed for power go up with a robo ump strike zone. He had to adapt to human error and get more aggressive. 

The things that stand out to me…

- Gunnar is that dude. Give him that Witt deal.

- Mateo’s defense at 2B needs to be realized as possibly the best in MLB.

- Santa is having a big walk year. 

- Mullins and Hays have more defined roles now and both have been hitting pretty well in June. 

- The offense really picked up when the weather picked up.

- I expect boosts from Kjerstad and possibly Mayo in the 2nd half to offset any regression. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 3

Good post. Is it possible to go even higher on Gunnar? 

I would go B+ on Mateo. I don't think you can get an A- with a .280 OBP. He has exceeded my expectations though and taken the role I thought would go to Urias. 

I would grudgingly give Hays a C. He is back to league average offense (100 OPS+) and plays pretty good D. Coming off the all star year I expected a bit better we've always known he is not a complete player. D+ feels punitive. 

Outstanding effort Frobby.   I enjoyed the read.    

Adley's DH numbers keep his overall numbers up but his offense suffers when his catches.     He is such a key player no one talks about it.

Grades are fine.  Cowser may be a little high.   His defense is better than I thought it would be before the season.

Agree on Westy.   What a draft pick for Elias.

You listed 12 players.  Mullins and Hays with some of the poorest grades are already hitting better.   Plus Kjerstad is not here.    Mayo and Holliday available when there is space.    It's truly a dream.   

Are you going to do the pitching?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Outstanding effort Frobby.   I enjoyed the read.    

Adley's DH numbers keep his overall numbers up but his offense suffers when his catches.     He is such a key player no one talks about it.

Grades are fine.  Cowser may be a little high.   His defense is better than I thought it would be before the season.

Agree on Westy.   What a draft pick for Elias.

You listed 12 players.  Mullins and Hays with some of the poorest grades are already hitting better.   Plus Kjerstad is not here.    Mayo and Holliday available when there is space.    It's truly a dream.   

Are you going to do the pitching?

2nd sentence,

With 81 games in the books, it’s time for my annual midseason report card.   This post will grade the hitters (50 PA minimum), and I’ll grade the pitchers (20 IP minimum) in a separate post. 

A couple other observations wrt position players:

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Good post. Is it possible to go even higher on Gunnar? 

I would go B+ on Mateo. I don't think you can get an A- with a .280 OBP. He has exceeded my expectations though and taken the role I thought would go to Urias. 

I would grudgingly give Hays a C. He is back to league average offense (100 OPS+) and plays pretty good D. Coming off the all star year I expected a bit better we've always known he is not a complete player. D+ feels punitive. 

I think the difference in our grades on these two probably have more to do with our expectations of the two players than our evaluations of their performances.   

39 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

2nd sentence,

With 81 games in the books, it’s time for my annual midseason report card.   This post will grade the hitters (50 PA minimum), and I’ll grade the pitchers (20 IP minimum) in a separate post. 

I hope to get this done later today.   If not, then tomorrow for sure.

Just now, Frobby said:

Everybody gets a trophy -- in their own minds!  😉

I don't know, I've really fallen off on the volume these last couple of years and the quality was never that good.

I'm clearly in my decline phase and I'm OK with that.  I blame the lack of interaction on the music forum.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know, I've really fallen off on the volume these last couple of years and the quality was never that good.

I'm clearly in my decline phase and I'm OK with that.  I blame the lack of interaction on the music forum.

That’s too bad.  I feel like I’m only getting better.   😇