6/30 vs Texas Rangers

Morgan423

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He hasn’t been quite the same since the Soto collision. They made reference the other night that his knee is still bothering him from that hit.

I wonder if it would be prudent to put him on the IL and give him 10 days off and bring him back right before the AS if he makes the team or right after it if he doesn’t. 

Good point, though I thought at least one of his bad days at second was prior to the Yankee series.  I could be mistaken though.   He might be pushing to make the All-Star game too. Despite the injury.  He also could just be looking over his shoulder. 

Just now, Yossarian said:

This night started out as a hype show for the young Orioles and their potent offense full of power up and down the lineup.  It has turned into the Wyatt Langford show.  Quiet night for Birds bats.

Predictable. Same thing happened on Apple TV earlier this season.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Some numbers from baseball reference.   They break down pitchers into power pitchers, finesse pitchers, and averege power/finesse pitchers.   So 3 categories.

Orioles:

• vs power pitchers:  .258/.332/.495/.827
  • vs avg P/F pitchers:  .232/.304/.452/.756
  • vs finesse pitchers:  .267/.317/,458/.776

So from those numbers alone, we have the best OPS vs power pitchers, but best average and not a bad OPS vs finesse pitchers, and are worse against guys in the middle.   Of course to really judge the Orioles, you need to know how MLB teams in general do vs the different types.   For example, it's not surprising that we have a lower onbase vs finesse pitchers even though our average is good.   If there's one thing finesse pitchers are good at, it's not walking people.   So everyone should walk less vs finesse pitchers.

So let's look at the overall MLB #s vs the 3 categories:

MLB as a whole

• vs power pitchers:  .222/.308/.364/.672
  • vs avge P/F pitchers:  .236/.305/.385/.690
  • vs finesse pitchers:  .257/.318/.415/.733

OK, so in general, major league teams do better vs finesse pitchers than vs power pitchers.  

The Orioles appear to be a bit the opposite.  We have our highest average, onbase, slugging, and OPS vs power pitchers among the three categories.

So based on what we can conclude from the BB-REF stats, the Orioles skew a bit differently than most teams.   We are exceptionally good vs power pitchers.   It's worse noting that we are still better than the MLB average vs finesse pitchers... but that is because our offense is so damn good overall that even when we drop off vs finesse pitchers and the rest of MLB gets a bit better vs them, we are still better.

hence the perception is correct.  We watch this team actually carve up great pitching and then get flummoxed by mediocrity.  

2 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Steve-that's a trend.  It means absolutely nothing much as the stat I originally quoted.  But it's not "cherry picking" or mis-applying the word trend.  It's a decent sample size used to identify a trend which you happen to disagree with but I don't think I deserve to be attacked the way I was.  Going back and editing his post after responding and adding that much is a low blow. Why are you busting my balls over such an innocuos statement that you have proven to be suspect???

I think the original trend you brought up has absolutely zero statististical significance.   Your original post talked about being concerned by it and I totally disagree that there is anything to be concerned about.

As for the rest of the discussion.  honestly I didn't even read much of it.   I glanced at it.   There are a million threads on here where SportsGuy and someone else disagree on something and go back and forth and start picking the exact meaning of words and interpreting what the other person is saying... and I've read so many of them that I usually don't bother with them anymore.   There is rarely any new information in those discussions once the first couple posts have been read.   It's just a back and forth of someone saying something and someone saying they misinterpreted what they are saying and finding new ways to re-state the same point.   So I have no idea about going back and editing or anything like that.   I saw it was going to be one of those discussions and avoided reading it.

My entire response is based on you bringing up a completely insignificant 11 game sample where we are only one game off our expected result and indicating it was something you were concerned about.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes but not by much and in the context of the conversation, it’s not like you would expect some major drop off in Irvin’s production because of the park, which is what your point was…and it’s wrong.

I wasn't making that point, OsFanFromThe80s was.

Just now, baltfan said:

hence the perception is correct.  We watch this team actually carve up great pitching and then get flummoxed by mediocrity.  

Well, pretty much correct, although "flummoxed" still means we hit the finesse pitchers better than most major league teams.