Penn traded to the Marlins for IF Robert Andino

Steel Curtain

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You weren't really a radio talk show host, per se, when you started.

I bet you think you are a pretty good one now.

People do improve at things.

Now see, Drew proves the opposite of your point :D

(Dammit, I didn't want to get further involved in this particular stupidity than I was...)

I don't know what everone is up in arms about... Penn was not going to stick with this team for the whole season, so we decided to deal him instead of letting someone pick him up for free later on. We now have five outfielders and six (and a half) infielders to add the the versatility on our team. We got back a solid backup MI, which we didn't have, for a player that was not going to be on the team past May, or certanily not June. If anything, we practically got something for nothing in that sense. Just because Eaton and Hendrickson (and Baez, and Bass, and Waters, and so on...) aren't any good, it doesn't make Penn good by comparison. His ship has simply sailed. There's really no other way to put it.

Guys, let's keep this about Penn and Andino, and not about those of questionable reputation with axes to grind.

Andino looks like a very interesting guy. Probably not likely to turn into more than a utility player, but he looks like he might be developing as a hitter and sounds like a good defender. If he can become Cesar Izturis at a fraction of the cost it might be helpful at least as the backup infielder in the future.

Good point, BTerp. These threads sometimes spin off into something far different than what they started as...and I'm GUILTY in this thread! :o

I think this is a no-lose one for us. If Andino is nothing more than a utility guy, it's likely more than we would have been able to get from any other team.

Guys, let's keep this about Penn and Andino, and not about those of questionable reputation with axes to grind.

Andino looks like a very interesting guy. Probably not likely to turn into more than a utility player, but he looks like he might be developing as a hitter and sounds like a good defender. If he can become Cesar Izturis at a fraction of the cost it might be helpful at least as the backup infielder in the future.

Agreed. The retorts to DF are becoming nearly as obnoxious as DF's posts. People could just ignore him.

Anyway, my concern about Andino is that poor OBP and K/BB ratio (3:1 over his career). The K/BB rate did improve a bit last year. Hopefully, he is very good with the glove.

My biggest gripe is that I wouldn't have made this trade at this time. Penn should have made the 25-man. He could have been used out of the bullpen over the next few months and if he didn't show anything he could have been traded at that point or, perhaps, been more likely to clear waivers.

It to my understanding that we don't need a 5th starter for a while, so Eaton is not needed.

Who is Olson???

The Orioles can probably go without a 5th start for the 1st 2 weeks of the season because of the 2 off days on April 7 and 16.

Olson is Garrett Olson, who was traded in January to the Cubs for our new LF Felix Pie. He has been mentioned a couple times in this threat, but I guess that is just people forgetting.

I think you missed the point.

That was not a discussion item about Adam Jones vs. Felix Pie. I didn't mention Adam Jones at all.

Pie's been bad EVERYWHERE this spring.

Penn's been bad too.

Pie stays. And gets the LF job without even doing any sit-ups.

Penn goes.

And they keep other re-treads around.

That's my point.

Just sayin'...

Pie has been coming around of late, and his OPS is now in the ballpark of where, say, Jay Payton was last year. Penn, on the other hand, fell apart as ST went along and his ERA is over 10 and all his other peripherals stink. Simply put, Pie is a B+ prospect who has had a D+ spring, while Penn is a C+ prospect who has had an F spring. And, starting Pie 75% of the time in LF doesn't hurt the team nearly as much as having Penn in the rotation if they both do poorly. Hence, the different treatment.

I would too, but I don't think that's an option at this point. The O's seem to have made up their minds that neither Baez nor Bass is going to be in the rotation, so Eaton automatically gets that spot. That leaves Baez and Bass fighting for the one remaining bullpen spot (which I would give to Bass).

Do you think they may still consider Bass for the 5th spot, if Eaton fails again on his next ST start?

Also, since you responded to me, I would just like to say that I really enjoy your game write ups and to keep up the good work. It is what brought me to this site. Sorry for the sidetrack.

I doubt Eaton is released.They prefer him in the rotation over Baez and Bass. It is between these two IMO. I would hate to see them lose Bass because of Baez' contract. Olson has an option. But when Hill comes back and Hendrickson goes to the pen who is the odd man out?

I assume you mean Simon, not Olson. There seems to be some disagreement as to whether Simon has an option. Roch says yes, CrazySilver says no.

I'm surprised nobody has come with a new completely-unanswerable question: Did this get done because AM expected a waiver claim, or because AM just decided to close the book on Penn's chapter regardless of waivers?

Archived