2024 2nd Round Pick (#61): Ethan Anderson - C - (Jr) Virginia (VA)

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

We are on pace for back to back 100 win seasons. We lead the division with a 96% chance of making the playoffs. There are only six teams head of us in starter ERA.

Burnes and Grayson are a credible 1-2. Suarez has a 2.83 ERA. Kremer is a solid 4. Irvin and Povich are solid 5 options.

I am assuming we will improve at the deadline. Yeah, I'd say it's working. 

Technically, we are only on pace for 98 wins following our most recent 5 game losing streak.  

On 7/14/2024 at 10:47 PM, Frobby said:

Hmmm.   Didn’t see that coming.   

Positional value. CF, C, and SS to start things off. 

Keep the position pipeline strong to have year in/year out playoff type teams. Elias might be restocking the system while staying true to his board/beliefs. 

Grow the bats. Buy the arms. 

ESPN Kiley on Anderson.    I watch very little college ball, but kind of hear this liike UVA's offensive philosophy maybe Oregon State-adjacent, where Adley and Kwan as contact masters kind of embody the style.     We've seen the Orioles coach power into Cowser and Norby high batting average college hitters, and right now 5 years after his draft we are watching Adley do whatever it is he is doing right now growing his game to menace pitchers more (it may or may not be working, or authenic to his DNA as a hitter):

Sleeper to watch: Ethan Anderson, C (No. 61). There's no doubt Anderson can hit, but he didn't catch much in college. If he is good enough to be an everyday defender, the Orioles might have a steal on their hands. Virginia hasn't always helped its hitters tap into power while in college, and Anderson has 20-homer upside.

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• You can save the 9M and spend it elsewhere but you’re still going to need a CF and good luck finding one better than Mullins for 9M.   In fantasy world we can plug EBJ there on OD, hope he hits .230/.290/330 and provides outstanding defense and 50+ SB but that doesn’t seem to be Elias’ style.   More of an LA Angels move.
    • Firing Hyde would be a nonsensical move right now. A knee jerk reaction. Baseball is a long season, full of ups and downs. He is a steady force, and definitely imperfect. Part of his appeal as a manager is that he has a fairly calm exterior, but he is fiery. He doesn’t just flip his lid for some minor thing. He does make mistakes, and tends to over-manage, at times, with matchups and such. And perhaps he is loyal to a fault, but his players live him for it. If we are going to blame Hyde for this mess, I think it misguided. You can say this is a very flawed and inexperienced team. Its construction has sacrificed some defense for production. Injuries to Mateo and Westburg have hurt. We have infielders who cannot execute a proper tag, or make a basic throw on the run. Mullins is banged up, again. We can certainly lay some bricks at Elias’ feet for team construction. How many LH bats do we need? Adding Slater was actually a good move. Eloy Jimenez, I actually like that too. We have watched this team change over from the hungry grinders to the young stars. We do seem to have guys who want to be stars, rather than be good at baseball and win games. I don’t care how many home runs we hit. Kevin Brown talks about that like I should actually care. Or what the exit velo is on a ground ball out. I want to see guys play smart, with a good approach. Shorten up with two strikes. Execute a bunt, or a hit and run. I want them to play team baseball and win. The Astros dugout is so much more engaged than we are. They have a few stars, but those guys just have some good solid players who are always hungry and in the game. When the camera pans into their dugout, look how engaged they are. 
    • Roy, you don't have to defend yourself or your fandom to anyone - particularly some marginal poster on this site. You are one of the posters that make this site special aand we are fortunate to have you around. May your fandom last forever! Plus, hope is a Tony Tatter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
    • Last year the team never gave him a lead. My guess is he would be a lot more willing to extend Bautista and Cano in those one run situations. With off days and such he will have everybody available most games unlike the regular season. 
    • I don't really buy the injured cavalry narrative. We don't really know if or when some of these guys are coming back or how they'll perform. Plus, we don't know who else will replace them on the injured list. Mountcastle, Mullins and Rutschman already not full strength, for starters...
    • Thats what I thought the thread was about. The other Soto, I cant believe poeple are even responding to that.
    • Mullins will be worth his salary, in the abstract.  But sometimes when you go to a nice restaurant, you have to decide between the nice bottle of wine, the filet mignon, or the fancy dessert to stay within your budget.   So do you want to spend $9 mm on a part-time CF, or we would you rather trade him for something of value and spend the money on other needs?   
  • Popular Contributors