2024 4th Round Pick (#127): Chase Allsup - RHP - (Jr) Auburn (AL)

Just now, Malike said:

Gets hit pretty hard, 13 HRs in 62IP. 10.7 K/9 this season, 10.1 for his career at Auburn. I don't hate the pick. Doesn't walk a ton but gives up hits.

If you wait until the 4th rd, this is what happens. He could be an outlier, but I don't want a middle reliever as our first pitcher taken. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

HRs are likely a by-product of throwing more strikes this year. Seems to have the "stuff", but likely a RP which is fine with me.

Yep. I’m good with relievers in these rounds.  I think taking guys who maybe are under the radar because they were failed starters is a good strategy. May even be able to save a little money here as well.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yep. I’m good with relievers in these rounds.  I think taking guys who maybe are under the radar because they were failed starters is a good strategy. May even be able to save a little money here as well.

Totally agree.

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Trace Bright at Auburn - 140 IP of 6.00 ERA and 149/63 K/BB

Chase Allsup at Auburn - 140 IP of 5.10 ERA and 159/66 K/BB

Thanks.  I couldn't think of who the prior Auburn pitcher was.  Interesting how they compare too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I think it’s one and done for him in rotation but to me question is then what?  I’m sure they would prefer him to go back to AAA and start but what if a team claims him?   Then they would have to keep him in pen as long man to avoid that. 
    • This could definitely be one and done for Irvin in the rotation, but with the Eflin injury I wonder if they try to put Irvin back in the pen instead of DFA’ing him. I believe he could not reject the outright to AAA after clearing waivers the first time, but now he could now if they DFA him again. Young and Irvin are really the only SP depth remaining now, and there’s big questions about all of the SP except Burnes, Kremer and Irvin left standing now making it through the rest of the year. Suárez threw a lot over winter ball, Rogers barely pitched last year and is already pushing his career high IP, and Povich and especially Young are still building up innings as young SP (with Young coming off TJS as well).  I think Young is a much better option than Irvin now, but Irvin is durable if nothing else. Young also had the 40-man roster working against him (although he will need to be added this offseason, so that’s not much of an impediment), but I also wonder if they will be conscious of trying to not use one of Young’s options this year. This year has really emphasized the importance of optionable SP depth and he projects to be one of those depth guys for the next few years. That’s a very marginal difference in value and it doesn’t outweigh trying to have the best team we can put on the field now, but it could be a factor under consideration.
    • Guardians a factor in this? Do they have an easy schedule? Maybe we can beat them out if Houston continues their hot stretch. I think I definitely have concern knowing BOS is only 7 GB. I don’t think we’ll fade hard, but 7 games is not a shoo in.  
    • That’s two very good starts for Kremer.  Hopefully he’s getting on a roll of good pitching, as he’s capable of doing.  
    • The magic done ran out.
    • One of Selby, Tate or Smith needs to be optioned for Irvin. Another will need to go for Akin when he is back from paternity leave. I’m going to guess Selby goes for Irvin today and Tate soaks up some innings today before going for Akin. But Smith could be optioned if they want both Selby and Tate available today.
  • Popular Contributors