Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Pitching cost more than hitting. 

Any trade that doesn’t include 2 of the big 3 would be a surprise to me. 

There have been very few trades in the past decade where more than one top 20 [including one] is moved for a pitcher. The only one I can think of is Sale from White Sox to Red Sox. And Skubal doesn’t have anything close to a resume that Sale had at that time.

I just don’t see it. Maybe someone remembers multiple trades in the last decade where this has been the case?

Otherwise, I’m struggling with the logic/reasoning behind the suggestion that Skubal will cost two of Holliday, Mayo, Basallo.

Who can even afford to pay that kind of price? Only team that I can think of that can get close is maybe Mariners?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bpilktree67 said:

Honestly I have no interest in Skubal for anything close to what it would take.  Maybe he is healthy for the next 2.5 years but his size and delivery with all that movement just screams another TJS to me and we have him for 1 year at most.  The reward is very good if he stays healthy but the risk just seems way too big for me.  

I respect you not wanting to surrender prospects. But what would be the plan to land pitching that is good enough to meaningfully add the requisite talent to give ourselves the edge this year?

And what would you do in order to add the requisite pitching talent to contend in 2025?

I ask because I see us at kind of a crossroads of sort.

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I respect you not wanting to surrender prospects. But what would be the plan to land pitching that is good enough to meaningfully add the requisite talent to give ourselves the edge this year?

And what would you do in order to add the requisite pitching talent to contend in 2025?

I ask because I see us at kind of a crossroads of sort.

I don’t think they need an ace they just need a solid number 3 starter to fill in at game 3 and push Kremer or Suarez to number 4.  This whole idea that you need 3 TOR guys to make a deep run just is not true.  Last year the Rangers won the championship with a rotation of Montgomery, Evoldi, Heaney and Scherzer.  That is probably 3-3’s and a 4 starter last year going into the playoffs.  Evoldi was a high 3 era guy the last few seasons.  Montgomery is mid 3 era guy who doesn’t walk guys but also a contact pitcher and not many strikeouts.  Heaney is a mid 4 ERA guy that is back of rotation type and probably worse than Kremer numbers wise.  Scherzer has top of rotation pedigree but he had injury questions going into playoff only throwing 14 innings in September going into the playoffs and missed most of playoffs.  Everyone here was excited when we drew them because of no top starters and shaky bullpen.  

The Diamondbacks rotation had a solid number 1/2 type guy in Gallen.  Then Merrill Kelly a 34 year old middle rotation guy that that was late bloomer but was solid last few years.  There 3rd starter was Brandon Pfaadt a young pitcher with a high 5 ERA lastseason.  There 4th starter was just an opener who had mid 4 ERA on the year.  

You give me Burns, GRod, a solid number 3, and Kremer or Suarez I like our chances.  There is a few number 3 guys that would fit well and not cost a lot.  I like Bassitt,  Fredde, Scherzer, Severino, and Talion.  Those guys are rentals or 1 more year of control after this.  I think it best to find someone for this season first and if you get an extra year great but not a necessarily needed.  Then this offseason with new ownership we can’t determine the next step.  How much money will they spend will be key and then either free agency or a trade.  Last off season we got Burns a TOR for a blocked infield prospect and a fringe starter/bullpen guy.  Let’s see what we can do this offseason.