Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It was mentioned 

It's interesting. They don't have much future payroll obligations at all, until you look at arb predictions. I'm not sure they would be motivated by such a deal. On the other hand, my guess is they would still want a top 3 headliner, but would likely not want much more if we took money back, and may even add a reliever to the deal.

It was mentioned 

It's interesting. They don't have much future payroll obligations at all, until you look at arb predictions. I'm not sure they would be motivated by such a deal. On the other hand, my guess is they would still want a top 3 headliner, but would likely not want much more if we took money back, and may even add a reliever to the deal.

It was mentioned 

Just now, RZNJ said:

Obviously, all pitchers are risky but you like your chances of getting 30 starts a year from guys like Cease and Burnes who have a track record of durability.   

I mean I agree, and I do think Elias places more value on guys like that. 

But you're only durable until you're not, and no one knows when that's coming. 

Just now, LookinUp said:

That Baez contract may be the worst in baseball. I’m not sure I take that on to get Skubal for less and I kind of doubt Det does that anyway.

Just now, interloper said:

If he places value on that why didn't he flip guys like Means and Wells who were never considered reliable?

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

So?  That doesn’t mean certain guys don’t carry more risk.

The opposite can be true too. You can be a guy who gets hurt a lot and then you become durable.  Santander is an example of that.

Just now, interloper said:

Mainly I meant he has targeted durable pitchers in free agency. 

I'm just saying if the valued that why didn't he move the guys he currently had that didn't present that trait?  (for fair value of course)

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he places value on that why didn't he flip guys like Means and Wells who were never considered reliable?

Lack of starting pitching depth?   That's the only thing I can think of...plus those guys were considered question marks during this past offseason and likely would not be looked at highly by other orgs (and I know you know that).  I think they thought it better to keep them and hope they would be healthy than to trade them for scraps.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Ahh look who is getting desperate and throwing out slang terms he doesn't even understand.

Oh I’m not desperate. And I know what it means.  You are perfect for that. It suits everything about you.

Just now, clapdiddy said:

Lack of starting pitching depth?   That's the only thing I can think of...plus those guys were considered question marks during this past offseason and likely would not be looked at highly by other orgs (and I know you know that).  I think they thought it better to keep them and hope they would be healthy than to trade them for scraps.

I think folks like to reduce things to a level of simplicity that isn't manifested in reality.

I'm sure every GM would prefer guys that are durable.