Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

The top seven MLB contracts by AAV includes six starting pitchers.

And if I went back and looked at the NFL 20 years ago and what they paid Rbs?  I would say the same.  They were the highest paid and most coveted position. 

Now look.    They are basically worthless in the large scheme of things in the modern NFL.

Get out of this mentality that starting pitchers are worth the same VALUE$$$$ wise as they were 10, 20, 30 years ago.

They just aren't.  I realize you are probably above the age of 60 or even 70?  But times change....son.

People can change.  People can learn. 

7 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Can of corn can say all he wants to.  But he is the same person who said under NO circumstances should we ever resign Nelson Cruz when he was with the Os.

Let that sink in. 

Think  guys. 

And that was the correct thinking. It just turned out that Cruz bucked the history of the game and became one of the few who stayed productive in his late 30s.  Spending a lot of money in hopes he does something that very few do is not a smart plan.

6 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Can of corn can say all he wants to.  But he is the same person who said under NO circumstances should we ever resign Nelson Cruz when he was with the Os.

Let that sink in. 

Think  guys. 

First off I don't think I said no circumstances. 

I would not have pushed back on him resigning for the 1/8 he made in 2014, so kindly don't put words in my mouth.

Secondly, you do know that was literately the most *unlikely* aging curve in MLB history right?   From someone that was busted for using PEDs.

You can have good process and bad results and bad process with good results.

Just because you get unlucky with a good process doesn't mean you switch to a bad process.

6 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

And if I went back and looked at the NFL 20 years ago and what they paid Rbs?  I would say the same.  They were the highest paid and most coveted position. 

Now look.    They are basically worthless in the large scheme of things in the modern NFL.

Get out of this mentality that starting pitchers are worth the same VALUE$$$$ wise as they were 10, 20, 30 years ago.

They just aren't.  I realize you are probably above the age of 60 or even 70?  But times change....son.

People can change.  People can learn. 

You JUST said this

And I think more and more GMs are starting to see this. 

Those are really recent contracts.

Starting pitchers are not getting paid like they are irrelevant.

No GM that is paying anyone is refusing to pay starting pitchers.  Elias is paying Burnes ~16M. 

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And that was the correct thinking. It just turned out that Cruz bucked the history of the game and became one of the few who stayed productive in his late 30s.  Spending a lot of money in hopes he does something that very few do is not a smart plan.

It was not the correct thing.  At all.  In fact not even close to being the correct thing.  The exact opposite universe.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would not have pushed back on him resigning for the 1/8 he made in 2014, so kindly don't put words in my mouth.

Secondly, you do know that was literately the most *unlikely* aging curve in MLB history right?   From someone that was busted for using PEDs.

Just because you get unlucky with a good process doesn't mean you switch to a bad process.

Again, as I have said many times...because you guys are all over the age of 60 and rely on old time stats?

You have a very old way of thinking.  No disrespect but that is what it is.  You are old school. 

Anyone with half a brain could see that Nelson Cruz was well worth what he signed for and was by far our best player that entire season.....and especially during the playoffs.  When things really matter. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

It was not the correct thing.  At all.  In fact not even close to being the correct thing.  The exact opposite universe.

So when a guy has a career year at 33 that's the one you want to sign to a long term deal?  That's the correct move?  When he's also been busted for PEDs?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You JUST said this

Those are really recent contracts.

Starting pitchers are not getting paid like they are irrelevant.

No GM that is paying anyone is refusing to pay starting pitchers.  Elias is paying Burnes ~16M. 

I am not sure what you mean here.  I said starting pitchers are not getting paid like they are irrelevant.

I don't agree with that but that is what is is....right now.

And yes Burnes is worth $16 M a year.   You start talking about the contract he is rumored to have next year?  $30 to $40 M a year for over 4 years?

Hell no. 

Not sure how you don't see the difference. 

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

Again, as I have said many times...because you guys are all over the age of 60 and rely on old time stats?

You have a very old way of thinking.  No disrespect but that is what it is.  You are old school. 

Anyone with have a brain could see that Nelson Cruz was well worth what he signed for and was in far our best player that entire season.....as especially during the playoffs.  When things really matter. 

Are you drunk?

Have you read my posts like, ever?

Does anyone else here think I rely on old time stats?

I think going ohh this 33 year old has figured it out, let's give him a lot of money is classic "old school" thinking.

Also Steve Pearce was the O's best player in 2014, glad they didn't give him a long term contract off of that career season.

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Again there is nothing in terms of precedent in the last 10 years that suggests a pitcher of Skubal’s pedigree/career achievements with that amount of control left can bring back a Soto kind of haul. Look at Soto’s season average in terms of WAR and look at Skubal’s. The two are not similar in terms of value.

Either Morosi is serving as a mouth piece for the Tigers in order to overstate Skubal’s value and drive up the price? Or he is serving his heart’s interest as a New Yorker and Yankee fan.

Morosi is from Detroit and is plugged in with the Tigers. He’s definitely serving as a mouthpiece for their front office. But I don’t think he has any connection to the Yankees. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So when a guy has a career year at 33 that's the one you want to sign to a long term deal?  That's the correct move?  When he's also been busted for PEDs?

Seeing is in the eye of the beholder.

I saw talent. A lot of it.   I said that then.  

You didn't.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This leads me to ask the question again, who is OOO? He joined in 2022, yet keeps insisting he was the "only one" who wanted to sign Cruz at the time. It's been a decade, I wonder what user name he got banned under.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you drunk?

Have you read my posts like, ever?

Does anyone else here think I rely on old time stats?

I think going ohh this 33 year old has figured it out, let's give him a lot of money is classic "old school" thinking.

Also Steve Pearce was the O's best player in 2014, glad they didn't give him a long term contract off of that career season.

You are comparing someone like Steve Pearce, who I like btw, to a legit elite talent like Nelson Cruz?

Wat?????

I mean....have you ever played a sport in your life?  Ever?  The two are not nor were they ever comparable. 

• Downvote 1