Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

You are comparing someone like Steve Pearce, who I like btw, to a legit elite talent like Nelson Cruz?

Wat?????

I mean....have you ever played a sport in your life?  Ever?  The two are not nor were they ever comparable. 

I don't want to get all "New School" on you but in 2014, the year in question, Cruz had an OPS+ of 137 and Pearce had an OPS+ of 157.

Not only was his batting average and on base average higher, his slugging was higher.

Are you so "old school" the only stat that matters to you is home runs?

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

You are comparing someone like Steve Pearce, who I like btw, to a legit elite talent like Nelson Cruz?

Wat?????

I mean....have you ever played a sport in your life?  Ever?  The two are not nor were they ever comparable. 

Boy are you thick.

46 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That does not include any extensions which we certainly need to be pursuing with everything we’ve got. We cannot allow (arguably the most talented player in our 70 year history) leave during his prime. 

I 100% agree. We are well equipped to run a payroll around 150 million per season if the winning continues. Rubenstien is a savy business man and I’m sure he’s working on revenue streams. 

10 minutes ago, Malike said:

This leads me to ask the question again, who is OOO? He joined in 2022, yet keeps insisting he was the "only one" who wanted to sign Cruz at the time. It's been a decade, I wonder what user name he got banned under.

I don't know dude.

If he is a returning user he's someone that gets off on creating elaborate online personas to troll with.

If this persona is legit he loves talking about himself way too much for us not to know who he used to be.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't want to get all "New School" on you but in 2014, the year in question, Cruz had an OPS+ of 137 and Pearce had an OPS+ of 157.

Not only was his batting average and on base average higher, his slugging was higher.

Are you so "old school" the only stat that matters to you is home runs?

Again I liked Steve Pearce.   Always did. 

But....

You are comparing Nelson Cruz, someone I really liked, to SP....someone I also really liked.  One has nothing to do with the other.

My point was NC should have been signed.  This was said.  Over and over.  You said no....under no circumstances should he be singed.  Over and over. 

Who was right?  How hard is it to admit that you were 1000000000000000% wrong?  Not just wrong....not even in the same universe wrong. 

Anyone can be wrong.  I am wrong all of the time.  At least I can admit it. 

But you keep playing whataboutism. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

15 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

Morosi is from Detroit and is plugged in with the Tigers. He’s definitely serving as a mouthpiece for their front office. But I don’t think he has any connection to the Yankees. 

I’m sorry. I thought he was from NY for some reason.

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Wasn’t there a poster back then that use to send out all these crazy trades and acted like we were the Yankees. Maybe he’s back under an alias. 

That 10000000000% wasn't me lol.

You guys just love playing little conspirators. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know dude.

If he is a returning user he's someone that gets off on creating elaborate online personas to troll with.

If this persona is legit he loves talking about himself way too much for us not to know who he used to be.

He's an honest forthcoming dude, I'm sure he'll tell us who he was when he was insisting that we should keep Cruz so we can go back and confirm it. He'd never lie.

7 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Again I liked Steve Pearce.   Always did. 

But....

You are comparing Nelson Cruz, someone I really liked, to SP....someone I also really liked.  One has nothing to do with the other.

My point was NC should have been signed.  This was said.  Over and over.  You said no....under no circumstances should he be singed.  Over and over. 

Who was right?  How hard is it to admit that you were 1000000000000000% wrong?  Not just wrong....not even in the same universe wrong. 

Anyone can be wrong.  I am wrong all of the time.  At least I can admit it. 

But you keep playing whataboutism. 

You haven't even admitted to being wrong about me in this thread.

I'll freely admit that Nelson Cruz was a good signing for the Mariners despite the bad process that went into it.  If he has signed with the O's maybe they get a ring in 2016.

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Major league pitchers these days are like current NFL running backs.  And I think more and more GMs are starting to see this. 

Neither are that important to a teams overall success.

NFL rbs because the NFL has become a passing league.  Remember when the NFL was all about running the ball?  Not now.  Hence why NFL Rbs scream about being underpaid.  But they are all replaceable.  They are a dime a dozen.  Hence they don't get paid much.  Because they are not worth much in a league that is about passing the ball. 

Major league elite starting pitchers?  They used to throw 7 innings to complete games.  Pitch every 4-5 days.  Now?  They pitch maybeeee 5-6 innings and get injured constantly.  And yet demand $300 M for 7 year.   How is that worth it? 

There is no way the modern MLB elite starting, or even average starting pitcher, is worth what you have to pay money wise or give up to trade for.

You are much better off having an elite bullpen, which costs much less, that can cover innings 6 through 9 than pay these starters this kind of cash.   Not only does the bullpen pitch in more intense situations, not only do they cost way less, but they also can pitch more than once every 5 days.   And they don't seem to get injured as much.  Which I am sure is result of they just pitch less innings.  Hence why I would not offer a boat load for any of the starting pitchers being talked about here.

Even Burnes....as good as he is...I don't know if he was worth the hype and what we gave up.  Strickly because he is gone after this year.  Starting pitchers are just not worth it. 

I had to stop laughing before I could reply. Comparing a MLB starting pitcher to a NFL RB is so far off it’s not funny. Premium starting pitching and defense wins titles. 

Without Burnes we aren’t in first place right now. We gave up Ortiz and Hall …the later has been awful. Mainly because they tried starting him again. But, still he’s been terrible. 

Edited by Roll Tide

3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

And how many of those teams rotations would you trade for the one that we have currently?

In just about any/every projected playoff matchup save for the Guardians and maybe the Twins, the other team has the matchup advantage in the series. IMO those are long odds when trying to be successful in multiple rounds of the playoffs in October. Maybe you are comfortable with that? I am not.

You give me Efflin, Scherzer or similar type number 3 ours matches up against anyone but the Mariners.  But again they have to score to beat you.  They can’t do that which is why GRod has went 12 innings 0er, Burnes 12 innings 2 runs and Kremer 5 innings 0 er.  That is 29 innings and 2 earned runs this season.  I don’t worry much about the Mariners because they can’t score they are 28th in runs per game they are 28th in ops and dead last in average.  Maybe they get hit in a series and beat you but you match the, up we are better because their offense is that bad.   
The Astros are good with Valdez, Verlander, and Blanco but Verlander is getting up there and Blanco is a 30 year old journeyman at 109 innings and has went over 125 innings 1 time.  So they have questions about how many innings he can go.  Which is a similar question with Skubal how much more can he go.  He is approaching his career high and if we make a solid run he would need to pitch 200+ innings so about 60 more then his career.  Then you have to think how many clutch innings has he thrown.  He has never thrown this many innings, never been in a pennant race, never pitched in playoffs either.  That is an entirely different atmosphere for any pitcher.  I would rather get someone that has some experience in that atmosphere.  Scherzer, Bassit and Efflin have done that with pitching in pennant races and in started in the playoffs.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You haven't even admitted to being wrong about me in this thread.

I'll freely admit that Nelson Cruz was a good signing for the Mariners despite the bad process that went into it.  If he has signed with the O's maybe they get a ring in 2016.

I'd argue moreso that would be Markakis. The holes in RF and LF killed us along with mediocre starting pitching in 2015 and 2016. That being said, living in the now where we're in a better spot than the 2014 team, I think Detroit could be looking for a more balanced return. Norby, Stowers, Horvath and Basallo could probably bring back Skubal. 

And if I went back and looked at the NFL 20 years ago and what they paid Rbs?  I would say the same.  They were the highest paid and most coveted position. 

Now look.    They are basically worthless in the large scheme of things in the modern NFL.

Get out of this mentality that starting pitchers are worth the same VALUE$$$$ wise as they were 10, 20, 30 years ago.

They just aren't.  I realize you are probably above the age of 60 or even 70?  But times change....son.

People can change.  People can learn. 

Say it with me …. Pitching and Defense wins titles. Good pitching shuts down good hitting. 

Edited by Roll Tide