Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

38 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

I like Holliday and think he’ll be a good player, at worst but I’d trade him for Skubal. We really need pitching and we don’t have a lot of promising prospects in that area. I doubt Tigers will be willing to deal him though. 

If they received 4 or 5 players for Skubal it shortens their retool period. 

On Twitter, Most Tiger fans seem to think a fair deal is one of Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, or  Kjerstad…Followed By Norby, McDermott or Povich, and two more. Saw Beavers and Stowers among the names.

3 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I’ve posted in a different thread but we have 27 million committed to next years contracts and 12 million of that is Kimbrel with an opt out. Elias was able to add 30 million to last years payroll with Burnes and Kimbrel before Rubenstein. With the way our pitching is so dire I don’t see any reason we can’t allocate 50 million to this upcoming free agency. Would Burnes at 35 million and 2 year 30 million dollar deal for Kikuchi or Wacha be out of realm of possibility?  Especially when you are clearing 37 million in Burnes, Kimbrel and Santander. 

They have the option on Kimbrell.  They will likely exercise it and hope for a really powerful back of the bullpen. 

16 minutes ago, baltfan said:

They have the option on Kimbrell.  They will likely exercise it and hope for a really powerful back of the bullpen. 

I think they will move on from Kimbrel, especially if Felix returns and is healthy later this summer. I think they could make better use of the $12 million or so on the option. 

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think they will move on from Kimbrel, especially if Felix returns and is healthy later this summer. I think they could make better use of the $12 million or so on the option. 

Can't see that happening unless another great back end option emerges this year (other than Felix). Tiny payroll and Kimbrel has been very good. Unlikely that Felix is back this year and I can't see the plan being for him to have his old usage % next year. 

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

There is a better correlation between strong bullpens and winning in the playoffs vs starters. 

8 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Can't see that happening unless another great back end option emerges this year (other than Felix). Tiny payroll and Kimbrel has been very good. Unlikely that Felix is back this year and I can't see the plan being for him to have his old usage % next year. 

If they added Brebbia and Erceg to bolster the pen. I’d pass on Kimbrel. He’s been mostly good but when he’s bad it’s been bad.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I had to stop laughing before I could reply. Comparing a MLB starting pitcher to a NFL RB is so far off it’s not funny. Premium starting pitching and defense wins titles. 

The same thing was said about NFL rbs 15 years ago.   As I said.......things change.    I am not saying starting pitching isn't valuable.  What I am saying is the value from them is being outweighed by the money being paid to them, and it is only going to get worse.    Especially considering the fact that they throw less and less innings every year and are an injury risk more and more.

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The same thing was said about NFL rbs 15 years ago.   As I said.......things change.    I am not saying starting pitching isn't valuable.  What I am saying is the value from them is being outweighed by the money being paid to them, and it is only going to get worse.    Especially considering the fact that they throw less and less innings every year and are an injury risk more and more.

No they don’t …. We had a great shot last year. The Rangers out pitched us in the series and knocked us out. Nobody is winning anything with a gaggle of 5 ERA starters. The good pitchers can shut down good hitters. 

The Hangout has been shell shocked by bad luck on the TJ injury front. And boy we’ve had some bad luck. But, diminishing the need for quality starting pitching is not the right approach.

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I somewhat see the correlation but would like to see more of a trend. Yes, Snell and Montgomery fell way short of expected contract. Yamamoto did not. I think this offseason will be more telling with Burnes and Fried. I think it’s going more towards more AAV and less years.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How would you go about creating an official list?

I have no idea. But @casadeozo said that we would be better off talking about players who are actually available. So I was trying to find out who those players are. And where so could get the info on them.

7 hours ago, survivedc said:

-Maybe their rotation as a whole, but Burnes, G-Rod and an upgraded 3 matches up very well with their quality. 

-I don't think anyone would argue that Skubal isn't way better. It's a question of what can the top flight prospects that are retained do to ALSO improve the team. Maybe ME thinks improving our RH hitting + one of the infield positions from within AND adding a solid 3rd starter is the move.

-Bassitt and Eflin are both under contract for next year, fwiw

Bassitt not Eflin are one for one replacements for Burnes. Neither can credibly slot in as a #1 starter to anchor the top of a championship caliber team IMO. 

Even if you add one of them and you allow Burnes to walk in FA, you are still going to need another top flight starter next year who is better than Bassitt/Eflin IMO.

However, a pitcher like Skubal can serve as insurance in case of a Burnes departure and credibly anchor the top of any rotation. 

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

If they received 4 or 5 players for Skubal it shortens their retool period. 

On Twitter, Most Tiger fans seem to think a fair deal is one of Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, or  Kjerstad…Followed By Norby, McDermott or Povich, and two more. Saw Beavers and Stowers among the names.

Any deal that is led by Kjerstad is a deal we should jump on….but we aren’t getting him for a deal led by HK and I have yet to see any Tigers fan who would be ok with that.  Most I see think HK should be the second guy.

6 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I somewhat see the correlation but would like to see more of a trend. Yes, Snell and Montgomery fell way short of expected contract. Yamamoto did not. I think this offseason will be more telling with Burnes and Fried. I think it’s going more towards more AAV and less years.

This should be the market correction for starting pitchers.  I have my doubts it will happen but 3-5 year deals should be what we see. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Any deal that is led by Kjerstad is a deal we should jump on….but we aren’t getting him for a deal led by HK and I have yet to see any Tigers fan who would be ok with that.  Most I see think HK should be the second guy.

I agree with the sentiment. Leads me to believe that a deal will not get done. 

9 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I had to stop laughing before I could reply. Comparing a MLB starting pitcher to a NFL RB is so far off it’s not funny. Premium starting pitching and defense wins titles. 

The Rangers didn’t have any premium starting pitching last year.

And btw, DL Hall has 16 IP this year because of an injury.  Saying he has been awful because they tried him as a starter is an absurd comment to make.