Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They both should worry you.

Crochet should cost less.

Im actually thinking the best guy to get is Luzardo, who if Miami sells would be more of buying for 75 cents on the dollar and in terms of what you trade and what the upside is, that’s your best odds of  a lot of bang for the buck.

But all of these guys are huge risks, which is why I’m not trading any of our top 3 and yes, those guys are big risks too but they are just not as likely to have major injuries to derail their careers.

What's the bigger risk, an injury that costs a season or a guy busting at the ML level?  Folks are acting like the Big Three are all proven commodities that are sure fire stars just waiting a chance.

Would we do Holliday, Cowser, Beavers, McDermott, and Johnson for Skubal?

I say yes. Trying to keep the LH SP prospects since we have the WALL.

They could swap Norby in for Beavers if they wanted. They get three immediate starters in position players if they go with Norby. Along with two pitching prospects.

Edited by sportsfan8703

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Would we do Holliday, Cowser, Beavers, McDermott, and Johnson for Skubal?

I say yes. Trying to keep the LH SP prospects since we have the WALL. 

No way.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Anybody think the smoke about Skubal is coming from the Dodgers and/or Orioles trying to put pressure on CWS to be more reasonable in their asks about Crochet?

If those are the two teams that have the motivation and prospect capital to make one of those big deals for Skubal or Crochet, then CWS know that one ending up with Skubal takes them out of the running for Crochet and drives down their leverage with the other.

What makes Crochet more desirable than Skubal?

Why would they be using DET and feining interest in Skubal just to go for Crochet?

7 minutes ago, Keygans said:

No way.  

It’s sort of a spare parts trade for us if you think about it. But spare parts for us could fill out a weaker team’s lineup. 

Holliday - He’s about to get passed up by Mayo. He’s already behind Westburg and Gunnar. 

Cowser - Kjerstad has passed him. We have Mullins back for CF next year. Yes, RF is his next year, but we also have Stowers. Maybe even Hays back. If desperate. Not a lack of options. 

Norby - See Holliday 

McDermott and Johnson - gotta trade pitching to get pitching. I’m keeping the Lefties in Povich, and Deleon, because we have the WALL. 

Would Detroit do Holliday, Cowser, Norby, McDermott, and Johnson?

They get 4 starters ASAP and could make a run in that division with some SP FA. Like KC this year. 

Holliday is their SS

Cowser plugs in RF

Norby and Keith play 2B/3B.  Det figures that out. 

McDermott to their rotation. 

Johnson to AAA. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Why would they be using DET and feining interest in Skubal just to go for Crochet?

I think it’s pretty unlikely we’re going for Crochet, or any CWS player for that matter, after last year. It sounded pretty clear Elias was dragged along by Getz all the way up to the deadline for Cease and they just never moved him. I can’t imagine Elias wants to do that one over. 

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What's the bigger risk, an injury that costs a season or a guy busting at the ML level?  Folks are acting like the Big Three are all proven commodities that are sure fire stars just waiting a chance.

Well when you only have the player for 2.5 years and they miss half of that due to injury and then you have to hope they bounce back, I think it’s pretty equal to be honest.

And no one is acting like that.,but it’s 6-7 years of cheap labor and an incredibly high ceiling(plus a lot more) vs 2 years of a big risk. It’s just an odds play and the odds are not in your favor on that type of deal imo.

I mean guys fail. Boston would make the Sale trade every day of the week but SD wouldn’t make the Soto trade even if he was good for them.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s sort of a spare parts trade for us if you think about it. But spare parts for us could fill out a weaker team’s lineup. 

Holliday - He’s about to get passed up by Mayo. He’s already behind Westburg and Gunnar. 

Cowser - Kjerstad has passed him. We have Mullins back for CF next year. Yes, RF is his next year, but we also have Stowers. Maybe even Hays back. If desperate. Not a lack of options. 

Norby - See Holliday 

McDermott and Johnson - gotta trade pitching to get pitching. I’m keeping the Lefties in Povich, and Deleon, because we have the WALL. 

Calling Holliday and Cowser spare parts is on the most absurd things I have seen on here.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Crochet is not more desirable than Skubal, but his trade value is lower and the CWS are motivated to move him. All accounts are that DET is not motivated to move Skubal.

It’s not about which is more desirable, it’s about supply/demand and putting another commodity perceived to be on the supply side.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Well when you only have the player for 2.5 years and they miss half of that due to injury and then you have to hope they bounce back, I think it’s pretty equal to be honest.

And no one is acting like that.,but it’s 6-7 years of cheap labor and an incredibly high ceiling(plus a lot more) vs 2 years of a big risk. It’s just an odds play and the odds are not in your favor on that type of deal imo.

I mean guys fail. Boston would make the Sale trade every day of the week but SD wouldn’t make the Soto trade even if he was good for them.

I think you have folks here that absolutely think that all three guys are future All-Stars.

We have one poster that is claiming all three should be in the top 5 overall.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think you have folks here that absolutely think that all three guys are future All-Stars.

We have one poster that is claiming all three should be in the top 5 overall.

I think there is a good chance if they all stay healthy that all 3 are AS level guys and all 3 could be MVp level guys.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Calling Holliday and Cowser spare parts is on the most absurd things I have seen on here.

Man step back. I literally just complimented you. 

Holliday is a spare part behind Gunnar SS, Westburg 2B, and Mayo 3B. 

Are you afraid the Tigers GM will catch on?  Haha. 

Cowser is a spare part too brother. Kjerstad has passed him over. Cowser really should be down in AAA right now for Mayo. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They would be insane not to accept that offer, and Mike Elias would likewise be insane to make it.

And do you really think Elias would trade 2 of his 4 coveted tank picks, much less in a single deal? I sure as hell don't. 

• Upvote 2

It took Elias years to build this system up, and some on here would like to see him tear it down for a trade for a pitcher. It is just insanity. No way in hell is Mike Elias going to do such a thing. No way

Edited by theobird
incomplete