Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

I still don't think the Tigers trade him. They have other pieces they can trade and I don't think they are trying for a full rebuild. They would need to be blown away to trade him and I doubt anyone does that, well....some teams do dumb things, but I think he stays.

15 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Just as information.  Skubal has never thrown 150 innings in a season and never placed top 10 in Cy Young voting. Chris Bassitt has finished top 10 3 of the past 4 years and we could probably get him for prospect 5-13.

Who is the better pitcher in your opinion?

I live in Detroit area, and listening to the local sports talk radio, I have not heard any specific talk about the Tigers asking for all three.  In fact, no specific offers have really been discussed, as far as I can tell

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I still don't think the Tigers trade him. They have other pieces they can trade and I don't think they are trying for a full rebuild. They would need to be blown away to trade him and I doubt anyone does that, well....some teams do dumb things, but I think he stays.

They would be idiots to keep him but I think that’s what they will do.

33 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Exactly. Cowser and Kjerstad were both top 30 prospects. I would hate to see Holiday a 5 time all star and we have a broken down pitcher.

Wow you sure are beating the injury drum hard. As I said, then you really don’t want him. You’re not stealing him! Holliday could go on to be a 5 time Allstar …but he also might be years down the road before he is ready to contribute. He was so bad early this spring that is was almost embarrassing.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Looch said:

I live in Detroit area, and listening to the local sports talk radio, I have not heard any specific talk about the Tigers asking for all three.  In fact, no specific offers have really been discussed, as far as I can tell

It certainly may be some kind of a bs rumor. Not trying to say it’s for sure.  Just sharing an exchange I saw.

That said, I have seen plenty of Detroit fans say the Tigers should be getting a deal similar to that, even if it’s not quite all 3 of them.

2 minutes ago, Keygans said:

What if… Detroit ONLY wanted one of the big 3,  and other pieces not named HK, Povich, McDermott, Norby, etc.

Would you do (one of big 3) plus Horvath, Fabian and Armbruester? 

I just don’t know. Part of me would feel foolish turning that down but part of me also believes we will be lucky to get 2 postseasons out of him and that isn’t worth it.

16 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

If that rumor is true , time move on to next target 

If that "rumor" is true (and I use that term very loosely as I do not consider fan opinion/speculation on a team message board to qualify as a rumor) but if it is true that means that the Tigers don't want to trade Skubal. And that is their right.

But again I ask, anyone to name the pitchers in the last TEN YEARS of Major League Baseball with a profile (career achievements and contract/team control) of Skubal's to get back a haul that included 3 top 15 prospects in the game. Skubal up until this point is not Chris Sale and he would be the only one that I can find. The WAR proposition on such a trade would make that kind of swap preposterous.

Skubal's career WAR is not even at 10.0 and he doesn't have but 2 1/2 seasons remaining. There is no way that the realistic/projectable WAR of all three of Jackson Holliday, Coby Mayo, and Samuel Basallo is not way more than that over the next 2 and 1/2 seasons let alone the next 6.

I can't see a professional/competent GM setting something so ridiculous as a realistic price. Any GM agreeing to meet that kind of inequitable demand would likely be fired.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Wow you sure are beating the injury drum hard. As I said, then you really don’t want him. You’re not stealing him! Holliday could go on to be a 5 time Allstar …but he also might be years down the road before he is ready to contribute. He was so bad early this spring that is was almost embarrassing.

He is also the youngest player in the International league with more walks than strikeouts. He also has 900 OPS at 20 years old. Every scouting service has him number 1-2 prospect in baseball. Glad 10 games changed your opinion. Gunnar just struck out 8 times in 11 AB’s. We should trade him too?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If that "rumor" is true (and I use that term very loosely as I do not consider fan opinion/speculation on a team message board to qualify as a rumor) but if it is true that means that the Tigers don't want to trade Skubal. And that is their right.

But again I ask, anyone to name the pitchers in the last TEN YEARS of Major League Baseball with a profile (career achievements and contract/team control) of Skubal's to get back a haul that included 3 top 15 prospects in the game. Skubal up until this point is not Chris Sale and he would be the only one that I can find. The WAR proposition on such a trade would make that kind of swap preposterous.

Skubal's career WAR is not even at 10.0 and he doesn't have but 2 1/2 seasons remaining. There is no way that the realistic/projectable WAR of all three of Jackson Holliday, Coby Mayo, and Samuel Basallo is not way more than that over the next 2 and 1/2 seasons let alone the next 6.

I can't see a professional/competent GM setting something so ridiculous as a realistic price. Any GM agreeing to meet that kind of inequitable demand would likely be fired.

No one is trading 3 top 15 guys for him. But 1 top 15, 1 top 50 and a few guys that are in the 75-150 range is probably what it would take.

19 minutes ago, Malike said:

He's healthy and at peak value. Waiting only limits what they will get from here. AND they are not going to be in a position to seriously compete with him on the roster this season, next season or in 26'. Their offense is terrible and their best position player prospect is 19 at A ball. And the kid they just took in the draft - the same. 

Again, they are a ways away IMO from being the best version of themselves in the foreseeable future. And that team most probably does not include Tarik Skubal.

Here are our Tigers fellow nuts - page 19 is around when they start digesting the Verducci report.    It is all upside and no downside for Scott Harris, competing with Chris Getz, to want this kind of story leaked.

https://www.motownforums.com/topic/1978-2024-trade-deadline-rumors-and-discussion/page/19/#comments

It sounds like @Greg Pappashas already established an outpost there as a poster mentions talking with him.

Maybe "Tigers SS" could be the job Jorge Mateo gets full time run with.