What do you expect from Norby?

wildcard

They have not yet placed Mateo on the IL or activated Norby, right?   

FWIW, Norby has the third-highest OPS of any Orioles minor leaguer in July.  He’s hitting .344/.431/.607 and leads the MiL organization in homers with 5.   

(Jackson Holliday leads the org in OPS this month at 1.181.)

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They have not yet placed Mateo on the IL or activated Norby, right?   

FWIW, Norby has the third-highest OPS of any Orioles minor leaguer in July.  He’s hitting .344/.431/.607 and leads the MiL organization in homers with 5.   

(Jackson Holliday leads the org in OPS this month at 1.181.)

I don't see how Mateo avoids the IL if he has a dislocated elbow.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Showcased over the next few days?

Not nearly enough time before the deadline to add any useful information or insight. He's up because there's a gap to be filled at 2B/IF bench, and that's the way Elias has chosen to fill it. 

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't see how Mateo avoids the IL if he has a dislocated elbow.

Has that been formally diagnosed?   I’ll be honest, I was very surprised he wasn’t out on the IL yesterday.  

He looked like a hitter when he was up before.  I expect him to hit.  His defense wasn’t exposed in the first cup of coffee.  I think he can turn two but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see some chinks in the defensive armor.

They never made an IL move so it's not clear that he will even make it to the active roster. Seems like if Mateo is seriously hurt they should have made a move yesterday rather than play with no backup infielder. If he plays, I would expect him to platoon vs LHP and hit well. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Well, if you’re not going to draw any conclusions how, at the same time, can you say he’s going to need a lot of reworking this off season? Just saying.
    • I have been one to minimize these few games of exposure to the minors after being drafted.  0 for 16 at Aberdeen in concerning to me.  I guess all I can do is know development staff will be working with him this offseason to make changes and hope for the best.
    • I agree. We’ll see if he has any success at that level.   
    • If Eflin keeps pitching like this, he might get a $100 million deal.  If Eflin was a FA this year, I'm betting he would get close to it.  Seems like the top 3 would be Burnes, Snell and Japanese pitcher who I can't remember his name.  All 3 could get $200 million deals. Eflin would look like a bargain un comparison.  The last 5 years I've never guesses right once with how expensive starting pitching will be.  It even exceeds what I think is an overpay for pitchers.
    • I'm not going to draw any conclusions off his start to his professional career, but the amount of miss is enough to give me a little pause.  Now, he could very well be a slow starter kind of guy who because of his late start is why he's really struggle to find his footing, but he's going to need a lot of reworking this offseason. Either way, we'll know a lot more after next season then we know right now. No reason to write him off, but also no reason to be overly optimistic.  There's lots of talent in there. This will be a great test for the hitting development staff.
    • That’s a great point, too. He saw Rogers wasn’t ready and instead of being “stubborn” and keeping him out there, he sent him down to work on things.    If anything he’s proven not to be stubborn. That’s his whole reason he and Sig have these jobs; to keep finding new ways to look at baseball and evaluate talent. They’re not “stubborn” at all. They’re at the vanguard of how the game is dissected and analyzed.  Stubborn? FOH. 
  • Popular Contributors