Austin Hays Appreciation Thread

NashLumber

8 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Yeah like I said, there’s nothing controversial about the verse itself so I was wondering if it had been turned into something inflammatory.

I’m wearing a t-Shirt right now that says,”put on the whole armor of God,” and I can’t imagine why anyone would take umbrage at that.

Maybe without realizing it, you've said two different things. To me, the content of Hays' Tweet and your T-shirt are highly controversial. In fact, I can't think of many things that are more controversial.  But I take no umbrage at either. You're expressing  your personal convictions, and that's fine with me and, I would guess, almost everybody.

Here's a contrast. When I go to a game at Yankee Stadium, I stand to honor the veteran who is being honored during the seventh inning stretch. I then sit down for the singing of "God Bless America," for some reasons you might surmise and other reasons you likely wouldn't. I  recognize that's a controversial act, and that fact often is underscored by being called names and having things thrown at me. (It also has led to some interesting conversations about the writing and the history of the song, and its use since the 1930s.) I think it's fair to say that some (probably many) take umbrage at my expressing my views. Yet I have no problem with you, or Hays, or anyone else expressing yours.  

I wish him the best in Philly. He was a guy that, I think, maximized his talent and ability. 

Was glad for some of the “old guard” to see it through and play for some winners here. Ced, Tony, Mounty…dunno how much longer those guys are gonna be here  but I’m glad they got to play winning ball here.

Tip of the cap to Hays, a great player who was a class act. I hope he helps Philly down the stretch. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I understand where you’re coming from, I think, but where are we separate is the understanding of proselytizing religions in general and Christianity specifically.

The very act of saying, “I am a Christian“ automatically suggests that I think you should be a Christian too because Christianity is a proselytizing religion.

So someone who is militantly opposed to Christianity might take offense by that simple comment.

My T-shirt is not just telling you what I do believe, but also what I think you should believe.

And that’s ok. 

my unbelieving friends were not offended when I said “God bless you“ even though they don’t believe in God and my desire for his blessing on them meant nothing to them, as far as they were concerned, beyond my own good wishes.

Politics is a poor analog, but of course the Democrat wants to convince his friend to vote Democrat and vice versa because each believes that his way is better.

I’m not offended if someone disagrees with me, and I’m only mildly annoyed if they think I’m stupid for believing the things I believe. But that’s fine. That’s them and that’s OK. Their thoughts do not affect me so I’m not going to waste any energy being offended by them.

You said you sit during God bless America, presumably because you don’t believe in God. But what’s wrong with wanting God to bless America? For those who don’t believe, it is merely a hope for a good future for our country, and what is wrong with that. If you wish to sit down, that’s fine but it seems a little bit purposeless to me.

I would never castigate you for sitting, anymore than I castigated Collin Kopernick for kneeling. It’s a gesture. It is an expression of belief, and I have no problem with such expressions, and there is no reason for anyone to have a problem with mine.

Actually, the singing of God bless America has kind of become a recruiting tool for the United States military, and I never listen during games, not just because it’s almost always badly sung.

personally, I would love to replace both the anthem and God bless America with 30 seconds of silence. Can you imagine the power of 30,000 people being silent for 30 seconds? Just thinking about your life and the ripples that spread out from you to your family and your friends and your associates and your community and how you can affect those ripples in a good way? 

That would be incredibly powerful, but it will never happen.

Again, we can certainly discuss this privately if you wish but for now, can we go back to baseball?

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Just want to correct you: my religious views play a very small part in my revulsion at the playing of "God Bless America" at NYY games. 

37 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Can it, Phil. Nobody came in here to read you bloviate about religion. 

I tried to delete all the pertinent comments, but I’m not sure I got them. If you’re a mod, please delete them, I did not mean to go overboard.

So....regarding Austin Hays.

Hays was the perfect player for the rebuild.  His play during the woeful tearing down of the franchise offered hope.  He played hard, he played well and he played with a joy of the game.  It was easy to root for him and it was easy to see potential in the Orioles through him.  

When he openly said he wanted to sign an extension in the spring, I thought the writing was on the wall and he was admitting it.  I am glad he got to Philly and if the Orioles do not win the WS, I hope Austin Hays hits a series winning hit or that he catches the final out in a Philly win.  

Thanks Austin Hays, best wishes to you.

Edited by foxfield
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, foxfield said:

So....regarding Austin Hays.

Hays was the perfect player for the rebuild.  His play during the woeful tearing down of the franchise offered hope.  He played hard, he played well and he played with a joy of the game.  It was easy to root for him and it was easy to see potential in the Orioles through him.  

When he openly said he wanted to sign an extension in the spring, I thought the writing was on the wall and he was admitting it.  I am glad he got to Philly and if the Orioles do not win the WS, I hope Austin Hays hits a series winning hit or that he catches the final out in a Philly win.  

Thanks Austin Hays, best wishes to you.

Also, heck of a draft pick by the prior regime.

Third round pick got to the majors the year after getting drafted.

12 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Maybe without realizing it, you've said two different things. To me, the content of Hays' Tweet and your T-shirt are highly controversial. In fact, I can't think of many things that are more controversial.  But I take no umbrage at either. You're expressing  your personal convictions, and that's fine with me and, I would guess, almost everybody.

Here's a contrast. When I go to a game at Yankee Stadium, I stand to honor the veteran who is being honored during the seventh inning stretch. I then sit down for the singing of "God Bless America," for some reasons you might surmise and other reasons you likely wouldn't. I  recognize that's a controversial act, and that fact often is underscored by being called names and having things thrown at me. (It also has led to some interesting conversations about the writing and the history of the song, and its use since the 1930s.) I think it's fair to say that some (probably many) take umbrage at my expressing my views. Yet I have no problem with you, or Hays, or anyone else expressing yours.  

I’m a veteran and member of the legion. Been to several locations and they always stand when the song is played. Even in the lounge …

While appreciative of his time with the Os (especially during the dark times), I always was wanting a bit more from Austin Hays the player.  His tear thru the minors in 2017 with 330avg and 30+ HRs tantalized that he was potentially going to be a star and he reached the show in his age 21yrs season.  Yeah he got banged up with injuries earlier in his career, but he topped out as 105-110 wRC+ and advanced metrics did not love his defense either.  He was a solid ball player, and looked old school with high socks and no batting gloves.  

There are several quotes on Roch’s blog about Hays that encapsulate why he’s well worthy of appreciation:

“He’s huge,” said catcher James McCann. “He’s a guy that plays elite defense, comes up with big hits in big moments. And he’s a grinder. It’s something we talk about in here is the way we go about our business, the way that we focus on our process, we grind. You don’t use that phrase for first-rounders, typically, but you look at the guys who are first-rounders in this room and they grind. They get after it, they work hard, they play the game the right way, and he fits that mentality. And he was part of that culture being built here.”

Hays was a leader who made a major impact in the community and whose absence will be felt on and off the field. He handled the tricky dimensions in left better than most. And he wasn't afraid to stand at his locker after a tough loss and serve as the spokesman.

“I learned a lot, especially a couple spring trainings with him as well as last year and this year,” Cowser said. “Just taught me a whole lot. A lot on defense and how to play this left field. He’s someone that we’re really going to miss in this clubhouse. He’s a really good leader and I wish him the best.”

Asked what he’s going to miss the most about Hays, Cowser said, “The person that he is. He has really good values and he’s someone who’s a great leader, not only on the field but off the field. I think that’s something that we’re going to miss in this clubhouse.”

Bonds are formed when you go through tough times together.

“He’s one of the guys that’s still here from the original ’19 team, so someone I’ve been with this entire time we’ve been together here,” Hyde said. “He played the game so hard for all the years here in front of the fans, and how he went about his business on a daily basis I have so much respect for. Nobody played (as) hard, nobody played more hurt. He was incredible in the clubhouse, unbelievable in the community and the charity work. Incredible with our PR staff. I know he was wonderful to you guys. He’s a true pro, and to lose someone like that that we’re all close to, it’s tough.

“A close friend for a lot of guys in that clubhouse, and we definitely wish him well. I talked to some Philly people today and told them what kind of person and player he is. They’re getting a special guy. Tough day, but we’re excited about the two guys we’re getting and wish Austin well.

“It’s never easy but it’s also part of the game, part of the business of professional sports. Mike (Elias, the Orioles' executive vice president/general manager) is continuing to do an amazing job of building our roster, so these trades and these types of things happen. At the same time, you give a guy a hug and shake a guy’s hand that you’ve been with for a long time, and you hope that you get a chance to manage him again because he’s been an absolute pleasure to be with every day for quite a few years.”

• Upvote 1