James McCann is a badass

interloper

Very disappointed the team couldn't ride the McCann heroics into game two.   Back to their losing ways.  Perhaps it was just a Povich and bullpen problem, but they had 3 more errors.   Somebody needs to call a player's meeting.   

Just now, SouthRider said:

Very disappointed the team couldn't ride the McCann heroics into game two.   Back to their losing ways.  Perhaps it was just a Povich and bullpen problem, but they had 3 more errors.   Somebody needs to call a player's meeting.   

And do what?

My initial thought was that he got hit in the face because I didn't hear that crack that you hear when a ball hits a helmet flush.  It actually sounded more like hitting a catcher's mitt. 

McCann is a beast.  I've always thought he's gotten a bad rap on here for being a backup catcher...some people seem to think a backup catcher should be able to hit like Mike Piazza if they don't have the Ivan Rodriguez defense...or have the Ivan Rodriguez defense if they don't hit like Mike Piazza.

If a catcher has any one of those skill sets, they'd be starting somewhere.  McCann isn't a great hitter, I think he seems to be pretty solid defensively but probably what matters most is that he's got the respect of his teammates (before yesterday's event) and he's a gamer.  That's about as good as it gets for a backup catcher in the game right now.  

16 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The fact that he would not come out of the game because it was a double header is legendary type stuff. The guy can't breath out of his nose, probably has a broken nose, now his left eye is starting to swell shut. 

Dude could not get another hit all year and he's staying on the team.

The only thing that could have possibly made this more epic is if he got up, dusted himself off, and then did the ol' Albert Belle routine and stepped back in the batter's box to try and refuse to take his base.  🤣

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

The only thing that could have possibly made this more epic is if he got up, dusted himself off, and then did the ol' Albert Belle routine and stepped back in the batter's box to try and refuse to take his base.  🤣

That would have triggered the concussion protocol.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Yossarian said:

I do remember that spray.   It was just a can of composed air that froze or numbed the sound area.  I got should at second base in high school turning a DP.  Split my leg open right along the shin bone.   A butterfly bandaid and some of that spray did the trick (I really should have got some stitches but that's not how things were. 

I also remember the parks and rec guys breaking out bags of lye to chalk the batter's box and basepaths in Little League.  That could have been the best for our health.

I had not seen that spray in a long, long time. I think I heard Tony Kubek or one of those 70s era analysts describe it as "freeze 'em" or something.

My health as a youth ballplayer (on through high school) would have been better served it we'd had a grass infield. We had so many rocks on our field that I can't even count the times I had bad bounces hit me in the chest, shin or throat. I was mainly a second baseman. 

I even pulled out a shard of glass from my knee about 35 years after the fact.  

40 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

I had not seen that spray in a long, long time. I think I heard Tony Kubek or one of those 70s era analysts describe it as "freeze 'em" or something.

My health as a youth ballplayer (on through high school) would have been better served it we'd had a grass infield. We had so many rocks on our field that I can't even count the times I had bad bounces hit me in the chest, shin or throat. I was mainly a second baseman. 

I even pulled out a shard of glass from my knee about 35 years after the fact.  

I just re-read my last post and didn't realize how bad the auto-type butchered it.

It should have said I got spiked in the leg turning a DP and they sprayed that stuff on the wound.

The edge of the grass was always an adventure on our home field.  You could never predict which way or how high that ball was going go when it caught that lip.

• Upvote 1

On 7/30/2024 at 9:43 AM, BRobinsonfan said:

When I was a kid, I got hit by a pitch in the face.  I got up and tried to walk to 1st, made it two steps and collapsed.  Was unconscious until I got to the ER.  Ended up with a broken cheekbone and shattered lower orbital (I now have 3 titanium plates and 12 screws in my face).

My teammates thought I was badass for getting up and trying to go to first...but in reality it was purely a reflex and not a conscious decision.

Watching McCann getting hit brought back a lot of flashbacks.  Mad respect for the BAMF.