O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

5 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I get some of the negative reaction to this price, but the fact is that a young SP with 2.5 years of control is an expensive trade commodity. Even if they are not a TOR. 

Except he appears to be no better than Povich or Irvin.

8 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

OH posters never fail.  Do nothing - why are we keeping all these blocked prospects?  Do something - why did we trade these prospects for THAT???

Yes, because those are the only two options

2 minutes ago, GoldGlove21 said:

If the Orioles had landed nobody we would have criticized Mike Elias for not doing enough to bolster the club. If he traded a top 3 prospect we would have questioned why he didn't include a different top prospect given our needs or we would have given up too many supplemental prospects. If the value of starters wasn't already high the Blue Jays haul increased the value of starting pitching. Relievers might be even higher to be honest. Be prepared for someone like Tanner Scott to cost Kjerstad and a prospect at the back-end of our top 10. This is what happens when MLB added that second wild card and more teams feel like they have a chance. I don't love the trade, I wish it were a better name, but you have to think that we are 100% out on the remaining top starting pitchers mentioned on the trade block.

The Yankees got Leiter Jr for peanuts. If Scott is going to cost Kjerstad, I guess we're rolling with Seranthony. 

I think the difference between Vavra and Norby may have pushed Elias to do this deal. People forget Gerrit Cole had 107 and 100 ERA plus before the Astros acquired him and dialed him in. Verlander was trending towards career is over before the Astros traded for him. They have a plan for Roger’s and it’s a roll of the dice. With the current draft strategy this is the deals that will be made. We now have 5 viable MLB starting pitchers and still have 3 hours until the deadline is done.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The negative reaction wouldn't have been as bad if Norby hadn't popped a couple homers and made a few plays in the field that made everyone go "What bad reports about his defense?!?!"

We'll see what Rogers can do for us.  I'm hoping Elias and Sig see something in his profile that make them think there's improvements that they can make.  I'm not upset about a lefty in Camden Yards, either.

I'm also excited because Kevin Brown will remind everyone that this guy was a 1st round draft pick in 2017.

Norby also struck out ~30% of the time in AAA. Stowers will get a chance to prove he can do something at the MLB level, I wasn't super high on either of them.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Please look for the forest through the trees.  You all are looking at a small sampling of starts this year where he wasn’t good and extrapolating that out over his career.

And again, as I have talked about, there is something weird going on in Miami because all of their statcast numbers are ugly for the starters, even though they weren’t in the past

That’s fair and I like Rogers a LOT as a buy low candidate along with Detmers.

the issue is the cost. Norby was a borderline top 100 prospect in the off season and Tony just said if he was eligible Stowers could be the 3rd best prospect in the system.

Edited by casadeozo

Just now, fansince71 said:

Except he appears to be no better than Povich or Irvin.

Well, he's definitely better than Povich and Irvin. But he was probably on the 3rd or 4th  tier of available starters on the market, and that's what is disappointing. 

The question becomes: is he better than Suarez? That I'm more iffy on. He's pitched better than him *recently*.