O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Why are we even worried about cutting costs with a payroll this low?

Because (hopefully) we're going to start working to extend our young core, resign & extend Burnes and grab 1 or 2 top pitchers in Free Agency next year.

9 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I really want to know what some of you think Connor Norby and Kyle Stowers are going to do at the MLB level over the next six years. Because while I think they'll both have value, I don't think either are much more than role-players on a team that wants to contend for the World Series.

Even assuming Trevor Rogers is who he is right now, he's at least a role-player in an area of desperate need for us right now.

Well considering Norby has hit EVERYWHERE he has been, I would say he will be a solid major league 2nd basemen. In my eyes, Norby alone was a fair trade. Adding Stowers made it an overpay.

1 minute ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

What you just said is why teams don't stay competitive for longer lengths of time.  Value is value regardless of surplus. This stinks of a panic move.

Not sure I get your point. We've known for a while that Norby and Stowers had to go. Does keeping them in Norfolk in 2025 help the Orioles stay competitive longer? They didnt hold as much value as a lot of peope here think. In fact Stowers had very little value clearly. Where does Norby play on the Orioles in 2025 to help us stay competitive? The entire infield is pretty much accounted for, as are the corner outfield positions if we keep Cowser and Kjerstad around. Doesnt even count if we re-sign santander. We upgraded our rotation and subsequently our bullpen for two guys that will not play here. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, J.D. said:

I mean cost in a prospect sort of way, not a money sort of way. It will cost you a top-four prospect to get Scott. Are you cool with trading a Basallo or a Mayo for him? I'm not. 

Nobody in their right mind would give up Mayo or Basallo for 2 months of Tanner Scott.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Now I'm going to argue the other side of this trade.

You can easily "slice" this as a favorable trade for the O's. 2.5 years of cost controlled league average starting pitcher with upside for two players who are blocked at the ML level isn't an obvious bad trade. All the sites that evaluate trades based on future projected value show this as a significant underpay by the Orioles.

I don't personally like Taylor, but you can't objectively say this is 100% bad trade, because its not.

Great, so we have 3 more years of this trash pitcher instead of just renting him. What’s not to love? What a joke. 

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm sorry to break it to you that I heard we've got him for another two years after this season, too.

joker-heath-ledger.gif

Oh, I know. I'm strictly concerned about this year. Because, presumably, Rubenstein will open up the pocket book and not just throw out hats next year, so we can fix holes in the rotation by actually spending. Guys like Rogers via FA are a dime a dozen.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course he had a choice.

He could have gone big.

But he's risk adverse.  Not the worst thing to be, but a bit boring to watch.

and doesn't win titles, sad to say. See Florida Panthers for latest example.

Just now, E-D-D-I-E said:

Well considering Norby has hit EVERYWHERE he has been, I would say he will be a solid major league 2nd basemen. In my eyes, Norby alone was a fair trade. Adding Stowers made it an overpay.

The Marlins didnt agree. I'm sure MIke tried to make it work for less. Stowers does not have much value here or on the trade market unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Tbone83 said:

Eflin is a better pitcher and we got him for WAY less.

I'd imagine the asking price for Skubal and Crochet must be INSANE if this is what Norby and Stowers gets us.

That's been the basic feeling according to the insiders today. They've labeled Skubal as having no chance of getting dealt as things stand right now because of Detroit's asking price, and Crochet is in a situation where both the asking price is astronomical and the guy's said he's not pitching in October without a new contract. So most believe Crochet isn't moving, either. And Snell probably isn't actually on the market given that San Francisco is still in the playoff mix (because everyone in the NL is).

I would have rather dealt for Tyler Anderson than Trevor Rogers, no doubt. But Tyler Anderson is also 34 years old and had a 5.43 ERA last year. So I definitely get the trade.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Ahh  the old if you take out the bad he's really good!

Kimbrel has a 100% save rate in games in which he doesn't blow the save.

You can do this to some degree and still be reasonable. I'd love to, for example, have a guy on the team who in one start gave up 10 runs in one inning and pitched to a 3.00 ERA in the rest of them. Yes, the 10 runs in one inning is a thing he did, but the 3.00 ERA is probably much more reflective of what he'll do going forward than whatever his season ERA is.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Malike said:

We want all the good players, but we demand you take our marginal prospects for them - Most of OH.

Marginal prospects get you, Trevor Rogers.

But we only wanted to give up one of them!

Couldn't they take a ML player we don't like anymore instead?

• Haha 1

It’s “Risk averse,” for those who keep using the term incorrectly, but at least everybody knows what you mean..

And that’s the problem. Elias paid too much for a bad pitcher, wanting to take credit for his resurrection. We need somebody good, not somebody who was good a couple years ago, has been terrible since, and is cheap as a result.

And Rogers wasn’t cheap, either.

So, in an effort to avoid risk, Elias made a terrible purchase of a guy who sucks, hoping he can turn him around.

And that’s incredibly risky, especially because it cost our best ammo, and now we’ve nothing left that we are willing to spend.