Westburg Fractured Right Hand

RVAOsFan

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?

What would that have accomplished?

It might make teams more hesitant to throw inside against Orioles hitters. I don't think any of them have been intentional but we've had too many HBPs this year. Personally if it were me during the last series with each of our division rivals I'm putting one in the ribs of Judge, Guerrero, Devers, and Diaz. We are going to be very competitive in this division for awhile and I do think we need to be more proactive about protecting our young hitters. 

The Orioles are well-prepared to handle Westburg's injury, though. You need to call up Mayo and put him in at third. Urias is also still around. This is why you don't trade premier position players for pitchers who are rentals. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

That’s what I’d do, too.  Fortunately, Urias has hit very well of late.  

This is an important distinction. I don't think they'll call Mayo up just yet.

• Upvote 1

Not sure why our batters aren't wearing the same kind of hand armor Ohtani is wearing. I'm sure it is a "feel" thing, but if we all chip in $5 we can send at least a few pairs.
image.png.5cc5677eeae40e1436191901e40cc0aa.png

Pitchers aren't going to get less tired from here on out.

8 minutes ago, Tbone83 said:

Somebody on Toronto should have been plunked today. Obviously not intentional by them but come on. McCann gets his face taken off and now we lose one of our top 5 position players?

They are playing the Yankees this weekend, they'll have some bruises real soon.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I will predict Elias says screw it and calls up Mayo. The heck with playing it safe at this point. 

Holliday will act as backup SS for now, Urias backs up 3B and 2B. 

Soto/Vavra/Maton remain in AAA in case of further emergency. 

I'm not even sure that's a "screw it" move. It seems to me like the obvious move. I can't think of a reason why you don't bring up Mayo now. 

BRUTAL for Westburg. Such a solid player.

The obvious play is Mayo, but i totally see them riding w/ Urias and Vavra/Soto back up role. Elias says Mayo is "in the mix" -- but my guess is the mix is Aug 31st like Gunnar 2 yrs ago.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. It would accomplish nothing. Just like when two of our guys took one for Judge being unintentionally hit. I get it, just sick of seeing our guys just take it. 3 really bad HBP this month. Kjerstad McCann Westburg. 

1 minute ago, crawjo said:

It might make teams more hesitant to throw inside against Orioles hitters. I don't think any of them have been intentional but we've had too many HBPs this year. Personally if it were me during the last series with each of our division rivals I'm putting one in the ribs of Judge, Guerrero, Devers, and Diaz. We are going to be very competitive in this division for awhile and I do think we need to be more proactive about protecting our young hitters. 

Prior to today, Orioles hitters had been hit 46 times.  That’s exactly the major league average.  It’s not like teams are picking on the Orioles or something.   The O’s have hit opposing batters 42 times.   It happens.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, crawjo said:

The Orioles are well-prepared to handle Westburg's injury, though. You need to call up Mayo and put him in at third. Urias is also still around. This is why you don't trade premier position players for pitchers who are rentals. 

I mean, it makes total sense.  I think the fact that JH played well today and provided a spark might give Elias the confidence to bring up Mayo and see if he can do the same.  The team looked a lot better today.  Much more relaxed. 

Players know who the best guys in the organization are.  When they see guys who obviously suck playing over guys who they know are better?  I think it is bad for team morale.  Bringing up Mayo may be just what the doctor ordered and would be the final chapter of bringing up the great draft picks from the last few years.  I think the team would like that. 

3 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

My uneducated diagnosis is it takes 6 weeks to heal and a couple more to strengthen. We are probably looking at playoff return at best situation.

I would think him coming back just in time for the playoffs would have to almost be considered a lock.  That is a full 60 days.  Like I said fractures in the hand heal pretty quickly. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Prior to today, Orioles hitters had been hit 46 times.  That’s exactly the major league average.  It’s not like teams are picking on the Orioles or something.   The O’s have hit opposing batters 42 times.   It happens.  

I know. But the Kjerstad hasn't been the same since his HBP, and now Westburg is gone for maybe two months. Our position players are more valuable to us than the position players of most other teams. I'd still send a message. I mean, if Bob Gibson were in our rotation, I feel like he would know exactly what to do in this situation. 

Mayo was just called up.  BOOM.  Love this move.  Hated the reason for it but I think Elias realizes it is time to go all in on the young Birdlings.

The team is going to love this as well imo. 

EDIT:  NVM might be a troll tweet.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

Mayo was just called up.  BOOM.  Love this move.  Hated the reason for it but I think Elias realizes it is time to go all in on the young Birdlings.

The team is going to love this as well imo. 

It's not real. Just a Twitter troll.