Westburg Fractured Right Hand

RVAOsFan

3 hours ago, 24fps said:

Really terrible news.  Add me to the list of people hoping for his return before the postseason.

I believe he can make it back prior to the regular season as long as it was a clean break that doesn’t require surgery and hopefully then have enough time to shake off some rust and get back to MLB game speed.

Was in a terrible car wreck a few months ago when I was hit by a garbage truck. Hand in splint for a week followed by a cast for 3 weeks. Was told it would take additional 4 weeks for full movement but within the first week post cast coming off, it was completely healed.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

I believe he can make it back prior to the regular season as long as it was a clean break that doesn’t require surgery and hopefully then have enough time to shake off some rust and get back to MLB game speed.

Was in a terrible car wreck a few months ago when I was hit by a garbage truck. Hand in splint for a week followed by a cast for 3 weeks. Was told it would take additional 4 weeks for full movement but within the first week post cast coming off, it was completely healed.

That sounds terrible and pretty scary. Glad to hear you had a quick recovery. 

18 hours ago, LGOrioles said:

Makes no sense. Soto is a lefty. He’s not playing against a RHP over Gunnar/Holliday and probably not against a LHP either. Literally just seems like an injury replacement. 

If you are looking for a RH shortstop in this organization you'll be looking for a long time.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/orioles

AAA - Soto, Maton, and Servideo all LH

AA - Burns and Bencosme, both LH

A+ - Vasquez is LH and Young is a SH (not sure about his splits)

A- - Arias is a SH (again, splits?) but we do have Maikol Hernandez and Adam Crampton (injured) who are RH

Rookie - Sanchez is LH, Amparo, Peguero, and Guevara are all SH (!)... but everyone's favorite 18-year-old, Luis Almeyda, is a RH

Whew. That's crazy right there. Elias is alergic to right handed SS's.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Orange said:

If you are looking for a RH shortstop in this organization you'll be looking for a long time.

A- - Arias is a SH (again, splits?) but we do have Maikol Hernandez and Adam Crampton (injured) who are RH

Rookie - Sanchez is LH, Amparo, Peguero, and Guevara are all SH (!)... but everyone's favorite 18-year-old, Luis Almeyda, is a RH

Well, he did just draft one in O'Ferrall. :)

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Orange said:

Niko Goodrum

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Well, he did just draft one in O'Ferrall. :)

And wouldn’t be surprised if at least two were drafted in 2025 with potential 4 first round/comp picks (Os, competitive balance, QO Burnes, QO Santander).

• Upvote 1

Did anyone notice the splint contraption on Westys hand while in the dugout yesterday?  I saw it briefly during a replay and it was LARGE.  Roch even commented on the splint in his blog “The plastic cast that Westburg wears runs up to his elbow and isolates his thumb.”

On 8/1/2024 at 11:47 AM, Orange said:

Mateo?

This off-season will provide great insight into how much Rubenstein is invested in this club.  I am still hopeful he will do his best to keep at least one of Burnes and Tony Taters.  Show us you are ready to play with the big boys Rubenstein.

I do feel like Westburg and Mayo are on a bit of a seesaw.    If the healing outlook is very favorable once Mayo is around 40ish active roster days, who knows the play.

Mayo this fall might be a little short of the club's best 9 everyday bats if Westburg can rejoin the group.

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2024 at 2:59 PM, Say O! said:

And wouldn’t be surprised if at least two were drafted in 2025 with potential 4 first round/comp picks (Os, competitive balance, QO Burnes, QO Santander).

The competitive balance pick the Orioles get next year will be after the 2nd round. The may get another supplemental first if Cowser wins ROY.

Edited by jcarm
Minor edit
  • Thanks 1