Yanks Release JD Davis, Any Interest? (Update: O's sign him)

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I guess they did have interest since they signed him. I'm hoping it's for minor league depth and not to send Mayo back to AAA.

That’s the question. If it’s a major league deal it has to be Coby that goes down. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

It makes sense as depth. Have to see how long they give Coby.  

This. I love this deal if it's a minor league deal and Davis goes to AAA as a backup in case Mayo struggles. But I want Mayo to be given at least 2 more weeks. If he's struggling at a Holliday the first time level at that point, then Davis is a fine insurance policy. 

Glad to see it's a minor league deal. Didn't see the O's optioning Mayo after only 12 ABs. Now if he goes 1-35 like Holliday did and looks overmatched, then sure, they won't hesitate. 

So far to me he doesn't look as overmatched as Holliday did. 

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Minor league deal. No complaints. Sure he has an opt out the last week of August in case any other contenders are interested.

Mayo is on notice.

Possible he could also be extra call up in September.  

I'm OK with a minor league deal. I'd lose my mind if it was a major league deal.

A reminder: JD Davis is a butcher with the glove at 3B and doesn't have a bat. I'm OK with injury assurance for, say, Mountcastle. But I don't want this guy sniffing 3B with the O's. 

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'm OK with a minor league deal. I'd lose my mind if it was a major league deal.

A reminder: JD Davis is a butcher with the glove at 3B and doesn't have a bat. I'm OK with injury assurance for, say, Mountcastle. But I don't want this guy sniffing 3B with the O's. 

I think he's better than Mayo at 3B right now. Mayo belongs at first or DH. Davis is pretty bad, but has experience and at least knows how to play the position. As a minor league deal it's fine since we have no depth. Mayo isn't hitting yet either, so we aren't doing anything unexpected. 

Just now, O-The-Memories said:

I think he's better than Mayo at 3B right now. Mayo belongs at first or DH. Davis is pretty bad, but has experience and at least knows how to play the position. As a minor league deal it's fine since we have no depth. Mayo isn't hitting yet either, so we aren't doing anything unexpected. 

Oh, I don't think Mayo should sniff 3B up here in the majors, but I'd rather Mayo's offensive upside. I'm just not convinced JD's glove at 3B is that much better (if at all) than Mayo's. And I'm very bearish on Mayo at 3B. I think he's Mark Reynolds, but he at least has the ability to get better over there. JD is who he is.