Three Wishes for MLB

Jagwar

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I think that every team should have the same amount to spend. It should be in a range say $300-$350 million based on total revenue calculations. The money is then put in a separate account for payroll expenses and everyone has same amount. If they have to break the union then so be it. I know the O’s actually reside somewhere in the middle but it’s no fun being a Pirate, Rays, fan etc,

Only the players themselves can vote to break or decertified their own union . But the top players and the top agents are very strong though 

18 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Just curious. Why "No" to an International Draft?

I think there should be if the players meet the Amateur criteria. It shouldn’t apply to players over a certain age or # of years in professional baseball. 

Edited by Roll Tide

44 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sign whoever you want is fine. As long as there’s a pool of money you can spend, go nuts. It’s fine the way it is, IMO. 

Fair enough. I suppose I want not only dollar equality but I want the same system that is used to determine draft order. I don't understand why there should be any difference in the way teams select domestic players compared to how they select international players

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Fair enough. I suppose I want not only dollar equality but I want the same system that is used to determine draft order. I don't understand why there should be any difference in the way teams select domestic players compared to how they select international players

I don’t either. 

But now that we have a program and a facility down there, I’m less inclined to agree with an international draft. If we really are going to be good for the next 5-10 years, we’re going to be picking at the back half of each round. 

I don’t want us picking at the back half of each round in the international draft, too.    If there’s a 2 million kid that we want out of the Dominican, I want us to be able to get him.  If they want to spend 50k on 20 guys each and maybe one of them turns into the next Acuña, that’s great too.

I’m really not interested in what’s considered fair when it comes to the international market when the Orioles refused to deal in it under the Angelos regime. IMO, fair is each team having the freedom to set up whatever facilities they want down there and a cap on how much they can spend yearly. If some dumb team like the Rockies doesn’t have a presence down there, well, too bad. No one’s stopping them and a draft shouldn’t be held to bail out their incompetence. 

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don’t either. 

But now that we have a program and a facility down there, I’m less inclined to agree with an international draft. If we really are going to be good for the next 5-10 years, we’re going to be picking at the back half of each round. 

I don’t want us picking at the back half of each round in the international draft, too.    If there’s a 2 million kid that we want out of the Dominican, I want us to be able to get him.  If they want to spend 50k on 20 guys each and maybe one of them turns into the next Acuña, that’s great too.

I’m really not interested in what’s considered fair when it comes to the international market when the Orioles refused to deal in it under the Angelos regime. IMO, fair is each team having the freedom to set up whatever facilities they want down there and a cap on how much they can spend yearly. If some dumb team like the Rockies doesn’t have a presence down there, well, too bad. No one’s stopping them and a draft shouldn’t be held to bail out their incompetence. 

All great insight. So what if a Dominican can't miss prospect thinks that $2 million from the Dodgers or Yankees is worth more in the long run than $2 million from the O's?

Just now, Jagwar said:

All great insight. So what if a Dominican can't miss prospect thinks that $2 million from the Dodgers or Yankees is worth more in the long run than $2 million from the O's?

Then that’s his prerogative, unfortunately. 

I don’t believe it’s a foolproof situation as currently constructed. I‘m just looking at it being selfish for the Orioles.  Like I said, if we’re gonna be good I don’t want us picking in the late part of the rounds in the draft AND an international draft. 

4 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I like the challenge system at AAA. Not sure how many challenges you should have per team but I like it.  

The challenge system is better than the current MLB system.  Teams get three challenges and they don’t lose them if the challenge is successful. When they use full ABS, it is so seamless, most fans don’t even realize it’s being used. 

5 minutes ago, Big Al said:

The challenge system is better than the current MLB system.  Teams get three challenges and they don’t lose them if the challenge is successful. When they use full ABS, it is so seamless, most fans don’t even realize it’s being used. 

Tonight’s game is a great argument for ABS.