I hate watching pitchers who can’t hold runners

Frobby

I’ve been saying this in the game threads for a long time. Pitchers holding runners has been an epidemic for 15-20 years now. I saw this when I was finishing up playing ball. Most pitchers only have the quick throw over move when they are coming set. Rarely the pitcher holds the ball anymore and comes over. Rarely does a pitcher have multiple different moves anymore. Base running couldn’t be any easier than it is right now. That the team is too scared to talk to Burnes and Kimbrel says something as well. 

8 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If you are bad at holding runners, you need to make sure you don't give them a free pass to begin with.  It's very hard to keep the other team from scoring when a leadoff walk turns into a triple.  

Cano is the only guy I trust in the bullpen now.  The bullpen will be the death of this team in the playoffs.  

Check back the next bad outing that Cano has. Playoffs/ Dont talk to me about Playoffs, we'll be lucky if we ....

14 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I’ve been saying this in the game threads for a long time. Pitchers holding runners has been an epidemic for 15-20 years now. I saw this when I was finishing up playing ball. Most pitchers only have the quick throw over move when they are coming set. Rarely the pitcher holds the ball anymore and comes over. Rarely does a pitcher have multiple different moves anymore. Base running couldn’t be any easier than it is right now. That the team is too scared to talk to Burnes and Kimbrel says something as well. 

The new rules have something to do w that.

59 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Signing Kimbrel was a mistake for an already shaky bullpen.

For $13 million the O's should have gotten a much more dependable reliever.  One that doesn't randomly implode or have usage rules that if he exceeds he can't get anyone out.

1 hour ago, Keygans said:

True,  sucks.  But very hard to win a game scoring 1 run.  

Ticks me off that we even have Perez and Kimbrel in the pen, and worse that Hyde used them in such a close game… I don’t care that Kimbrel hadn’t pitched in 5 days.  Let him pitch tomorrow on the off day…

Today was the first time all year that Perez blew a lead.   

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

For $13 million the O's should have gotten a much more dependable reliever.  One that doesn't randomly implode or have usage rules that if he exceeds he can't get anyone out.

Maybe?

Relief pitchers are a volatile commodity.

I'm sure we can look now and come up with a list of names that would have been an improvement, but how many of those names would have been on the list back on December 7th?

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Today was the first time all year that Perez blew a lead.   

Wow, thanks, that tidbit surprised me.   I stand corrected.   I just don’t… exude confidence when he comes in.   

When you are a talented team it comes down to doing the little things that great teams, that win championships, do:

1) do you hold runners well?

2) do you field your position?

3)  do you take the extra base because you got a good secondary lead?

4) Do you throw to the correct base to not allow the runner to take it?

5) Do you hit the cutoff man?

6) Is the cutoff man in the correct position?

Etc, etc etc...

This is the stuff that good teams work on in Spring Training and great teams never stop working on. When I was originally falling in love with the Orioles it was called "the Oriole Way." That was a long time ago.

I think holding runners on is overrated.

The goal should be keeping guys off base in the first place.

Mostly when guys are on base I'd rather the pitcher spend most of his energy and focus on the hitter.

Edited by Can_of_corn

3 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

When you are a talented team it comes down to doing the little things that great teams, that win championships, do:

1) do you hold runners well?

2) do you field your position?

3)  do you take the extra base because you got a good secondary lead?

4) Do you throw to the correct base to not allow the runner to take it?

5) Do you hit the cutoff man?

6) Is the cutoff man in the correct position?

Etc, etc etc...

This is the stuff that good teams work on in Spring Training and great teams never stop working on. When I was originally falling in love with the Orioles it was called "the Oriole Way." That was a long time ago.

The Orioles are a team that mostly does all of those things.