Soto up, Mayo down

deward

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It did not seem like they were really looking to evaluate him, otherwise he would have played more. I think they just saw an opportunity to give him a taste of the bigs and he got his opportunity.

I thought they did it just to shut up @Roy Firestone.  But it didn’t work!  😉

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think the move was a reaction to his performance. It did not seem like they were really looking to evaluate him, otherwise he would have played more. I think they just saw an opportunity to give him a taste of the bigs and he got his opportunity. He could have hit better and the result would likely have been the same. He may be back anyway when rosters expand and he still has ROY eligibility.

Zero chance he gets sent back down if he hits really well.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

And it’s an awful assessment based off of a tiny sample size.

My guess is Mayo being sent down has everything to do with Eloy's performance coupled with some depth signings available at 3B along with Mayo not showing much of anything offensively. 

Is Mayo still up here if Eloy completely and utterly crapped the bed? I think so, to be honest. But somebody (SIGBOT?) must think it's more likely Eloy will continue to contribute as a DH and provide value than Mayo and his poor defense would contribute with the bat over the next x period of time. But it seems very temporary. If Eloy stinks, that calculus could change. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

My guess is Mayo being sent down has everything to do with Eloy's performance coupled with some depth signings available at 3B along with Mayo not showing much of anything offensively. 

Is Mayo still up here if Eloy completely and utterly crapped the bed? I think so, to be honest. But somebody (SIGBOT?) must think it's more likely Eloy will continue to contribute as a DH and provide value than Mayo and his poor defense would contribute with the bat over the next x period of time. But it seems very temporary. If Eloy stinks, that calculus could change. 

That's a good assessment of the situation if you ask me. Westburg's injury "forced" Mayo up before I think Elias wanted him up. The fact that he hasn't done well offensively, but especially defensively was only part of the reason to send him back down. They may not like the matchup with the Red Sox starters as well.

They appear to be happier with Urias at 3B and Jimenez at DH right now. Personally, I would not have sent him back and played him everyday at 3B/DH and use Jimenez off the bench when he DHes.

His throwing woes really hurt him IMHO. I've watched him a bunch in his career and he never looked that bad consistently on his throws. I think it got into his head. 

• Upvote 1

“I think it’s actually a positive experience that he had up here,” manager Brandon Hyde said of Mayo. “When you go back down, now you understand what the speed of the game is up here. The importance of certain things. Just what major league pitching looks like. I think Coby’s going to be better for it, just like Cowser was, just like Grayson was. Jackson earlier this year.

“He’s really tight with (first baseman) Anthony Rizzo, who I’m close with obviously. This happened to Anthony, too. Anthony broke in with San Diego and then went down, and when he came back up with the Cubs, he never looked back. This is a part of being a young player and now he knows what it’s like up here.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/hyde-on-mayo

• Upvote 1

They obviously weren't comfortable with him in the field.  I think they would of kept him up of he they trust is his glove.  He hit enough hard balls and didn't look horrible at the plate.  

With that being said, they have been watching him for years, they knew what his glove was.  I would of kept him up and let him DH some more.  

11 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

When Kjestad gets past this concussion and starts to hit again, and then you get Mayo going, this is going to be a treacherous team to pitch against.

Along with equally treacherous defense...😉

5 minutes ago, Otter said:

Along with equally treacherous defense...😉

Some of why I'm sure Santander is gone is Kjerstad looking like an OPACY RF only.     Nobody cares much what you do on a postage stamp if you have the potential to hit even three steps away from say Manny Ramirez.

Mayo's been a 3B his whole life and might not make it, Kjerstad's been a RF his whole life and I think will post a bigger number of defensive innings there than Mayo will at 3B.

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Some of why I'm sure Santander is gone is Kjerstad looking like an OPACY RF only.     Nobody cares much what you do on a postage stamp if you have the potential to hit even three steps away from say Manny Ramirez.

Mayo's been a 3B his whole life and might not make it, Kjerstad's been a RF his whole life and I think will post a bigger number of defensive innings there than Mayo will at 3B.

Agreed.  From what I've seen I'm comfortable with Kjerstad in RF...I don't think he'd ever sniff a GG but I bet he can be solid there.  And once Westburg comes back, I don't see Mayo ever playing 3B for the O's again.