8/16 - Red Sox vs. Orioles

86this

Just now, Say O! said:

Huh?  In his 24 starts, Burnes has thrown less than 90 pitches on just three occasions, opening day (82) and May13th (85), and June27th (88).  Otherwise he averages and consistently goes mid to high 90s in terms of pitch counts. 

after a couple dink hits in 1st inning, he looks fine to me tonight. 

I dont have the game but he wanted out at 88 pitches recently...

15 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The only other LHP on the Red Sox staff tonight looks like he has gone 3 out of the last 4 days, so I might seriously pinch hit O'Hearn for Eloy next time.

1st inning probably would have been a little embarrassing for all involved.

I believe it was illegal to pinch hit for Eloy the first time through the order.

The Earl Weaver Rule.

Around 1980-82 time frame, Earl often had a platoon at DH.   Crowley or Dwyer from the left side, Ayala or Morales from the right side.

So on a few occasions, he would list a starting pitcher who wasn't going to pitch as the DH.   The DH would bat 6th or 7th.   So JUST IN CASE we knocked the starter out in the first inning before the DH came up, Earl wouldn't have to decide who to use as DH until the spot came up, then he would pinch hit that guy for the listed pitcher.   One time he used Tippy Martinez as the official DH when Tippy wasn't even with the team, he had a death in the family (don't think they had a bereavement list back then).

So the next offseason they passed a rule that the DH must bat at least once in the game.   And I believe that rule is still on the books.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I believe it was illegal to pinch hit for Eloy the first time through the order.

The Earl Weaver Rule.

Around 1980-82 time frame, Earl often had a platoon at DH.   Crowley or Dwyer from the left side, Ayala or Morales from the right side.

So on a few occasions, he would list a starting pitcher who wasn't going to pitch as the DH.   The DH would bat 6th or 7th.   So JUST IN CASE we knocked the starter out in the first inning before the DH came up, Earl wouldn't have to decide who to use as DH until the spot came up, then he would pinch hit that guy for the listed pitcher.   One time he used Tippy Martinez as the official DH when Tippy wasn't even with the team, he had a death in the family (don't think they had a bereavement list back then).

So the next offseason they passed a rule that the DH must bat at least once in the game.   And I believe that rule is still on the books.

I was aware about Weaver but not the rule still being in place. Interesting. 

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The Earl Weaver Rule.

Ahem, adjusts glasses:

Rule 5.11(a)(2): The Designated Hitter named in the starting lineup must come to bat at least one time, unless the opposing club changes pitchers.

• Thanks 1