Some recent age 29 comps for Anthony Santander (HR focused)

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Where are you and a few others getting “Ant” from?   Why drop the S?  Every time I see this it takes me a minute to remember who the poster is talking about.  We don’t Henderson “End” or Rutschman “Uts.”  It makes no sense to me. 

I agree that it’s unlikely that Kjerstad will fully replicate Santander’s production in his first full major league season.  It could happen, but odds are against it.  Sometimes you have to bite that bullet, though, due to longer term considerations.  

Agreed but I don’t know if they can afford to bite that bullet on the field in this window.

Ant is short for Anthony. 

10 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Agreed but I don’t know if they can afford to bite that bullet on the field in this window.

Ant is short for Anthony. 

Ah, that had never even occurred to me.  Are people named Anthony frequently called “Ant?”  That’s not a diminutive I’ve heard before.  

Contenders bite bullets like that all the time, like when the Astros replaced Carlos Correa with Jeremy Peña.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ah, that had never even occurred to me.  Are people named Anthony frequently called “Ant?”  That’s not a diminutive I’ve heard before.  

Contenders bite bullets like that all the time, like when the Astros replaced Carlos Correa with Jeremy Peña.

Ant.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Where are you and a few others getting “Ant” from?   Why drop the S?  Every time I see this it takes me a minute to remember who the poster is talking about.  We don’t Henderson “End” or Rutschman “Uts.”  It makes no sense to me. 

I agree that it’s unlikely that Kjerstad will fully replicate Santander’s production in his first full major league season.  It could happen, but odds are against it.  Sometimes you have to bite that bullet, though, due to longer term considerations.  

As always, great insight Frobby. I think it is unlikely Santander would do a 3 year deal and if the Yankees dont re-sign Soto,they'd throw a 5 -6 year deal at him. Seattle or the White Sox might too. I think we make a generous QO for Tony, but don't expect to sign him., and get a pick.He's been great this season at the plate and on the field, but I think it's unlikely he matches this season over 3 more seasons. I like Kjerstad and Matt's power potential next year, though both players leave something to be desired defensively.I just dont think Tony will wear the Orioles uniform next year.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One of those guys is a World Series MVP!

We saw Rio Ruiz loyalty in early days - Mike Elias is I believe going to see if Heston Kjerstad can play.

He might get a worse lineup spot relative to Coby Mayo as he'll be on the bad side of that 45 active roster days thing even though with the present concussion he may not attain 130 career at bats this season.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I'm guessing it is the same folks who referred to Manny as Chad. Baseball player nicknames would be interesting for a linguist to study and tell us what it all means.

3 hours ago, banks703 said:

I just don’t love HK as a prospect. Big power but I don’t see enough contact to get excited about him against ML pitching. Plus he is a terrible defensive outfielder who will likely end up as a DH, which means that he would occupy a spot in the lineup that should go to a regular who needs a spell from the field. 

Eh …. Based on what? He has a .380 ish OBP in the minors. In 70 ABs so far this year his OBP is .370 OBP and that includes a 2 for 18 after being plunked. 

In terms of comps, BB-ref has these as “similarity scores” for Santander.  It appears these were done prior to this current season.  Jay Buhner is an interesting case, not just b/c the Seinfeld reference, he fell just short of Frobby’ 100HR threshold but then hit 40 HRs in three straight years in age 30, 31, and 32 seasons.  then promptly started getting injured in age 33 season and was never the same player.

image.thumb.png.0ddfb6b9d332cc6f5439a5ebea8d43de.png

57 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Eh …. Based on what? He has a .380 ish OBP in the minors. In 70 ABs so far this year his OBP is .370 OBP and that includes a 2 for 18 after being plunked. 

It’s just what I see with my eyes. I don’t have the numbers in front of me but the holes in swing tell me that he’s going to struggle long-term with major league heat and movement. The book on him already is to pitch him in (taking one in the head is scary but I didn’t think that was on purpose, it was just them jamming him in and the ball got away from what’s his face). Even at Norfolk and Bowie I didn’t see much in-game adjustment from him when he struggled (I realize this can improve but I haven’t liked what I’ve seen) and there have been whispers that his dad is too involved. Plus he is terrible outfield defender and looked like a fish out of water at first.

I love the power. That’s always fun but I don’t see much else developing with him. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see it. 

One thing I will say is that the better majority of Anthony's damage has been in the 27, 28, 29 season rather than the younger 25 and 26. He has also gotten better each of those years. Not sure if thats similar with the rest of the list, or if they were better younger or just consistent over the 5 years. Also, being a switch hitter and being good from both sides is something I think gets over looked and is a big need for the Orioles.

6 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Maybe. Until they are, they are not. Santander is. If we truly are in a win now mode, we should re-sign him. It’s not my money, though. 

Mayo, Kjerstad and Basallo are a few years away from being the hitters they should eventually be. We are being spoiled to an extent by what Adley, Gunnar and Westburg have done. Perhaps add Cowser to the list on a bit lower tier just yet. There is a learning curve that Tony has gone through, and it takes time. Our young stars strike out way too much. Good numbers otherwise, but the K’s are killing us at times. 

Assuming a finite budget, would you rather have Santander for 5/$100 or Eovaldi for 3/$70 and Santander's comp pick?

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

If Elias lets Santander walk to make room for Kjerstad or Mayo in the lineup I trust him. I’d be far more disappointed if he lets Burnes walk as we are bar heavy.

Sandander production is up-- Burnes is down both recently and reflected by his his diminishing seasonal peripherals.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Assuming a finite budget, would you rather have Santander for 5/$100 or Eovaldi for 3/$70 and Santander's comp pick?

Good question. I would need a long look at Eovaldi’s medicals.

Is Santander’s fifth year a team option for $30 million? 😂 

I get it, choosing wisely to spend the limited resources. We need some consistency from our veterans, and Santander is finally that guy after being largely a streaky hitter his entire career here. The young guys are so dreadfully inconsistent. Some very mediocre pitchers have shut us down this year. How long do we have this window? Three more years?

It’s a tough call, but I will say Santander. Being a switch-hitter, powerful run-producer and a solid defender. Pitchers are so risky. With Eflin and Rodriguez leading the way, Rogers, Kremer, Povich, McDermott, and pick up two or three more cheaper guys. Perhaps Kjerstad nets us some solid young pitching. Bradish gets back in 2026 and takes over for Eflin.

Two other minor thoughts occurs to me. Will Santander be a mentor, of sorts, for a young guy like Basallo? Is Santander a guy who helps us with “street cred” in Venezuela and the DR? I think that might be a bit of a thing when recruiting the young international prospects. 

What about extending Gunnar and Adley? I think those two are more important than any other contract discussion. The only free agent pitcher I want would be Burnes, but we’ll see what they do. 

36 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Would you rather give Santander 3 years 60 mil, or Ohearn 3 years 30 mil?

Santander 100 times out of 100.

That would be a Bargain for Tony at this point.

Edited by terpoh