Quit bitchin about the pitchin

zweem

The offense is offensive. Yeah the overall offense looks good-  10runs, 11runs, 1 run , 2 runs,2 runs does not make an even 500 team. We seem to have a statistic (whole lotta runs) verses a consistent, reliable, winning offense.

The bullpen doesn't get a pass for their performance. I will say given the current level of talent in the bullpen they're playing about as well as possible (which is mediocre).

Two relatively close games these last two nights turned into larger deficits thanks to the Orioles relievers bringing a gas can and matches to the mound. Elias should have added another bullpen arm before the start of the season. Kimbrel wasn't enough and now he looks completely washed.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

The O's/Elias needs to develop more pitching.  The O's are a good team now and can't grab good pitchers off the waiver wire.  The O's even with how they are playing are one of the last teams able to place claims on the waiver wire.  The O's haven't even developed hardly any relievers.  Most of the relievers the O's have had in their bullpen have been acquired in trades and off the waiver wire.  Face it our pitching development (starters and relievers) sucks.  That is a big part of the failure of the bullpen this year is that there are no pitchers in AAA ready to supplement the pen.  The pitching in Norfolk has been some of the worst in AAA other than Povich and McDermott and a couple of others.  Even with the great offense there most of the year, they have been mostly a .500 team.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The whole idea that somewhere there are teams with “consistent” offenses that average 5 runs a game and never score below 4 is a fantasy.  Here are the top 5 offenses in baseball in runs per game, and how often they have scored 5+, 4, 3, 2, 1 and 0 runs.

AZD (5.23): 65-16-14-11-14-4

NYY (5.10): 63-19-13-16-6-7

BAL (5.05): 60-20-15-15-10-4

BOS (5.02): 64-16-9-12-16-5

LAD (4.93): 60-23-15-10-11-5

There’s really nothing to choose from there in terms of consistency.   

No matter how many facts are used it never works. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The whole idea that somewhere there are teams with “consistent” offenses that average 5 runs a game and never score below 4 is a fantasy.  Here are the top 5 offenses in baseball in runs per game, and how often they have scored 5+, 4, 3, 2, 1 and 0 runs.

AZD (5.23): 65-16-14-11-14-4

NYY (5.10): 63-19-13-16-6-7

BAL (5.05): 60-20-15-15-10-4

BOS (5.02): 64-16-9-12-16-5

LAD (4.93): 60-23-15-10-11-5

There’s really nothing to choose from there in terms of consistency.   

The weakest offenses are probably the most consistent. It’s a lot easier to consistently score few runs. 

• Upvote 1

Boston's offense "got it done" last night because Cano grooved a couple of fat pitches to Yoshida and Duran.  

Sims was able to get Santander out in the bottom of the 7th because he tood advantage of the HP umpire's idiosyncratic strike zone, getting an inside pitch called for strike one and then throwing a pitch to the same spot with two strikes.  Santander had no choice but to swing.    Our relievers don't have enough command to exploit bad calls like that.  

Our hitting is fine overall.  RISP will come and go.  Failure to execute in clutch situations is usually the result of good pitching.  

10 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Boston's offense "got it done" last night because Cano grooved a couple of fat pitches to Yoshida and Duran.  

Sims was able to get Santander out in the bottom of the 7th because he tood advantage of the HP umpire's idiosyncratic strike zone, getting an inside pitch called for strike one and then throwing a pitch to the same spot with two strikes.  Santander had no choice but to swing.    Our relievers don't have enough command to exploit bad calls like that.  

Our hitting is fine overall.  RISP will come and go.  Failure to execute in clutch situations is usually the result of good pitching.  

There’s a lot to what you say.  Cano had a chance to escape the 7th but threw the batter a meatball with 2 strikes.   Sims had a chance to escape his half and did so by executing a really good 2-strike pitch. 

11 hours ago, zweem said:

The offense is offensive. Yeah the overall offense looks good-  10runs, 11runs, 1 run , 2 runs,2 runs does not make an even 500 team. We seem to have a statistic (whole lotta runs) verses a consistent, reliable, winning offense.

I’m not sure if you made a reactionary thread in response to last night’s frustrating loss or you haven’t taken the time to really look at what’s been going on?

But these are the facts:

- There have been 55 games played from June 15 (the day after Kyle Bradish was injured).

- In 29 of those games, we have given up 5 runs or greater. This includes the following - 1 game allowing 19 runs, 1 game allowing 14 runs, 1 game allowing 12 runs, 1 game allowing 11, 2 allowing 10, 3 allowing 9, 4 allowing 8.

- In the past 55 games we have thrown ONE single shutout (a game in which we defeated Seattle 1-0).

- There have been 5 times (during this stretch) where we have managed to go at least 3 consecutive games WITHOUT giving up more than 5 runs. Our longest stretch during this time is 4 games. Which means we haven’t made it through the rotation 1 SINGLE TIME without allowing more than 5 runs in a game. 

- Our average runs allowed per game during this 55 game stretch is 5.47 runs per game.

Our pitching has been amongst the worst in MLB for almost 2 full calendar months worth of games.

Please tell me what Major League team can consistently win or has an offense good enough to overcome pitching like this? 

• Upvote 2

The offense isn’t bad but their timing has sucked. They’ll score 10 when the pitching gives up 12 and then score 1 in a winnable game like last night. That’s not on them but it’s definitely frustrating and probably why it seems like they are so inconsistent. 

3 hours ago, Wavetrapper said:

Burnes (3 crappy starts in a row)

Eflin

Suarez (generally keeps them in most games)

Seranthony 

When 9 out of 13 are unreliable and ineffective, that will lead to bitching about pitching 

I wouldn’t say the Burnes Aug. 10 start was crappy.   6 IP, 3 R.  He had one tough inning.  However, I won’t be taking this next start for granted.