Selby up, Povich down

eddie83

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles trades Trey McGough as part of the deal for Jimenez. He has been lights out as a left-handed reliever this year in AAA. 

image.thumb.png.8f0f5fa4c8161c5097d3a55a351beed4.png

His stuff doesn't overwhelm you when you watch him but he's been pretty dang effective. I would feel much better about him coming up than Selby.

I bet Elias didn’t even ask if they would take waiver fodder guys instead of McGough.

Edited by e16bball

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I bet Elias didn’t even ask if they would take 26-year-old waiver fodder guys instead of McGough.

I bet the WS would have taken a 19 or 20 year old pitching prospect.  McGough pretty was waiver wire fodder but got better as soon as he got to Chicago-what happens to a lot of our pitching prospects.

Ok, and now the bullpen fracas starts. Can’t throw Smith or Cano. Gotta be Perez. But it seems they are gonna let Suarez try to finish the inning. Unlike last time, Suarez IS gettin a bit wild. Last time, he gave no indication he was tired, and should have stayed in. Today, he should have come out, and I’m saying this before the outcome of the Wong AB.

Edit: and Suarez gets the K. Good for him.  The signs were the signs, but I’m glad it worked out.

Edited by HowAboutThat

5 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I wonder how transparent the org is with Povich on a planned 1-day gig.    Did he know before the game?

Hyde pregame talked about the last 40 games being 40 day to day scenarios, especially outside the top 7 pitchers on the roster.

Of course he knew. If it was performance based he would still be on orioles.

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I bet Elias didn’t even ask if they would take waiver fodder guys instead of McGough.

Because Elias obviously sucks at his job? The second guessing around here is out of control.

We got a bat, a 4th OF, a backup SS, and cash. We're not going to get all that for nothing. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Because Elias obviously sucks at his job? The second guessing around here is out of control.

We got a bat, a 4th OF, a backup SS, and cash. We're not going to get all that for nothing. 

My tongue was firmly in cheek on that response.

I assume we’d all rather have McGough up than Selby. But we weren’t going to get Jimenez for some bum like Selby, so…here we are, with Jimenez and Selby instead of McGough.

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

My tongue was firmly in cheek on that response.

I assume we’d all rather have McGough up than Selby. But we weren’t going to get Jimenez for some bum like Selby, so…here we are, with Jimenez and Selby instead of McGough.

Oh sorry about that. It's really hard to detect irony these days when the board is like 90% frustration bordering on hysteria.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Brian88 said:

He hasn't pitched since Thursday, and his last outing before that was on 8/10. I'd consider that fresh for a middle reliever. It only takes a minute to look up on milb.com rather than laughing at someone else's post for no reason.

Thank you

40 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Yep and probably goes down now for fresh arm since we only have 6 guys that can pitch and Akin probably not available.  

Would love to see them get creative and send Rogers down if you need a fresh arm. If you’re gonna trust Selby in a close game like that, keep him up here. Otherwise just keep the status quo for now.

As for who would start in his place later this week: Brandon Young.