8/20 at NY Mets

eddie83

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

Couple more runs and clean innings pitching and we might see the Kimbrel and Soto show in 8th and 9th to close it out.  

Not sure about the "we," since if that happens I might not be able to watch.

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• So I’ve been puzzling why the defending international League/AAA Champion Norfolk Tides (90-59 in the 2023 regular season) have struggled so much this year (66-78 with a week to play).   Is it the fact that most of last year’s top hitters are either out of the organization or spending large chunks of time in the majors?   Maybe a little, but that’s not the main reason.   Simply put, last year the Tides allowed the fewest runs in the league (0.64 runs/game below league average), and this year they’re allowing the most runs/game in the league (0.43 runs/game above league average).   That’s 1.07 runs per game worse than last year, relative to the league average. Even then, it’s a little hard to pin down. The Tides have principally relied on six starters who’ve made 107 starts, and five of the six have been solid to above average.  The only exception has been Justin Arbrueater, who leads the team with 25 starts and 112 IP, but has a brutal 7.75 ERA.  The other five sit between 3.32 and 4.34, in a league where 4.84 ERA is average.   Interestingly, the major league starters who’ve pitched rehab games did terribly there for the most last. Means 6 starts at 8.68 ERA, Kremer 3 starts at 11.42, Bradish 2 starts at 5.40.   Lots of other guys who made 2-4 starts did poorly.   Bullpen guys who’ve been particularly bad at include Kade Stroud (7.11 ERA in 35 games), Nick Vespi (7.36 in 27 games), Wandisson Charles (8.42 in 25 games, and Kaleb Ort (12.08 in 14 games).   Carlos Tavera pitched a mix of starts and relief appearances to a 7.47 ERA. Overall, it’s been a tough year for the Tides staff even though several starting pitchers had solid seasons.    
    • Or an opener. Or bulk pitcher after opener.   GRod, Suarez, dean each get one time through order but with quick hook.
    • Playoff rotation is Burnes, Eflin, Kremer and Suarez. Grayson is a high leverage reliever, perhaps even the closer.
    • Henderson has a 1.139 OPS in September, after two unexciting but not terrible months, following an MVP-level first half. He is having literally the best Orioles season since Cal's MVP year in 1991. There've been only three better Oriole seasons from 1970 onwards and they were all from Cal. What were you expecting?
    • I agree. As long as the ankle feels good, I don’t see why you wait. 
    • Agreed, more goofing around with Elias caution.    Honestly if he is solid I wouldn't hate him in the lineup against Snell tonight.   
    • Henderson and Westburg. Are we supposed to think a guy putting up a nine win season isn't exceeding expectations?
  • Popular Contributors